05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Jeep Rubicon LJ, 2018 Toyota Tacoma
Based on what I am seeing with these events, if Ford says the event is Wed and Thurs, check with your largest local dealers to see if they are going to be on their lots for a private event before or after. I think the marketing team is doing public and dealer invite events in the same/area cities.

MileHiGuy

First Name
Stacy
Reaction score
Vehicles
3500 Ram CTD Mega Cap
Occupation
Contractor
If anyone could ask an engineer this question as I cannot seem to find the answer anywhere:

That is, what is the weight difference between the Power Boost truck and the same optioned truck with just the 3.5 EB? Looking at GVW's, it appears to add around 550 lbs which is significant.

Thank you in advance!!

GABAR

First Name
P
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
There’s several reasons why they chose Lenox Square which is right in the middle of Buckhead.

Plenty of money in that area, high pedestrian traffic which means plenty of eyeballs walking and driving albeit not very fast with stop and go traffic, and the closest Ford dealer to Buckhead is north on Peachtree in Chamblee.

OP
currybob

currybob

First Name
Bob
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 King Ranch F150; 2020 Lexus RX350; 2016 Dodge Challanger Hellcat
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
This is interesting. Wonder what trim or feature its part of? Might need the 360 camera to get it?
I'm pretty sure that is the case.

TheWraith

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford F-150, 2020 Chevy Corvette, 2016 Ford Focus
Occupation
Assembler
CurryBob,

Yes!! Keep us posted with your line worker friend and info...
I'm an Assembler in Chicago for the Explorer and love working and building for Ford so excited for my 2021 5.0 XLT in Leadfoot
Currently driving a leftover 2019 Raptor I bought new last week after I got a Dealership to pay me a crazy number for my 2020 C8 Corvette plus give me cash back on my end... waiting hopefully only a few more months to trade Raptor In for a regular working man's truck again with every bell and whistle the XLT offers.

1 last question for you all....

How many of you are upgrading your wheels/tires? Every FX4 pkg truck just has tires that look like peach cutters nothing really aggressive that sticks out at me dispose stepping up to a bigger 20 inch tire
I see a set of 275/60/20 BFG K02 in my near future ASAP on delivery day

OP
currybob

currybob

First Name
Bob
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 King Ranch F150; 2020 Lexus RX350; 2016 Dodge Challanger Hellcat
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
CurryBob,

I'm an Assembler in Chicago for the Explorer and love working and building for Ford so excited for my 2021 5.0 XLT in Leadfoot
Currently driving a leftover 2019 Raptor I bought new last week after I got a Dealership to pay me a crazy number for my 2020 C8 Corvette plus give me cash back on my end... waiting hopefully only a few more months to trade Raptor In for a regular working man's truck again with every bell and whistle the XLT offers.

How many of you are upgrading your wheels/tires? Every FX4 pkg truck just has tires that look like peach cutters nothing really aggressive that sticks out at me dispose stepping up to a bigger 20 inch tire
I will certainly do that!

I do a swap with a tire dealer friend of mine the day my truck comes in. I don't off road, just pull my bass boat and run around town and stuff. I like the Michelin's, so they give my credit for mine and I pay a little extra.

Then it will go Line-X for the spray-in.

21PlatiDZL

First Name
Mickle
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum Diesel FX4
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
CurryBob,

Planning to level the truck and get 34’s on there like I did for my 2018 platinum diesel...

DA66F604-E4DC-4B6F-9CF2-6B99721CC079.jpeg

TheWraith

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford F-150, 2020 Chevy Corvette, 2016 Ford Focus
Occupation
Assembler
CurryBob,

I'm jealous love Line-X
Called my local dealership and since I'm ordering the "Retractable " Tonneau cover I'd have to take it off before they would install. Didn't feeling like going though all that in the middle of winter so I was a sucker and ordered factory spray in so its all done for me...
Curious what the Retractable cover looks like as nothing has been shown besides what's in the accessories booklet from previous year...

