• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Rivian R1T Towing Range Information

OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Why should Americans compromise our lifestyle and be economically uncompetitive with those countries while they do nothing and continue to churn out horrible emissions while we sacrifice further and are already the cleanest industrialized nation on earth.
This isn't about compromising our lifestyle, it's about growing and embracing the lifestyle necessary to continue our way of life. Your lifestyle isn't the same as your relatives a century ago...

You think people have issues with masks now, wait until they become necessary so we can just breath normally outside? Maybe that's a stretch for the near future, but sitting back and doing nothing ensures we become last place on economical development.

By developing and growing we can supplement our current lifestyle with new forms of energy and renewables that will allow us to be at the front of innovation, success, (wealth) and health.

The ignorant countries will suffer the natural consequences of being ignorant towards these subjects. For example, China's air quality in some cities already has its citizens wearing maks to breath...talk about compromising a lifestyle!
Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I had the 36 gallon tank and max towing package. 24-25 mpg not towing 70-75mph. 11-13 mpg towing 9000 lb 5th wheel camper at 65mph. Even worst case I never got 5.5 mpg. Towing through the Texas hill country at 75 mph I got about 8.5 mpg.
I suspect the difference is that my boat is 13 feet tall and the places where I get that mileage are hilly (upstate NY). On the flats like I-95 through Florida I get 6.5 mpg at 75. I do have airbags and heavy duty truck tires, but still get about 22 mpg when empty and driving for efficiency.

Ford F-150 Lightning Rivian R1T Towing Range Information IMG_0188 4

Ford F-150 Lightning Rivian R1T Towing Range Information IMG_0183 2

OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I suspect the difference is that my boat is 13 feet tall and the places where I get that mileage are hilly (upstate NY). On the flats like I-95 through Florida I get 6.5 mpg at 75. I do have airbags and heavy duty truck tires, but still get about 22 mpg when empty and driving for efficiency.

IMG_0188 4.jpg

IMG_0183 2.jpg
Nice Boat!

Yeah, the air drag on the boat at higher speeds will definitely compromise range.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E 4x, 03 IS300, 06 Ridgeline
Texas has a .20 gas tax, look it up.
Context shows I wasn’t asking what the gas tax is but thanks for reinforcing my point.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Sorry, I should have said, Texas has a number of fuel taxes but I didn't mention that I drive an EV and currently only pay the taxes and other fees associated with electric consumption. Some states already clip EV owners for more than their fair share.

Dealer tried to sell me on an ecoboost but all the guys at work that had them claimed lower than expected mpg. I took the 5.0L and still like it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
I seldom tow either of my boats farther than 10 miles from the house, so towing range is of little concern for me. The farthest I could see taking one of them is 100 miles one way, at 3000# and not very tall I would expect the range to be ok. The bigger boat is a 24’ walk around at 6200# with a t top, so I went with the max tow on my Pro order.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
I had the 36 gallon tank and max towing package. 24-25 mpg not towing 70-75mph. 11-13 mpg towing 9000 lb 5th wheel camper at 65mph. Even worst case I never got 5.5 mpg. Towing through the Texas hill country at 75 mph I got about 8.5 mpg.
proof - last tow was a couple weeks ago down I-95 from Virginia to Florida doing 65 mph. Got 4.9 mph to 5.2 per tank. There is no 36 gallon tank in a PB, only 32. The pic below with our Tesla (my wife and I were driving together between our Virginia and Florida homes) was in Florence SC - the Tesla got WAY better range. Note dash pic showing 5.0 mpg and 153 miles driven on full tank was on arrival at gas station with ZERO remaining range - the next time I tried that I ran out of gas, first time in years.

Ford F-150 Lightning Rivian R1T Towing Range Information 5mpgf150

Ford F-150 Lightning Rivian R1T Towing Range Information f150 at scales

Ford F-150 Lightning Rivian R1T Towing Range Information F150 with Tesla

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
proof - last tow was a couple weeks ago down I-95 from Virginia to Florida doing 65 mph. Got 4.9 mph to 5.2 per tank. There is no 36 gallon tank in a PB, only 32. The pic below with our Tesla (my wife and I were driving together between our Virginia and Florida homes) was in Florence SC - the Tesla got WAY better range. Note dash pic showing 5.0 mpg and 153 miles driven on full tank was on arrival at gas station with ZERO remaining range - the next time I tried that I ran out of gas, first time in years.
nice setup. have you ever tried towing with your model x? curious if you've noticed 2/3 drop in range like the TFL crew discovered. Wondering if lightning will be 2/3 as well which means 100 miles between charges.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician

