PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Agree with everything except the "you can actually get one" Given that Ford just revealed that commercial reservations were not counted in their "almost 200k reserverations" number, they may not be making enough Gen 1 Lightnings to cover existing reservations. If you were starting today - you might have better luck getting a Rivian.
Rivian is at least two years out if ordered today. I'm #2 at Grieco in Delray Beach, expecting by June.
Advertisement

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
In my opinion, Rivian and the Lightning aren't going after the same market so I'm not sure it makes sense to keep comparing the two. Rivian has been very outspoken about being an adventure brand, likely targeting the younger crowd. Just look at where they're installing their chargers and how they showcase the vehicle in marketing materials and at events.

There's room for both, they'll be fine on their own. The Silverado will be the first actual competitor to the Lightning.
Rivian price point isn't there for young folks. Think Maverick, Jeep, Rav 4, other small SUVs & pickups. Rivian base price for lowest model is $68K.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Agreed. Also, Rivian has to make chargers accessible to everyone in order to get access to the new EV charger subsidies.

Not really. You’re definitely right about the Frunk but Rivian has stated that generator options are coming through a software update. The Rivian has a higher towing capacity than the Lightning. It also has a higher stated range. The R1T’s base model is EPA rated at 310miles. The longer range version is expected to have over 400 miles of range. Of course we don’t yet know what the Lightning‘s range will actually be, but Ford is stating 300+. I’m only going with that for now.

The real advantage for the Lightning is pricing (for Pro and XLT models) and usability as a truck. I like the R1T but that bed is laughably small. Ford really nailed it when it comes to the Frunk. Also, the F150 cab has a flat floor under the passenger seats, the Rivian does not. The Rivian’s big advantage is that gear tunnel. At first I thought of it as a gimmick, but the more I’ve looked at it, the more I realize how damn useful it is. The Rivian is a real off roader as well. I wouldn’t take a Lightning on many of the trails I frequent in Colorado. I’m sure Ford will release a more off road oriented variant at some point but for now Rivian owns that spot. The Rivian also has A LOT more HP, Torque, Air Suspension, retractable tonneau cover, better interior IMO, etc., etc.,..

I agree with you, but here we are. 😂
Why wouldn't you take a Lightning off road? Watch Sandy Munro's youtube evaluation of the undercarriage, IRS, and battery protection - he is blown away and said it is ready to rock crawl. The Rivian seems pretty fragile by comparison. Be careful with towing ratings - the Rivian claims 1k more towing BUT has way less payload (1,760 vs 2,000) so in reality the 10K-rated Lightning can tow more than the 11k-rated Rivian when you have luggage and passengers - tongue weight will be the limiting factor - no way you can hitch an 11k trailer with a, 1,100 lb tongue weight and carry much else in the truck - plus the midsize truck form factor (wheelbase, tires, etc) isn't right. The Rivian got leapfrogged by the Lightning IMHO - way outclassed at a ridiculously lower price point. The Rivian folks had to be nonplussed at the Lightning rollout presentation - especially when they saw what could have been given their relatively horrible frunk.

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
Rivian price point isn't there for young folks. Think Maverick, Jeep, Rav 4, other small SUVs & pickups. Rivian base price for lowest model is $68K.
The kind of people who would buy an adventure brand vehicle and can afford to actually take time off to go camping absolutely has that money.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 Screw 2.7l, 2019 Mustang GT350
Rivian is at least two years out if ordered today. I'm #2 at Grieco in Delray Beach, expecting by June.
Yes, but if you but in a reservation for a Lightning today, you are very likely more than 2 years out. I got my Lightning reservation in on June 3rd and if I ordered a Rivian today I am not sure which I would get first.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
Why wouldn't you take a Lightning off road? Watch Sandy Munro's youtube evaluation of the undercarriage, IRS, and battery protection - he is blown away and said it is ready to rock crawl. The Rivian seems pretty fragile by comparison. Be careful with towing ratings - the Rivian claims 1k more towing BUT has way less payload (1,760 vs 2,000) so in reality the 10K-rated Lightning can tow more than the 11k-rated Rivian when you have luggage and passengers - tongue weight will be the limiting factor - no way you can hitch an 11k trailer with a, 1,100 lb tongue weight and carry much else in the truck - plus the midsize truck form factor (wheelbase, tires, etc) isn't right. The Rivian got leapfrogged by the Lightning IMHO - way outclassed at a ridiculously lower price point. The Rivian folks had to be nonplussed at the Lightning rollout presentation - especially when they saw what could have been given their relatively horrible frunk.
On the off roading thing. It's kinda subjective with me since I live in Colorado and take some pretty rocky trails. I've taken my Raptor all over the place but the Lightning's ground clearance is only 8.9 inches. My Raptor had 13.1". The R1T has nearly 15" of ground clearance. Also, the R1T's four electric motors give it functionality similar to having front and rear locking diffs. Then there is the tank turn feature that is supposed to be coming with a software update.

You may have a point with towing though. I'd like to see TFL Truck due a tow test on the Ike Gauntlet.

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
Rivian is putting chargers in areas like parks and in the middle of nowhere to charge their "adventure" truck. Totally different market than the F150 I'd think.

Rivian website now shows the van and chargers for their planned rollout.

I asked Amazon if they could sell me one of their vans so i could turn it into an RV.

The beauty of F150 is the power out ability.
I heard the Amazon vans were supposed to have 150 mile range and early testing is around 70 miles. Lol

I am going to ask my friend that is following rivian closely if he has a source.

Edit- found the link

https://www.autonews.com/automakers...on-might-have-less-range-expected-report-says

Advertisement

Advertisement