First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
https://www.cars.com/articles/with-7000-miles-on-our-2021-ford-f-150-hybrid-what-do-we-think-437318/

With 7,000 Miles on Our 2021 Ford F-150 Hybrid, What Do We Think?
Ford F-150 Review: With 7,000 Miles on Our 2021 Ford F-150 Hybrid, What Do We Think? rew-limited-2021--01-angle--black--exterior--front
2021 Ford F-150 | Cars.com photo by Mike Hanley

By Brian Normile

June 22, 2021

Living with a car lets you learn all sorts of things about it. It’s why we buy our Best Of-winning vehicle every year. Not only does it give us more time to evaluate its pros and cons in exquisite detail, but sometimes there are issues and things break, giving us a chance to better live out a true ownership experience. Such is the case with our long-term 2021 Ford F-150, which has been in our hands for approximately seven months and driven over 7,000 miles.

Related: Owning the 2021 Ford F-150

Remaining Issues?
Well, it’s still kinda rusty. No one — neither Ford nor independent mechanics we checked with — thought the rust will have any long-term impact on reliability or durability, which is nice. We’ll be keeping an eye on that just in case. Our Android Auto connection issues also seem to have been fixed by an update on Android’s end, not Ford’s, so, again: Nice.

Other Complaints?
No one seems to enjoy the ride quality when unladen, even with allowances for our F-150 being a pickup truck. The ride even turned one of Managing Editor Joe Bruzek’s family road trips into a bit of a nightmare as the F-150 Limited — with 22-inch wheels — dashed any hopes of kiddo car naps with huge jolts over bumps. Pouring salt on the wound was Ford’s announcement of a midyear update to the F-150 that included adding an adaptive suspension that could improve its ride quality. The new hardware also brought promising towing and trailering goodies.

We’re also monitoring potential transmission hiccups — specifically, shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear and idling roughness. The power-folding shifter is starting to feel a bit rickety, too. A dealership diagnosis gave the car a clean bill of health despite our observation of the change in drivability, so, again, we’ll continue monitoring. The hands-on lane-centering steering also seems to be having difficulties recognizing when our hands are actually on the wheel, warning us to keep our hands on the wheel when they already are, which can be aggravating on long trips.

Not All Bad News
Despite the complaints and issues, the F-150 remains in demand amongst our staff members, even those who don’t live in Chicago. Detroit Bureau Chief Aaron Bragman just completed a lengthy trip in the F-150 — be on the lookout for his story soon — and was full of praise for it.

“The F-150 tows a 25-foot Airstream and three people like a champ,” according to Bragman. “It never lacks for power, never feels unsteady, and all of its electronics aid in making towing just that much easier.”

Bruzek, who objected to the F-150’s ride quality when empty, had more praise when the truck was doing work.

“Like most trucks, the F-150 hybrid’s ride quality became quite livable, and comfortable, once I added 650 pounds of tongue weight while towing my 1998 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am back and forth to the drag strip.”

I would also like to personally thank Ford for updating its massaging seat settings so that it no longer turns off every 20 or 30 minutes. Thank you, Ford.

MPG and Costs
As of this writing, we’ve filled up the F-150 17 times over its 7,614.6 miles at a total cost of $1,609, averaging $94.66 per fill-up. So far, we’ve used a total of 420.332 gallons of premium gas to fill up our F-150’s 30.6-gallon tank, giving us a calculated average fuel economy of 18.12 mpg. That’s well below the EPA’s 24 mpg combined rating for the four-wheel-drive hybrid F-150, but our time with the truck includes a freezing February, multiple towing trips and 13 hours of idle time, all of which will reduce fuel economy. So far, the best we’ve managed on any individual fill-up is a calculated 22.93 mpg on a tank driving 533.6 miles; that’s closer, but still under 24.

More to Come
Stay tuned for more updates as we continue to put our F-150 to work. We’re especially looking forward to when Ford makes its BlueCruise hands-free self-driving feature available. Our F-150 has the necessary equipment to use BlueCruise and we’re eager to see how it stacks up to GM’s Super Cruise or Tesla’s Autopilot.
Sponsored

150ish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Inspector Gadget
I'm averaging just over 23 mpg on 87 octane with 295/70R18 tires. You must be driving it like you stole it. And yes, I factored in the tire size difference for my "uncalibrated" speed/odometer.
It's nice to know I'm not the only one with the 2nd to 3rd gear issue. My Apple CarPlay still manages to turn the radio off every time I go through certain areas of my daily commute. My biggest issue is getting my truck in to get the recalls and warranty issues fixed. It seems the dealerships around me have all sold their loaner cars. It's going on 1.5 months of waiting now...…...
Edit: I'm at 12,711 miles.