5mpgf150.jpg

f150 at scales.jpg

F150 with Tesla.jpg
It's hard to figure out why the Tesla got better range. It's not like you ruined the aerodynamics of it by putting a kayak on the top of it and then towed a load that a Super Duty should be used for.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
It's hard to figure out why the Tesla got better range. It's not like you ruined the aerodynamics of it by putting a kayak on the top of it and then towed a load that a Super Duty should be used for.
Fully acknowledged. But no choice due to HOA rules. I own a Super Duty but cannot bring it to Florida. The fact remains that the rig above meets Ford specs verified at the scales as seen in the picture, by 25 pounds). And it shows what happens when a vehicles is built to meet an efficiency spec when empty - especially a gasoline turbo - it falls off a cliff when used for its powers and full towing specifications - the PowerBoost is literally the LEAST efficient vehicle in Ford's entire lineup when used to its maximum specification. Yes, my Super Duty gets twice MPG doing the same job - but Ford says that the truck above is doing exactly what they say it should do. And doing so equals 5 MPG.

Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
nice setup. have you ever tried towing with your model x? curious if you've noticed 2/3 drop in range like the TFL crew discovered. Wondering if lightning will be 2/3 as well which means 100 miles between charges.
Yes, I tow with the MX all the time. I have a row of nine trailers at our farm. Just yesterday I pulled the dual jet ski trailer to the Boynton Beach boat ramp with the Tesla. That's about 4,000 pounds, and uses 650 wh/mi vs the normal 300 wh/mi in local running around here. The biggest load I've pulled behind the Tesla is an 18-ft enclosed box trailer with my '52 MG TD in it, probably about 4,500 pounds. That was a flat tow for about 100 miles each way, with a full charge (325 miles rated), I ended with 25 miles range, so close to TFL's experience. I am hoping to get 150 miles range towing the big boat with the Lightning. Probably too optimistic. Our annual cycle st five months in Boynton Beach on the ICW, a couple months in Virginia on the bay, a month at Lake George in upstate NY, and then back to Florida via VIrginia, so about 4,000 miles total towing the big rig above, but one trip of 1,500 miles - charging could be a b*tch. But driving the Powerboost with its ridiculous gasoline range is silly too. I love that truck, which has over 700-mile range in regular use (I get consistently over 23 mpg when empty and not towing despite E-rated truck tires), but the Tesla goes twice as far between fill ups.

fitek

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit 350EXT
Anyone know about backing an F150 up into salt water to launch a boat? The rims on my Transit extended are rusting after 1 year of boat launches, even though I rinse the whole underside pretty methodically every time. Not sure where the rear motor is on the F150L.

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Anyone know about backing an F150 up into salt water to launch a boat? The rims on my Transit extended are rusting after 1 year of boat launches, even though I rinse the whole underside pretty methodically every time. Not sure where the rear motor is on the F150L.
Don’t back your truck into the salt water? I stop when my tires touch water, so there is no risk of getting salt water on the frame or axle. Maybe you need to extend the tongue on your trailer? I methodically rinse my trailer on a freshwater lake ramp after each trip to salt water.

fitek

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit 350EXT
Don’t back your truck into the salt water? I stop when my tires touch water, so there is no risk of getting salt water on the frame or axle. Maybe you need to extend the tongue on your trailer? I methodically rinse my trailer on a freshwater lake ramp after each trip to salt water.
The ramp is just built that you pretty much have to and I don't have a freshwater lake nearby. I googled tongue extender and I'll look into that. The Transit is an extended length, almost 23 feet, and I'm at the max the driveway can take. The F150L is 3 feet shorter I think.

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The ramp is just built that you pretty much have to and I don't have a freshwater lake nearby. I googled tongue extender and I'll look into that. The Transit is an extended length, almost 23 feet, and I'm at the max the driveway can take. The F150L is 3 feet shorter I think.
My brother lives in Gig Harbor and has a trailerable 30’ aluminum pilothouse he tows with his F-250. The ramps I’ve seen in the area all seemed steep enough to keep the truck out of the water. He found a freshwater pond nearby, but it’s closed all winter.

There is a shallow angle ramp near me that I generally avoid for that reason. If I have to use it I found if I back until my tires touch the water it floats the transom and I can push up on the bow and get it launched. This is on my 19’ center console on a bunk trailer. If I had rollers it would slide right off. If on bunks you could also look into the slippery plastic pads for the front bunks to promote it to slide easier.
Sponsored