Sponsored

Sparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
By my calculations, the weight difference would be 570lbs, so your right on the money. As more and more folks post door stickers, I think we could narrow that number down. Ford should be close to releasing the update/full config tool soon. If they have been producing trucks at the Michigan plant, they are close to being ready for Job 1 and retail sales deliveries.
Depending on the configuration, I believe the the diff is closer to 345lbs. From the official Ford specs for a 157.2 wheel base 4x4 the gvwr is 7150 for a EB and 7350 for a PB. In all cases comparing apples to apples the PB has a little higher gvwr than the EB. The payload diff for the example above is 2155 for the EB and 1810 for the Pb. (Diff of 345). Again it appears the PB has a little higher gvwr than the EB similar truck.
Sponsored

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Depending on the configuration, I believe the the diff is closer to 345lbs. From the official Ford specs for a 157.2 wheel base 4x4 the gvwr is 7150 for a EB and 7350 for a PB. In all cases comparing apples to apples the PB has a little higher gvwr than the EB. The payload diff for the example above is 2155 for the EB and 1810 for the Pb. (Diff of 345). Again it appears the PB has a little higher gvwr than the EB similar truck.
The GVWR is the maximum amount of weight the truck is rated for. That includes the weight of the truck + passengers + cargo. To get to the the GW of the truck itself, you would have to back off the payload figures provided by Ford.

For a Supercrew - 4x4 - 145.4"
3.5L: 7,050 (GVWR) - 2,100 (Payload) = 4,950 (estimated weight of truck)
PB: 7,350 (GVWR) - 1,830 (Payload) = 5,520 (estimated weight of truck)

Theoretically, if you were going camping in your PB with 3 of your buddies (4 adults total) and the total weight of all passengers was 800lbs, you could only put 1,030lb of weight in the bed before you exceeded the GVWR.

Last edited:

Sparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
The GVWR is the maximum amount of weight the truck is rated for. That includes the weight of the truck + passengers + cargo. To get to the the GW of the truck itself, you would have to back off the payload figures provided by Ford.

For a Supercrew - 4x4 - 145.4"
3.5L: 7,050 (GVWR) - 2,100 (Payload) = 4,950 (estimated weight of truck)
PB: 7,350 (GVWR) - 1,830 (Payload) = 5,520 (estimated weight of truck)

Theoretically, if you were going camping in your PB with 3 of your buddies (4 adults total) and the total weight of all passengers was 800lbs, you could only put 1,030lb of weight in the bed before you exceeded the GVWR.
I agree the PB truck weighs over 500lbs more than a similar EB but with the increased gvwr for the PB the actual payload difference is about 270 in your example. Depending on how you use the truck and needs, I don’t think it’s too bad if you want the PB. Wish it was more but I’m glad Ford increased the gvwr on the PB.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I agree the PB truck weighs over 500lbs more than a similar EB but with the increased gvwr for the PB the actual payload difference is about 270 in your example. Depending on how you use the truck and needs, I don’t think it’s too bad if you want the PB. Wish it was more but I’m glad Ford increased the gvwr on the PB.
I'm buying a PB. The difference GW and GVWR between the PB and the EB don't impact my decision. The truck will do what I need it to do and more. But, for @MileHiGuy, the higher gross weight of the PB truck could mean a lot when pulling it down the highway behind his RV.

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB
Does anyone have a rough idea of how much weight retractable tonneau would add? With only 1,830 (Payload) with PB - which might get further reduced by other options - I want to be careful...

Also, to show my ignorance - the camping trailer I am expecting to pull has tongue weight around 750# (I have seen numbers between 690 and 750#) and my wife and I weigh around 270# (in total :)). With hitch, some camping supplies - we could be adding somewhere around 200# to the bed.

So, how much margin do we have on the payload? How nervous should we be about the 1830# number? Particularly, how might some of the options we are interested in - Max Trailer Tow, work surface, reclining seats, 7.5kW Power, retractable tonneau (considering loading ramp, not sure) reduce the 1830# number further.

Also, if the rated payload is, for example, 1500# and we are putting 1450# in load inclusive of gear and passengers, is that OK? Or, is there a minimum clearance required/desirable?

Sponsored

jamesraywall

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch - Powerboost with 7.2 KWH
Occupation
Retired
Am I the only one put off by the actual shape of the max recline seats? How the shoulder part flares out and all? Looks like someone just glued a T shaped pillow on top of a regular seat.
I agree.

91heelncville

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
Thanks for posting all the pix from Atlanta! Can you tell me if this is the sticker from the Limited or the Platinum? I'm aiming for the Limited as a tow vehicle but that Cargo capacity is well below the 1810 Max listed in the Ford specs document.
Ford F-150 Review & answers from test drive event for 2021 F-150 1602784478961

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
@08RuviconLJ
Thanks for the reply. Pretty significant weight adder. I want the truck to be tow able behind the RV and maybe this option does not make the most sense.