JDMan

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have no feels for the person who wrote that article. They bought an F-150 as a family daily driver and said 'Ohh noes, it's too bumpy! My kids can't sleep!' It's a truck dude. If you wanted a Tesla or Range Rover, buy a Tesla or a Range Rover.. sheesh.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
I have no feels for the person who wrote that article. They bought an F-150 as a family daily driver and said 'Ohh noes, it's too bumpy! My kids can't sleep!' It's a truck dude. If you wanted a Tesla or Range Rover, buy a Tesla or a Range Rover.. sheesh.
I agree, and with the 22” wheels you get the worst of it due to almost no sidewall on the tires. I’ll say my ‘21 is light years smoother and quieter riding that my ‘15. Still a truck like you said, it’s not going to ride like a Bentley…

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
1. I have no issues with ride - it's a damn truck and the ride is way better that I had before. I do on occasions get some delay/hesitation when trans goes from 2nd to 3rd.
2. MPG is averaging around 19 (city). Highway @ 70 MPH - getting 21.
3. I cleaned up all of my rust - despite Ford's line of bullshit. Ford's name since 2021 is now associated as off the production line rust bucket. Funny that I had zero on my Dearborn 2016 Platium.
4. But overall enjoying the truck.
5. I do get a big laugh when I look at the foreign Kimchee cars & SUVs underboby & see zero rust.

Sponsored

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
I agree - my FX4 Lariat is - lively - when unloaded. Still, it's the most comfortable 1/2 ton truck I've ever driven. Ever - & I've been driving legally for 50 years.

800 miles in, and my average is 22MPG. No towing yet, just a bit of hooning around in Sport mode. On one 18 mile trip I recorded 32. Using 91 octane minimum, higher if I can find it. Octane Matters!

Trans is shifting better now. I went through the same thing with my 2007 Grand Cherokee ("training" the trans).

Powerboost - hell, yeah! POWER then BOOST then BRAKES because it literally jumps when you hit the gas. 3.73 diff + 570 ft/lbs = change your pants, bro!

I do have one minor issue - it's damn tall, and I didn't get running boards. I have to get really close to the curb for my passengers to enter or exit the cab easily. Mo Money, Mo Money...

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bullitt, 2020 F-150
Occupation
Babylon 5 security
I still wonder if the price difference over the 2.7 is worth it, MPG-wise?

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
I still wonder if the price difference over the 2.7 is worth it, MPG-wise?
it would be extremely tough to justify it for jut fuel savings. If you factor in the extra power and the ProPower capabilities you can easily justify the purchase, but for fuel savings alone, especially over the 2.7, I don't think so.

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bullitt, 2020 F-150
Occupation
Babylon 5 security
it would be extremely tough to justify it for jut fuel savings. If you factor in the extra power and the ProPower capabilities you can easily justify the purchase, but for fuel savings alone, especially over the 2.7, I don't think so.
I still have 2 years left on my 2020 XLT 5.0 s-crew FX4 lease; I’m eager to see how the PowerBoost does on Fuelly.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
We just completed a 16 day 4300+ mile trip pulling our 30’ travel trailer for 3200 miles of that. The trip put us over 10,000 miles total.

We could not be more pleased! The ride was great, I felt confident behind the wheel, and we arrived at our destination after 3 travel days fresh and ready for adventure. We were not tired / sore / fatigued. After the 3 days back to home, we felt like we could have continued if we had wanted to.

This was the inaugural trip with our ‘20 travel trailer and ‘21 Platinum as tow vehicle. This set up is a big part of our retirement life plan - we are looking forward to many years of building memories!

Sponsored

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
We just completed a 16 day 4300+ mile trip pulling our 30’ travel trailer for 3200 miles of that. The trip put us over 10,000 miles total.

We could not be more pleased! The ride was great, I felt confident behind the wheel, and we arrived at our destination after 3 travel days fresh and ready for adventure. We were not tired / sore / fatigued. After the 3 days back to home, we felt like we could have continued if we had wanted to.

This was the inaugural trip with our ‘20 travel trailer and ‘21 Platinum as tow vehicle. This set up is a big part of our retirement life plan - we are looking forward to many years of building memories!
Which tires are you running for towing ? Any feedback on them ?

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-150 Platinum , 22 Edge, 23 Explorer ST
Occupation
Retired
Review sounds a lil ridiculous. I average about 23.8 mpg in Normal mode rural/city/highway. Sometimes even a bit more. If I jump on it, lil less. Ride is great compared to my 2016 F150 Sport or my 2019 Ranger Lariat. I have no complaints other than hating that back up beeper which will soon have the crap choked out of it if I can reach it. Every review is different. Some are pickier as hell, others go even easier. My take is, I tell people if you miss your Caddy luxury ride but still want a pickup, go with this one. I cannot find an in between for comfort in a full size pickup nor the abilities this puppy has. It's not a lux truck like the expensive suvs, but again, those people are afraid to drive without it, let alone get it dirty off road. :)

KiloWhiskey

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 PB XLT(Ordered 1/21/2021[still waiting])
Occupation
Military (Ret)
Well said. I feel like people are way too demanding and entitled when it comes to a truck. It’s a truck. It’s not supposed to ride like a Buick. It rides like a truck. Also, if you want good mpg, buy a car.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
Which tires are you running for towing ? Any feedback on them ?
I am still on the stock Hankooks that come on an FX4 Platinum. They did OK. I don’t care for them, but I will wait until replacement time to upgrade. I would like a bit more aggressive tread, but plan on leaving the truck stock.

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Hybrid 3.5L V6 twin-turbocharged Ecoboost
Nothing about the brakes?? I always feel like i gotta slam on mine to stop
Sponsored