Sponsored

Risk Management - Did you ever use your F150 Ford Extended warranty?

Did you ever actually use your Ford ESP plan? If so was it worth what you paid for it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PPK

First Name
PPK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 502A, 1947 CJ2A, WK2 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
I don't know why everyone is referencing the LED when the brochure I am looking at plainly states it at the top it is covered?

LED Assy in Electrical Ext Warr.jpeg
If you take a look at my warranty statement above ... the LED lighting was an option in the contract. I did not do the key replacement so on that selection you see delete checked... you are showing a brochure.. the contract is what matters...
Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
22 F150 Lariat owner here doing risk management assessment of should I buy the Premium ESP or not? 5K annual mileage driver here use it as grocery getter daily driver only I am retired now. $1210 for 8 yr 60K $0 ded seems pretty reasonable for an additional 5 yrs of factory like coverage but, what are the odds of getting to use it? Google is of no help here finding percentage of users actually using the warranty; so I am asking the owners to weigh in who drive and use our beloved F150's to answer up. If you have it did you ever use it? Or wish you had had bought it?
for us its very cheap insurance
last 4 fords had it.
i have led light coverage as well and key fob. led coverage's did change as well after the fact.
bought all of them with huge discounts. no brainer 1600 for 8 yrs 100k miles
plus enhanced rental and yes you get one under the 3/36 but it may take a bit . with the esp once it decided to keep your vehicle OUT comes a rental no questions so far

and for laughs when i bought my wifes 2012 edge in early 2018 i got a great price for 3/36 esp everything plan. my dealer met the price i was quoted from out discount partners here. when it ran out i re upped to another 3/36 which brings us to just over 100k miles and 11 years and it was less than 1200.
we had both front struts repaced under esp, the dash head unit sync thing and the rear camera all for 100. dollars vice 3500

Last edited:

psambrose

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 2018 Mustang GT 2017 Lincoln MKZ
I don't know why everyone is referencing the LED when the brochure I am looking at plainly states it at the top it is covered?

LED Assy in Electrical Ext Warr.jpeg
Notice how it is in BOLD, and it is followed by "**"? That means you better read the fine print carefully. And in the case of LED Lighting, it means you need to elect the optional coverage and pay the additional premium for the optional coverage.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
If you take a look at my warranty statement above ... the LED lighting was an option in the contract. I did not do the key replacement so on that selection you see delete checked... you are showing a brochure.. the contract is what matters...
You're correct in that reading the contract carefully is what matters.

On my ESP Contract issued 06/08/2022 and on yours pictured in this post, the option is "interior/exterior lighting delete " (emphasis added). The default PremiumCare coverage includes all (including LED) lights / lamps in the coverage exactly as stated in the brochure posted above.

This specific option to delete interior / exterior lighting coverage is addressed in ESP Contract clause 6C.

The option to delete this coverage is presumably in return for a contract cost reduction for those who wish to take that reduced coverage / increased personal risk assumption.

Key Services coverage is similarly presented - that coverage is included by default in the PremiumCare ESP, the option is to reduce the default coverage by deleting that item.

Yes indeed, careful reading of the Contract is appropriate. Note that the Contract provides for full refund if canceled within 30 days (that's longer in a few states by statute) with no claims; that's your time-window to carefully read your specific contract and opt-out if you find any detail of the terms unacceptable.

Last edited:

Bandit Heeler

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX 4x4 2.7
The transmission on my wife’s 2018 Expedition went out at 62,500 miles. The service tech said that they have had issues with 10 speed/3.5L combo. Luckily I purchased the basecare ESP and it covered the $4,000 repair. $100 deductible is all that I paid.

Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
my 21, 2016 and 2013 were pretty much not ever in shop for repairs that would be not covered by the base warranty.
HOWEVER ,,,,,,, 2013 sunroof entire unit failed horribly under base coverage iirc around 20k miles.
2006 had new turbo, and high pressure oil pump under the 3/36

its a crap shoot.
but the edge would have costs us much buckaroos. and the 22 150 omg if those pricey parts take a crap, i want to be covered and made whole with little out of pocket. the price you can get the esp for makes its a real easy decision..unless your in a state that wont let you buy discounted plans

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I don't understand those who waste money on $0 deductibles myself. If something fails and it's less than $100 or even $200, I'll order it and swap it myself regardless. I don't want stealerships touching my vehicle unless it's needed. On top of that you've got the time involved in dealing with them over nonsense issues. Some folks have the ability to waste 3 hours over $50 and don't mind someone else's greasy paws on their vehicle.

ESPs should be looked at for major components like engine, transmission, and expensive electronic components, or significant labor requirements.

Personally I really want to keep the 22 PB I've got, but it's not really the right fit for most of us. I really want to see a 20kWh usable battery in the form of a PHEV. When that shows up in 2 or 3 years, It's a no-brainer swap for me. Ford already has a version of this that'd be acceptable in the aviator, so I really expect to see the PB to be replaced by such a vehicle sooner rather than later. /tangent

Also, keep in mind, your deductible is per visit, meaning that you can wait until a few issues stack up and make a single visit and you're subject to the deductible once.

Last edited:

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
22 F150 Lariat owner here doing risk management assessment of should I buy the Premium ESP or not? 5K annual mileage driver here use it as grocery getter daily driver only I am retired now. $1210 for 8 yr 60K $0 ded seems pretty reasonable for an additional 5 yrs of factory like coverage but, what are the odds of getting to use it? Google is of no help here finding percentage of users actually using the warranty; so I am asking the owners to weigh in who drive and use our beloved F150's to answer up. If you have it did you ever use it? Or wish you had had bought it?
IMHO here is the way you should look at it.

If you spend the money for the ESP and have problems with the truck down the road, you will be glad for the day you bought it.

If you spend the money for the ESP and never use it over the next 8 years, you will be glad that you were the owner of a problem free truck for all those years.

Look at it as a win/win and you will live a happy life. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
SemperVee

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat V8
Occupation
Happily Retired - USMÇ
Thanks for all the input. I now have the Premium ESP in place for 7 years x 48K and $0 deductible including the led lighting add for $15 coverage on my 22 lariat for a GT of $910. I can sleep better with peace of mind for this rolling collection of sensors and computers. It's not mileage that matters as much to me but "YEARS" since I don't drive (Retired) that much and have a MC at my disposal adding another 4 years of Premium (factory-ish) coverage is worth it to me as I keep my vehicles long term. I've already had the wiper motor go out on me with very few miles on it. I had my 05 Chevy for 15 years and barely put 98K miles on it. By the time this warranty is up in 2029 I hope I am still around and still driving! Love my 5.0!!

MrT

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB 502A
Occupation
Retired
Granger Ford ESP $50 over dealer cost. No brainer, end of discussion.

Sponsored

JWmson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB Lariat Screw FX4
Occupation
Truck Driver
I suggest that the risk-management evaluation you seek has already been done by Ford and the result is 'public'.

Ford's actuaries have done that and you can be assured that the statistics show over the total population of ESP buyers they do not recover their costs. That fact is what allows Ford to be in the ESP business.

You can 'poll' actual forum owner experience but it won't change that fact at all, it'll just give you examples of folks who are part of the population that do or do not recover their ESP purchase cost.

Those 'poll anecdotes' will tell you nothing and give you no basis for estimating the chance that you will fall into any part of the ESP-buying population. It's akin to the well-proven coin-toss statistics .... whether you toss once or a million times, the odds are 50-50; there's absolutely no way to predict any 'better' for any individual toss. There is absolutely no way for you to predict if you will fall in the 'winning heads' or 'losing tails' part of the ESP-buying population.

