Road in a 2023 GMC Sierra- way better than prior years

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
My body shop guy drove me home in his 2023 SLT while the 2022 XLT F150 gets the hail damage repaired. While still unacceptably ugly from the front, the interior of the mid range SLT was actually much nicer than my XLT. I'm not one to complaint too much about the F150 interior- I like it infact, but the GM interior was actually probably more on par with the Lariat+ trims. The soft touch materials were so much nicer. The steering wheel was about on par with my leather wrapped wheel. The ebony wood accent were very nice with some choice leather applications. The center screen and how it integrated with the air vents was the real difference. Not only was the screen MUCH more sharp/clear (again, not that I complained about the more vertical Ford screen), but the horizontal layout actually was unexpectedly pleasurable. Leather seats, and not bad leather at that, was the real sticking point. The seats were so much nicer in his 53k truck than in my 62k truck. The F150 definitely felt more roomy. I'd say the F150 also had a slightly smoother ride, but his Sierra was perhaps a little better in the corners. My 2.7 was definitely a stronger feeling engine, but I cant say his 5.3 wasn't smooth and perhaps more linear. I like NA engines personally.

Just my observations on a 35 mile ride. The 2019 Silverado I was a little more familiar with was absolutely terrible compared to this new 23 model. I'd rather have a Gen 12 than that 2019 all day.
Sponsored

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
My body shop guy drove me home in his 2023 SLT while the 2022 XLT F150 gets the hail damage repaired. While still unacceptably ugly from the front, the interior of the mid range SLT was actually much nicer than my XLT. I'm not one to complaint too much about the F150 interior- I like it infact, but the GM interior was actually probably more on par with the Lariat+ trims. The soft touch materials were so much nicer. The steering wheel was about on par with my leather wrapped wheel. The ebony wood accent were very nice with some choice leather applications. The center screen and how it integrated with the air vents was the real difference. Not only was the screen MUCH more sharp/clear (again, not that I complained about the more vertical Ford screen), but the horizontal layout actually was unexpectedly pleasurable. Leather seats, and not bad leather at that, was the real sticking point. The seats were so much nicer in his 53k truck than in my 62k truck. The F150 definitely felt more roomy. I'd say the F150 also had a slightly smoother ride, but his Sierra was perhaps a little better in the corners. My 2.7 was definitely a stronger feeling engine, but I cant say his 5.3 wasn't smooth and perhaps more linear. I like NA engines personally.

Just my observations on a 35 mile ride. The 2019 Silverado I was a little more familiar with was absolutely terrible compared to this new 23 model. I'd rather have a Gen 12 than that 2019 all day.
I hope you showered when you got home?

Plus that 5.3 is a big old turd. Very underpowered. Thats why chevy guys compare the 6 2 to the coyote. They know it is pointless trying to defend that crap

Last edited:
OP
OP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Lead Engineer

Plus that 5.3 is a big old turd. Very underpowered. Thats why chevy guys compare the 6 2 to the coyote. They no it is pointless trying to defend that crap
I'm coming from the 4.6 in my 04 F150, so I actually have a bizarre appreciation for torquey slow NA engines that can pull a bit. I mentioned to the guy how I liked the 2.7 so far, in particular the 24-25mpg mixed I've been getting. He looked at his and it was about 18.5 for the 5.3. If Chevy starts getting an exterior design language down that doesn't look like complete ass, I'll have to see how it does.

Service_Merchandise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150

The SLT is not a direct competitor to the XLT, that would be the SLE. Also the numbers you mentioned aren't matching up. The base SLT with the 5.3 and no options added starts at 61k.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Lead Engineer
The SLT is not a direct competitor to the XLT, that would be the SLE. Also the numbers you mentioned aren't matching up. The base SLT with the 5.3 and no options added starts at 61k.
Ehhh I don't know for certain, but I would kind of disagree after looking a little more into it. With XLTs easily reaching 65k, there's plenty of price overlap with the SLT. The Denali seems more like the platinum and limiteds. The AT4 seems more tremorish.

Also that 5.3 seems to have plenty of power on paper at least.

https://carbuzz.com/cars/gmc/sierra-1500/specs-and-trims

Service_Merchandise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150
Ehhh I don't know for certain, but I would kind of disagree after looking a little more into it. With XLTs easily reaching 65k, there's plenty of price overlap with the SLT. The Denali seems more like the platinum and limiteds. The AT4 seems more tremorish.