I am assuming the only charging of the battery if from regenerative breaking so optimizing the battery potential from the daily commute could be hit or miss verses plugging it in each night and utilizing as much as you can daily.
If it's like all other hybrids, the battery charges during regenerative braking as well as when the gasoline engine is running making the electric motor operate as a generator. I don't think the battery is large enough at 1.5 KWH to make it worth while as a plug-in hybrid, hence there is no plug-in option.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for posting all the pix from Atlanta! Can you tell me if this is the sticker from the Limited or the Platinum? I'm aiming for the Limited as a tow vehicle but that Cargo capacity is well below the 1810 Max listed in the Ford specs document.
1602784478961.png
That one was the Platinum. The Limited PB was 1371. Can't remember what options brought the Plat down off top of my head.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Does anyone have a rough idea of how much weight retractable tonneau would add? With only 1,830 (Payload) with PB - which might get further reduced by other options - I want to be careful...

Also, to show my ignorance - the camping trailer I am expecting to pull has tongue weight around 750# (I have seen numbers between 690 and 750#) and my wife and I weigh around 270# (in total :)). With hitch, some camping supplies - we could be adding somewhere around 200# to the bed.

So, how much margin do we have on the payload? How nervous should we be about the 1830# number? Particularly, how might some of the options we are interested in - Max Trailer Tow, work surface, reclining seats, 7.5kW Power, retractable tonneau (considering loading ramp, not sure) reduce the 1830# number further.

Also, if the rated payload is, for example, 1500# and we are putting 1450# in load inclusive of gear and passengers, is that OK? Or, is there a minimum clearance required/desirable?

The one on my Tacoma is fiberglass and weighs in at 71 pounds (based on the door sticker telling me the payload has been reduced by that amount). I think a Bakflip comes in at about the same number. It's bigger (obviously) than my Tacoma tonneau, but is made of lighter materials. I have seen other manuf. quote at low at 60lbs and as high as 95lbs.

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer

kavm, I made a post in the other forum about this after weighing my trailer hitch weight last Friday. I apparently have been towing my travel trailer for 1.5 years and exceeding the payload by about 200lbs or more, because I undercounted the true hitch weight (was using 604# rather than the true loaded weight of 1000#). So I thought this whole time its been such a pleasure and smooth towing with such a beast of a truck because I had margin. But NOPE! I have about 3.5k towing miles out of 54k total miles on the 2017 XLT. I have done the regular ford maintenance and have not paid a dime extra (prepaid maintenance plan), except for replacing 2 tires recently because one had an unpatchable area nail. Zero problems with the truck (though this is anecdotal and not proof that ford specs have margin).

New truck will be 300lbs less capable, but I am shedding 400lbs (shell + dogs) and will still be over the spec. But also gaining 500lbs of truck to help be more stable and in control of the trailer if I ever do get in a situation. Now I will be hyperaware of putting anything extra in the truck or in front of the axles in the trailer. It sure was fun being blissfully ignorant before though, I gotta admit...

91heelncville

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek

Hey Kavm - I'm in the middle of this exact same decision. Retractable Tonneau weighs 90 pounds.
Also - where did you get the 1830 number? From a door sticker, or from the spec sheet from Ford?

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
kavm, I made a post in the other forum about this after weighing my trailer hitch weight last Friday. I apparently have been towing my travel trailer for 1.5 years and exceeding the payload by about 200lbs or more, because I undercounted the true hitch weight (was using 604# rather than the true loaded weight of 1000#). So I thought this whole time its been such a pleasure and smooth towing with such a beast of a truck because I had margin. But NOPE! I have about 3.5k towing miles out of 54k total miles on the 2017 XLT. I have done the regular ford maintenance and have not paid a dime extra (prepaid maintenance plan), except for replacing 2 tires recently because one had an unpatchable area nail. Zero problems with the truck (though this is anecdotal and not proof that ford specs have margin).

New truck will be 300lbs less capable, but I am shedding 400lbs (shell + dogs) and will still be over the spec. But also gaining 500lbs of truck to help be more stable and in control of the trailer if I ever do get in a situation. Now I will be hyperaware of putting anything extra in the truck or in front of the axles in the trailer. It sure was fun being blissfully ignorant before though, I gotta admit...
Hi daemonic3!

Thank you for this! May be they are too conservative in the posted rating. But, I would worry about what happens if one is inspected at a weigh station...

OP
OP
currybob

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
That one was the Platinum. The Limited PB was 1371. Can't remember what options brought the Plat down off top of my head.
Yep, I believe it was the Platinum was VIN ending in 105. It was not a powerboost but had the generator because the inverter was under the back seat which keeps it from have the lockable under seat storage.

Ford F-150 Review & answers from test drive event for 2021 F-150 20201009_112336
Sponsored