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicles
If anyone could ask an engineer this question as I cannot seem to find the answer anywhere:

That is, what is the weight difference between the Power Boost truck and the same optioned truck with just the 3.5 EB? Looking at GVW's, it appears to add around 550 lbs which is significant.

Thank you in advance!!
By my calculations, the weight difference would be 570lbs, so your right on the money. As more and more folks post door stickers, I think we could narrow that number down. Ford should be close to releasing the update/full config tool soon. If they have been producing trucks at the Michigan plant, they are close to being ready for Job 1 and retail sales deliveries.

MileHiGuy

First Name
Stacy
Reaction score
Vehicles
3500 Ram CTD Mega Cap
Occupation
Contractor
@08RuviconLJ
Thanks for the reply. Pretty significant weight adder. I want the truck to be tow able behind the RV and maybe this option does not make the most sense.

I am assuming the only charging of the battery if from regenerative breaking so optimizing the battery potential from the daily commute could be hit or miss verses plugging it in each night and utilizing as much as you can daily.

Sparky

Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
By my calculations, the weight difference would be 570lbs, so your right on the money. As more and more folks post door stickers, I think we could narrow that number down. Ford should be close to releasing the update/full config tool soon. If they have been producing trucks at the Michigan plant, they are close to being ready for Job 1 and retail sales deliveries.
Depending on the configuration, I believe the the diff is closer to 345lbs. From the official Ford specs for a 157.2 wheel base 4x4 the gvwr is 7150 for a EB and 7350 for a PB. In all cases comparing apples to apples the PB has a little higher gvwr than the EB. The payload diff for the example above is 2155 for the EB and 1810 for the Pb. (Diff of 345). Again it appears the PB has a little higher gvwr than the EB similar truck.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicles
Depending on the configuration, I believe the the diff is closer to 345lbs. From the official Ford specs for a 157.2 wheel base 4x4 the gvwr is 7150 for a EB and 7350 for a PB. In all cases comparing apples to apples the PB has a little higher gvwr than the EB. The payload diff for the example above is 2155 for the EB and 1810 for the Pb. (Diff of 345). Again it appears the PB has a little higher gvwr than the EB similar truck.
The GVWR is the maximum amount of weight the truck is rated for. That includes the weight of the truck + passengers + cargo. To get to the the GW of the truck itself, you would have to back off the payload figures provided by Ford.

For a Supercrew - 4x4 - 145.4"
3.5L: 7,050 (GVWR) - 2,100 (Payload) = 4,950 (estimated weight of truck)
PB: 7,350 (GVWR) - 1,830 (Payload) = 5,520 (estimated weight of truck)

Theoretically, if you were going camping in your PB with 3 of your buddies (4 adults total) and the total weight of all passengers was 800lbs, you could only put 1,030lb of weight in the bed before you exceeded the GVWR.

Last edited:

Sparky

Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
The GVWR is the maximum amount of weight the truck is rated for. That includes the weight of the truck + passengers + cargo. To get to the the GW of the truck itself, you would have to back off the payload figures provided by Ford.

For a Supercrew - 4x4 - 145.4"
3.5L: 7,050 (GVWR) - 2,100 (Payload) = 4,950 (estimated weight of truck)
PB: 7,350 (GVWR) - 1,830 (Payload) = 5,520 (estimated weight of truck)

Theoretically, if you were going camping in your PB with 3 of your buddies (4 adults total) and the total weight of all passengers was 800lbs, you could only put 1,030lb of weight in the bed before you exceeded the GVWR.
I agree the PB truck weighs over 500lbs more than a similar EB but with the increased gvwr for the PB the actual payload difference is about 270 in your example. Depending on how you use the truck and needs, I don’t think it’s too bad if you want the PB. Wish it was more but I’m glad Ford increased the gvwr on the PB.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicles
I agree the PB truck weighs over 500lbs more than a similar EB but with the increased gvwr for the PB the actual payload difference is about 270 in your example. Depending on how you use the truck and needs, I don’t think it’s too bad if you want the PB. Wish it was more but I’m glad Ford increased the gvwr on the PB.
I'm buying a PB. The difference GW and GVWR between the PB and the EB don't impact my decision. The truck will do what I need it to do and more. But, for @MileHiGuy, the higher gross weight of the PB truck could mean a lot when pulling it down the highway behind his RV.

