daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Does anyone have a rough idea of how much weight retractable tonneau would add? With only 1,830 (Payload) with PB - which might get further reduced by other options - I want to be careful...

Also, to show my ignorance - the camping trailer I am expecting to pull has tongue weight around 750# (I have seen numbers between 690 and 750#) and my wife and I weigh around 270# (in total :)). With hitch, some camping supplies - we could be adding somewhere around 200# to the bed.

So, how much margin do we have on the payload? How nervous should we be about the 1830# number? Particularly, how might some of the options we are interested in - Max Trailer Tow, work surface, reclining seats, 7.5kW Power, retractable tonneau (considering loading ramp, not sure) reduce the 1830# number further.

Also, if the rated payload is, for example, 1500# and we are putting 1450# in load inclusive of gear and passengers, is that OK? Or, is there a minimum clearance required/desirable?
kavm, I made a post in the other forum about this after weighing my trailer hitch weight last Friday. I apparently have been towing my travel trailer for 1.5 years and exceeding the payload by about 200lbs or more, because I undercounted the true hitch weight (was using 604# rather than the true loaded weight of 1000#). So I thought this whole time its been such a pleasure and smooth towing with such a beast of a truck because I had margin. But NOPE! I have about 3.5k towing miles out of 54k total miles on the 2017 XLT. I have done the regular ford maintenance and have not paid a dime extra (prepaid maintenance plan), except for replacing 2 tires recently because one had an unpatchable area nail. Zero problems with the truck (though this is anecdotal and not proof that ford specs have margin).

New truck will be 300lbs less capable, but I am shedding 400lbs (shell + dogs) and will still be over the spec. But also gaining 500lbs of truck to help be more stable and in control of the trailer if I ever do get in a situation. Now I will be hyperaware of putting anything extra in the truck or in front of the axles in the trailer. It sure was fun being blissfully ignorant before though, I gotta admit...

91heelncville

First Name
Derek
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
Does anyone have a rough idea of how much weight retractable tonneau would add? With only 1,830 (Payload) with PB - which might get further reduced by other options - I want to be careful...

Also, to show my ignorance - the camping trailer I am expecting to pull has tongue weight around 750# (I have seen numbers between 690 and 750#) and my wife and I weigh around 270# (in total :)). With hitch, some camping supplies - we could be adding somewhere around 200# to the bed.

So, how much margin do we have on the payload? How nervous should we be about the 1830# number? Particularly, how might some of the options we are interested in - Max Trailer Tow, work surface, reclining seats, 7.5kW Power, retractable tonneau (considering loading ramp, not sure) reduce the 1830# number further.

Also, if the rated payload is, for example, 1500# and we are putting 1450# in load inclusive of gear and passengers, is that OK? Or, is there a minimum clearance required/desirable?
Hey Kavm - I'm in the middle of this exact same decision. Retractable Tonneau weighs 90 pounds.
Also - where did you get the 1830 number? From a door sticker, or from the spec sheet from Ford?

kavm

Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; Plan: 2021 F150

kavm

Reaction score
Vehicles
kavm, I made a post in the other forum about this after weighing my trailer hitch weight last Friday. I apparently have been towing my travel trailer for 1.5 years and exceeding the payload by about 200lbs or more, because I undercounted the true hitch weight (was using 604# rather than the true loaded weight of 1000#). So I thought this whole time its been such a pleasure and smooth towing with such a beast of a truck because I had margin. But NOPE! I have about 3.5k towing miles out of 54k total miles on the 2017 XLT. I have done the regular ford maintenance and have not paid a dime extra (prepaid maintenance plan), except for replacing 2 tires recently because one had an unpatchable area nail. Zero problems with the truck (though this is anecdotal and not proof that ford specs have margin).

New truck will be 300lbs less capable, but I am shedding 400lbs (shell + dogs) and will still be over the spec. But also gaining 500lbs of truck to help be more stable and in control of the trailer if I ever do get in a situation. Now I will be hyperaware of putting anything extra in the truck or in front of the axles in the trailer. It sure was fun being blissfully ignorant before though, I gotta admit...
Hi daemonic3!

Thank you for this! May be they are too conservative in the posted rating. But, I would worry about what happens if one is inspected at a weigh station...

OP
currybob

currybob

First Name
Bob
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 King Ranch F150; 2020 Lexus RX350; 2016 Dodge Challanger Hellcat
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
That one was the Platinum. The Limited PB was 1371. Can't remember what options brought the Plat down off top of my head.
Yep, I believe it was the Platinum was VIN ending in 105. It was not a powerboost but had the generator because the inverter was under the back seat which keeps it from have the lockable under seat storage.

20201009_112336.jpg

kavm

Reaction score
Vehicles
Yep, I believe it was the Platinum was VIN ending in 105. It was not a powerboost but had the generator because the inverter was under the back seat which keeps it from have the lockable under seat storage.

20201009_112336.jpg
Thanks Bob! That helps a lot! There is some hope left :)

91heelncville

First Name
Derek
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
Thanks Bob! That helps a lot! There is some hope left :)
Adding on. Really appreciate your insights. I'm not "great" with this kind of decision and it's a big deal for me. Bob: beers (or your drinks of choice) on me if our orbits ever intersect.

Advertisement

Advertisement