• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Rivian R1T Towing Range Information

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I think one of the biggest drawbacks to towing with an EV is the lack of pull through chargers.
At EVgo charging and a guy towing a trailer with a Audi eTron pulls up. He didn't unhitch, he pulled into the charger parallel to the curb using one of the end chargers. He took up a couple regular parking spots in addition to the EV one but not an issue. Most are setup so the two end chargers can be used.
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
The guy was able to pull into a surprising amount of chargers without unhitching. See his Instagram page.
Yea, I've been following that fella. Good stuff. But he still had to unhitch multiple times. The only reason he stayed hitched on occasion was because no one was around for his trailer to interfere with.

That doesn't change the fact that, from a practical standpoint, we are going to need pull through charging stations and we just don't have that yet. It's only going to be a big deal for people that tow a lot, which appears to be someone like Sundancer.

Like many other things with EVs, it's just one more thing that needs to happen. I have every bit of confidence it will happen at some point.

msitter

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger
Occupation
retired
I see no issues with electric vehicles and those who want or own them. Free country, your choice. Right now with a 2017 3.5 EB I can go 700 miles on a tank non towing and 350 towing. Fuel cost and availability no problem with no more than a 10 minute gas and potty break every tank. I will possibly consider an EV when I will not be inconvenienced one iota in the operation. That means same distance, same refill time and no strain on the electric grid to where my home is subjected to rolling blackouts like California and Texas and a lot of other places during the extremes of summer A/C loads. While I have no problems with EV ownership, I find it hard to swallow that I have to subsidize EV ownership with any government money in terms of tax credits, and no road tax for home recharging. After all, at the beginning of the ICE in the early 20th century, the government didn't build gas stations to promote them.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Currently I don't pay road tax. One bill was supposed to charge $200 per EV and it won't be true to use. The Prius people are paying maybe $50 a year so there ought to be some way to be fair. Weight and or miles or such.

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
I find it hard to swallow that I have to subsidize EV ownership with any government money in terms of tax credits, and no road tax for home recharging. After all, at the beginning of the ICE in the early 20th century, the government didn't build gas stations to promote them.
The fossil fuel industry currently enjoys custom-tailored tax benefits that allow them to write off virtually 100% of the cost of oil/gas exploration and extraction. These benefits have existed for decades and many people who drive EVs find it hard to swallow those subsidies.

msitter

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger
Occupation
retired
The fossil fuel industry currently enjoys custom-tailored tax benefits that allow them to write off virtually 100% of the cost of oil/gas exploration and extraction. These benefits have existed for decades and many people who drive EVs find it hard to swallow those subsidies.
They write off costs, which you mentioned, along with depreciation just like every other business is allowed to in America. Only the climate change exploiters claim the fossil fuels industry is the boogeyman getting the free ride. When China, India, Pakistan, and Russia catch up where the US is in clean air and water, I will then worry about our own emissions and not before.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I see no issues with electric vehicles and those who want or own them. Free country, your choice. Right now with a 2017 3.5 EB I can go 700 miles on a tank non towing and 350 towing. Fuel cost and availability no problem with no more than a 10 minute gas and potty break every tank. I will possibly consider an EV when I will not be inconvenienced one iota in the operation. That means same distance, same refill time and no strain on the electric grid to where my home is subjected to rolling blackouts like California and Texas and a lot of other places during the extremes of summer A/C loads. While I have no problems with EV ownership, I find it hard to swallow that I have to subsidize EV ownership with any government money in terms of tax credits, and no road tax for home recharging. After all, at the beginning of the ICE in the early 20th century, the government didn't build gas stations to promote them.
My 2021 PowerBoost can only go 150-160 miles between fill-ups towing my 9,500-pound boat/trailer (5.5 mpg at 65). I suspect that my Lightning will have about the same range, maybe slightly less.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E 4x, 03 IS300, 06 Ridgeline
Currently I don't pay road tax. One bill was supposed to charge $200 per EV and it won't be true to use. The Prius people are paying maybe $50 a year so there ought to be some way to be fair. Weight and or miles or such.
Texas doesn’t have state taxes on fuel? That’s the lost tax revenue states are usually after with the EV or PHEV surcharges.

msitter

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger
Occupation
retired
My 2021 PowerBoost can only go 150-160 miles between fill-ups towing my 9,500-pound boat/trailer (5.5 mpg at 65). I suspect that my Lightning will have about the same range, maybe slightly less.
I had the 36 gallon tank and max towing package. 24-25 mpg not towing 70-75mph. 11-13 mpg towing 9000 lb 5th wheel camper at 65mph. Even worst case I never got 5.5 mpg. Towing through the Texas hill country at 75 mph I got about 8.5 mpg.

Sponsored

msitter

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger
Occupation
retired
Texas doesn’t have state taxes on fuel? That’s the lost tax revenue states are usually after with the EV or PHEV surcharges.
Texas has a .20 gas tax, look it up.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Texas has a .20 gas tax, look it up.
All you have to do is look at the markings on the pump to see what the Texas gas tax is.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Only the climate change exploiters claim the fossil fuels industry is the boogeyman getting the free ride.
I'm not saying that the fossil fuel industry shouldn't get tax breaks. I'm saying that it's disingenuous to complain about tax breaks for EVs while oil-and-gas-specific tax subsidies exist.

They write off costs, which you mentioned, along with depreciation just like every other business is allowed to in America.
That's not entirely true. The fossil fuel industry has tax benefits that are unique to extraction--they can write off the entire cost of drilling and also write off the depreciation of the well as gas/oil is extracted.

Is GM allowed to write off 100% of the tangible and intangible costs of building a EV factory? Is Electrify America allowed to write off 100% of the tangible and intangible costs of building a charging station?

OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
When China, India, Pakistan, and Russia catch up where the US is in clean air and water, I will then worry about our own emissions and not before.
I'm sorry, but in my opinion, the argument of others are worse than us is not a winning strategy. It's the Ostrich plan, stick our heads in the ground and hope it goes away.

The American spirit is one of trying to lead by example, and be a world leader, not just trying to avoid being the worst or last.

This isn't a personal attack, just my opinion.

msitter

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger
Occupation
retired
I'm sorry, but in my opinion, the argument of others are worse than us is not a winning strategy. It's the Ostrich plan, stick our heads in the ground and hope it goes away.

The American spirit is one of trying to lead by example, and be a world leader, not just trying to avoid being the worst or last.

This isn't a personal attack, just my opinion.
That is not the issue, Why should Americans compromise our lifestyle and be economically uncompetitive with those countries while they do nothing and continue to churn out horrible emissions while we sacrifice further and are already the cleanest industrialized nation on earth. I am not good with higher prices on energy and other goods and playing into Chinas hands by being dependent on batteries only sourced from China or Chinese owned mines while being virtue signaled by some sandal wearing enviro twit.
Sponsored