Sponsored

Reverse braking assist inoperative

Vrhaines

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Raptor
Hello! Just took delivery of a 2021 F150 and it has the “reverse braking assist not available”

so I consulted the manual and drove backward on a straight road and nothing. Anyone else solve it? I know it was an issue with explorers too.

I have to go to the dealer on Tuesday for some we owe things but I was hoping to keep it out of service so far. Thanks in advance
Sponsored

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Retired, Part Time Consultant
Hello! Just took delivery of a 2021 F150 and it has the “reverse braking assist not available”

so I consulted the manual and drove backward on a straight road and nothing. Anyone else solve it? I know it was an issue with explorers too.

I have to go to the dealer on Tuesday for some we owe things but I was hoping to keep it out of service so far. Thanks in advance
The only time i have ever seen this was when one of the back doors was not completely closed.

Last edited:

Sbdavis1

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150 Lariat ordered 2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Financial Planner, Lawyer

That message popped up when my wife opened the passenger door while I was in gear for reverse but not moving. I’d make sure all doors are fully closed as a first step.

OP
OP

Vrhaines

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Raptor
Then the i have ever seen this was when one of the back doors was not completely closed.
All the doors are closed. I could try to open and shut them hard and then back up but I has all the doors open today so I don’t know. No door ajar warning.

mustanga10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 Sport 2015 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Public Service/Government
I've had the message if I didn't come to a complete stop before going into reverse. Also I think it says in the book you have to back slower than 5mph

Sponsored

OP
OP

Vrhaines

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Raptor
I've had the message if I didn't come to a complete stop before going into reverse. Also I think it says in the book you have to back slower than 5mph
Im
Having the issue every time it’s in reverse. Pain in the rear. And the onboard owners manual is really less than helpful.

keithw1975

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 302A, 2023 Explorer ST, 1999 Ram 3500
I get this when I turn off traction control.

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
Due to the tight confines, when backing into my garage the perimeter sensor alarms go nuts, and the alarms are very annoying, so I turn off the "Active Park Assist" button on the screen... but that also turns off "Reverse Brake Assist", which I wish it didn't. I want the alarm when I'm about to hit something unexpectedly, but not when I'm carefully creeping in reverse in a known tight space.

On my old 2010 F150 I could hit a button on the dash to temporarily silence all the annoying alarms when backing up.

Lateonthebrakes

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
Occupation
Engineer
I consistently get this message when I have the truck in reverse with the traction control disabled. But I don't get the message when the traction control is on. I don't see any dependency on it in the owner's manual but it's the only thing I've been able to find. I took it to the dealer and it had one communication error but they were able to clear it with no hard faults. And I can confirm it still shows not available with the traction control off.

Sponsored

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
For those that had it start with a door open, go into the menu and turn it off then back on. Worked for me.

Hellphire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Lariat FX4 3.5EB
Occupation
Iron casting foundry
Picked up truck 2 days ago. Have gotten the error message for reverse brake assist ever since I left the dealership. Doors are not open. Checked fuses which all of them were loose. Still doesn’t work. Turned the function off and on several times. Did everything the manual says.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150

Good morning! I would like to see what I can do to assist with this brake issue. Could you please send over a private message with your VIN and estimated mileage to get things started?

DennisG

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Same issue with my 2021. Pretty much from day 1 whenever you put it into reverse you get the "reverse brake assist not available" error. Checked the doors, hood, etc. turned on and off the sensors, drove in a straight line, everything the manual says no change. Heading down to the dealer to have them check it out.

Ford F-150 Reverse braking assist inoperative IMG_0450

Lateonthebrakes

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
Occupation
Engineer
Traction control vs no traction control for me.
Ford F-150 Reverse braking assist inoperative PXL_20210908_201705782

Ford F-150 Reverse braking assist inoperative PXL_20210908_201654124
Sponsored