kavm

Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; Plan: 2021 F150
Does anyone have a rough idea of how much weight retractable tonneau would add? With only 1,830 (Payload) with PB - which might get further reduced by other options - I want to be careful...

Also, to show my ignorance - the camping trailer I am expecting to pull has tongue weight around 750# (I have seen numbers between 690 and 750#) and my wife and I weigh around 270# (in total :)). With hitch, some camping supplies - we could be adding somewhere around 200# to the bed.

So, how much margin do we have on the payload? How nervous should we be about the 1830# number? Particularly, how might some of the options we are interested in - Max Trailer Tow, work surface, reclining seats, 7.5kW Power, retractable tonneau (considering loading ramp, not sure) reduce the 1830# number further.

Also, if the rated payload is, for example, 1500# and we are putting 1450# in load inclusive of gear and passengers, is that OK? Or, is there a minimum clearance required/desirable?

jamesraywall

First Name
Ray
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Retired
Am I the only one put off by the actual shape of the max recline seats? How the shoulder part flares out and all? Looks like someone just glued a T shaped pillow on top of a regular seat.
I agree.

91heelncville

First Name
Derek
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
Thanks for posting all the pix from Atlanta! Can you tell me if this is the sticker from the Limited or the Platinum? I'm aiming for the Limited as a tow vehicle but that Cargo capacity is well below the 1810 Max listed in the Ford specs document.
1602784478961.png

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
@08RuviconLJ
Thanks for the reply. Pretty significant weight adder. I want the truck to be tow able behind the RV and maybe this option does not make the most sense.

I am assuming the only charging of the battery if from regenerative breaking so optimizing the battery potential from the daily commute could be hit or miss verses plugging it in each night and utilizing as much as you can daily.
If it's like all other hybrids, the battery charges during regenerative braking as well as when the gasoline engine is running making the electric motor operate as a generator. I don't think the battery is large enough at 1.5 KWH to make it worth while as a plug-in hybrid, hence there is no plug-in option.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for posting all the pix from Atlanta! Can you tell me if this is the sticker from the Limited or the Platinum? I'm aiming for the Limited as a tow vehicle but that Cargo capacity is well below the 1810 Max listed in the Ford specs document.
1602784478961.png
That one was the Platinum. The Limited PB was 1371. Can't remember what options brought the Plat down off top of my head.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicles
Does anyone have a rough idea of how much weight retractable tonneau would add? With only 1,830 (Payload) with PB - which might get further reduced by other options - I want to be careful...

Also, to show my ignorance - the camping trailer I am expecting to pull has tongue weight around 750# (I have seen numbers between 690 and 750#) and my wife and I weigh around 270# (in total :)). With hitch, some camping supplies - we could be adding somewhere around 200# to the bed.

So, how much margin do we have on the payload? How nervous should we be about the 1830# number? Particularly, how might some of the options we are interested in - Max Trailer Tow, work surface, reclining seats, 7.5kW Power, retractable tonneau (considering loading ramp, not sure) reduce the 1830# number further.

Also, if the rated payload is, for example, 1500# and we are putting 1450# in load inclusive of gear and passengers, is that OK? Or, is there a minimum clearance required/desirable?

The one on my Tacoma is fiberglass and weighs in at 71 pounds (based on the door sticker telling me the payload has been reduced by that amount). I think a Bakflip comes in at about the same number. It's bigger (obviously) than my Tacoma tonneau, but is made of lighter materials. I have seen other manuf. quote at low at 60lbs and as high as 95lbs.

Advertisement

Advertisement