Rhythmic clunking when moving forwards

TBondu

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost XLT
Just got back from a weekend camping trip. Everything went great (truck pulled three camper very nicely, the onboard power was a lifesaver when temps were near 100 to run the camper AC). However, when leaving the campground I noticed a new drivetrain noise. There's a rhythmic clunking (imagine something on the driveshaft that continually hits the underside of the truck as it rotates). Only does it in drive and will do it in all electric mode as well as hybrid. My hunch is it's something with the electric motor but thought I'd check here to see if anyone else has had the issue. I made it the 160 miles home just fine. No vibrations or warnings going 65 on the highway.
Sponsored

OP
OP

TBondu

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost XLT
Welp, I think I found the issue. This heat shield (circled in red) has come unstuck from the body and was rubbing on the driveshaft. Any recommendations for an adhesive tape to apply until I can get it back to the dealer?
Ford F-150 Rhythmic clunking when moving forwards 20210613_123747

ryanryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
I just had the noise problem but mostly when driving in reverse. The dealer fixed it today.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Welp, I think I found the issue. This heat shield (circled in red) has come unstuck from the body and was rubbing on the driveshaft. Any recommendations for an adhesive tape to apply until I can get it back to the dealer?
I would try some of the silver thin metal tape they use for house duct work. 3m double sided automotive tape should work very well also.

Sponsored

Stang66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I had the extract same thing happen this week. Came off right above the drive shaft, by the U joint.

Buckfifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 PB, 12 Impreza, E46 M3
7 hr job at the dealership to remove the shaft and epoxy it, which wasn't done at the factory like it was supposed to have been.

steve s

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat - power boost hybird
Same issue - picked up my power boost yesterday and a heat shield is not properly attached so that it rubs against the universal joint of the drive shaft.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Power to the forum!
This is the kind of thing that makes modern vehicle ownership so different than when I was a young fella.

BlackCloud

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost
Occupation
Retired
Dealer told me they could order replacement panels, but the glue line on the edges would be just as narrow, and probably not hold any better than the factory installation. So they used some kind of epoxy to glue them back in place. (Mine were not damaged, just loose.)
Sponsored