True, there is overlap but with good reason and it actually goes for all of the brands. The main reason being that Ford offers its top shelf power trains throughout the entire lineup. Not only can you get the 5.0 and 3.5 in the XLT but also the 3.5 hybrid. On the other hand GMC will not let you have its top shelf 6.2 in the SLE. Neither can you have it in the Chevy LT which is the direct competitor to the XLT. Also you can get a panoramic moonroof with a power shade in the XLT. GMC doesn't offer that in the Denali. So it's no shock to me when you consider what Ford will let you have in the XLT. You can even get leather in the XLT.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer

50 less hp for a larger engine in a much heavier truck......its a dog.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150

Plus that 5.3 is a big old turd. Very underpowered. Thats why chevy guys compare the 6 2 to the coyote. They know it is pointless trying to defend that crap
I really liked the 4.8 in my last truck, an ‘06 Silverado. Got good mileage and had sufficient power for passing and towing.

It was nice around town but always seemed to be in between gears when in traffic. The 10 speed really would have helped it!

That being said; the Coyote/ten speed combination is ridiculous and it’s pretty impossible to use full throttle for more than a moment in the city and on the highway you’re bouncing off the speed governor.

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost

The 5.3 woke up with the a10 just as the coyote did. Not sure what gen motor or trans your experience lies. If you’re looking for speed, the 6.2 is your choice over the 5.3.

the 5.3 will pull about as much weight and is happy on 87 octane. A good value option

Sponsored

wessermgm

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum SCrew, Smoked Quartz, 701a, FX4
I had the 5.3L in my 2021 LT Trail Boss with the 10 speed. It is in every way inferior to the Coyote or the 3.5L Ecoboost. I drove that for 12 months and ditched it.

BTW: the above poster is right about the SLT trims. GMC trims are typically one trim level higher than the corresponding Chevy trim. The lowest Chevy trim (above W/T, which is mainly for fleet) is LS. GMC does not really have a comparable trim to LS (Ford would be XL, Ram would be Tradesman). GMC's lowest trim is SLE, which lines up to the Chevy LT (and is comparable to the Ford XLT or Ram Bighorn). GMC's mid trim is the SLT, which is the Chevy LTZ (comparable to the Ford Lariat trim, Ram Laramie trim). GMC then has Denali, which Chevy has a "kinda" equal trim with the High Country (Ford would probably be Platinum, Ram would be Limited).

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
Load a coyote with a 8,000 lb trailer. What rpm does it cruise at?

I bet the 5.3 is almost a 1,000 rpm lower.
I like the coyote and had one my mustang. I do. I spend a lot of time in my family’s f150 5.0 But the 5.3 off idle torque is decent and is rated to pull heavy loads while offering great v8 sound. Again it’s lower compression than the 6.2 and is happy as a clam on 87. the 6.2 option is there for a reason tho.

Last edited:

Service_Merchandise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150

I like the coyote and had one my mustang. I do. I spend a lot of time in my family’s f150 5.0 But the 5.3 off idle torque is decent and is rated to pull heavy loads while offering great v8 sound. Again it’s lower compression than the 6.2 and is happy as a clam on 87. the 6.2 option is there for a reason tho.
Just watched the GM 5.3 and Ford 5.0 tow trailers up the Ike Gauntlet on TFL trucks YouTube channel. The 5.0 was cruising at 60mph at 3500rpm. The 5.3 was cruising at 60mph at 4000rpm. Not only was the F150 cruising at a lower rpm but TFL struggled to get the Chevy to downshift. Per Motor Trend test numbers both averaged 15mpg. Of course the Ford 5.0 engine was faster than the Chevy 5.3 engine. I have yet to find anything the GM 5.3 is better at. 🤷‍♂️

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8

The 5.0 has 30 lb ft more torque at the same given RPM over the 5.3. The 5.3 does ~zero~ better than the 5.0. The 5.0 gets better MPG, has more low end torque, has more top end horsepower. The only thing the 5.3 does better is eat lifters and sit in the shop.
Sponsored