I suggest that since the statistical likelihood of payback is known (it is not in your favor), your own buying decision should be based on evaluation of other 'personal value' factors, e.g.
  • Would purchase of an ESP adversely affect / burden your current financial situation?
  • Would a future significant unexpected vehicle repair (of the sort covered by an ESP) hurt you more than the up-front purchase of an ESP?
  • Do you enjoy day-to-day life more (are you more relaxed and happier) when you know that you've reduced the risk of unexpected large expenditures, even when you paid for that priviledge?
  • Does the 'general peace of mind' offered by an ESP hold 'value' for you? That's not a financial value calculation but a personal / psychological value determination which is perfectly real and legitimate for you and varies person-to-person (AKA 'personal risk tolerance').
I suggest that 'polling' others will not tell you anything about your own 'valuation' of an ESP, unless you find comfort ('value') in being a follower of forum-poll trends (and IMO that'd be a sad place to be).
Very well said.

JerryLZ

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 502A PB
What are the specifics of the LED lighting coverage? The DRLs alone I know would fall into that since you can’t just replace a bulb but I’m assuming the spotlights on the mirrors aren’t a user replaceable bulb either? Headlights a swap able bulb or is it a sealed unit (502a)? For $70 I was adding it anyway I'm just curious what the intended uses fall under.

And the rental add on. If it’s a warranty repair aren’t you supposed to get a loaner anyway? Never had one so I don’t know really.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
What are the specifics of the LED lighting coverage? The DRLs alone I know would fall into that since you can’t just replace a bulb but I’m assuming the spotlights on the mirrors aren’t a user replaceable bulb either? Headlights a swap able bulb or is it a sealed unit (502a)? For $70 I was adding it anyway I'm just curious what the intended uses fall under.
In the PremiumCare contract it is not "LED lighting" coverage; it is "Interior/Exterior Lighting " coverage, including explicitly "... electrical failures on incandescent bulbs, halogen bulbs, High Intensity Discharge (HID) and LED lamp assemblies. "

Note that the PremiumCare contract covers everything that is not specifically excluded in the contract (there is no listing of what "IS Covered", there is a finite listing of "What is NOT covered" under PremiumCare). There's no reference in the PremiumCare contract to exclusion of any bulb or LED that might be 'user-replaceable' or otherwise (unless you select the "Interior/Exterior Lighting Delete" option in which case none of the above are covered, which is where that list is found).

Note that "fogging/moisture of lamp assemblies" is specifically excluded from PremiumCare coverage, distinct from "electrical failure".

Remember, when you get your contract you have 30 days to read it in its entirety, and if you don't like any of the terms you can return it for a full refund.

If it’s a warranty repair aren’t you supposed to get a loaner anyway?
If you read your Ford Warranty Guide booklet you will find no reference to any obligation on Ford's part to provide a 'loaner' vehicle; you will find explicit reference to the OE warranty NOT covering ".... any inconvenience you might be caused, the loss of your transportation or use of your vehicle, the cost of rental vehicles ....."

IF Ford or a dealer provides a 'loaner' that's a matter of customer courtesy / good-will or a provision of a specific program separate from the OE warranty.

You can download that #### Model Year Ford Warranty Guide from the Ford Owners website before you purchase a vehicle.

Last edited:

Demps

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
Have never had a need for an extended warranty because traded my vehicles before the end of 3 ur/36,000 mile warranty.

Times have changed. Have 23,000 miles in 16 months on my 2021 Limited. Can’t find an acceptable replacement and don’t expect to find one any time soon. Won’t be long before I’m at 36,000 miles.

The stakes/risks are too high to gamble won’t have a really expensive claim. Just like having health insurance.
Got the 8yr/100,000 mi warranty.

Just read about more features being deleted from truck orders.

My 2021 F150 Limited Powerboost may be worth a lot more if, or when, I can trade it in for a comparable truck.

Hopefully the trade-in $ increase covers the cost of the warranty. This is in addition to the peace of mind that repairs are covered for the foreseeable future.

Win Win

OP
OP
SemperVee

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat V8
Occupation
Happily Retired - USMÇ
Thats what I figured so i got the 7 year 48K $0 ded + LED light coverage for $910... I will probably never get to 48K at 5 K driving a year being retired.
Sponsored