Retrofitting Tailgate w/ Step

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
I'm looking at purchasing a Laramie Powerboost but I don't want the Power Tailgate as I will be putting a GoFast topper on it. Given that the topper has a roof top tent built in to it having the step would be awfully nice for access.

I'll probably end up buying an aftermarket step but wanted to see if it is possible to retrofit the OEM tailgate with step. Not sure it would even be cost effective if I could but curious all the same . . . thoughts?
Sponsored

kwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Cherokee, 2021 F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Corporate Finance
To answer your question, I'm unsure that you could retrofit it but in my opinion, it seems like such a hassle I don't know that it would be worth it.

There are two packages the Power Tailgate package ($695 USD) that includes the power tailgate, step, and work surface and it's available on Lariat's +. Then there is the Tailgate Step and Tailgate Work Surface package ($430 USD) that is just the step and worksurface. To me, it seems like the $430 package would be breakeven for parts and labor on you retrofitting it yourself. Just my .02, everybody obviously has their own way of doing life!

OP
OP
ryanc111

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
To answer your question, I'm unsure that you could retrofit it but in my opinion, it seems like such a hassle I don't know that it would be worth it.

There are two packages the Power Tailgate package ($695 USD) that includes the power tailgate, step, and work surface and it's available on Lariat's +. Then there is the Tailgate Step and Tailgate Work Surface package ($430 USD) that is just the step and worksurface. To me, it seems like the $430 package would be breakeven for parts and labor on you retrofitting it yourself. Just my .02, everybody obviously has their own way of doing life!
I would go with the $430 package in a heartbeat but it’s not available on the Lariat and above unfortunately.

Any idea on the weight difference between the powered and non-powered packages? I may be able to absorb the cost but trying to maximize payload as much as possible.

kwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Cherokee, 2021 F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Corporate Finance
I would go with the $430 package in a heartbeat but it’s not available on the Lariat and above unfortunately.

Any idea on the weight difference between the powered and non-powered packages? I may be able to absorb the cost but trying to maximize payload as much as possible.
You sure? I show it on the B&P for Lariat and above. On the KR and Platinum, the power tailgate is forced if you add anything higher than the base package so maybe that's what you're seeing. I think the best way to tell would be to compare payload for a truck with and without the power tailgate. It'd be easier to compare on the Lariat because the 502A high doesn't force the power tailgate like the 601A and the 701A do.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ryanc111

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
You sure? I show it on the B&P for Lariat and above. On the KR and Platinum, the power tailgate is forced if you add anything higher than the base package so maybe that's what you're seeing. I think the best way to tell would be to compare payload for a truck with and without the power tailgate. It'd be easier to compare on the Lariat because the 502A high doesn't force the power tailgate like the 601A and the 701A do.
Yep. When I add it on the Lariat (w/ 502A high, FX4 & Sport) it requires the addition of the Power tailgate.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I just put together what I remember from deep diving into it a while back. Each trim (except Limited) only has 2 out of the 3 tailgates possible, as you can see here. X means base and O means optional and I listed the package that forces it as well. Otherwise O means a la carte. Regarding the weight, 40# is payload impact from previous generation and is likely similar in '21. My total guess for the extra motor is additional 20#, I have not seen a definitive conclusion on that (would require 2 equivalent Lariats to share payload stickers with and without tailgate)

Ford F-150 Retrofitting Tailgate w/ Step 1614289435357

goatlord99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Supercrew Lariat Powerboost
may be a naive question, but why would it matter to have the power tailgate with that topper?

bouvier

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW GTI, 2011 Flex
Occupation
retired from HP
The gee whiz factor of the power tailgate and pull out step is obvious. I'm trying to get as much payload capacity with the PB 502a Lariat and the ~60 lb. hit of the step seems like a lot. A small step stool will have to suffice for our truck.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I think you can turn off the power tailgate. And even if you can’t you do t need to use it. You can always open and close it manually.

Sponsored

goatlord99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Supercrew Lariat Powerboost
The gee whiz factor of the power tailgate and pull out step is obvious. I'm trying to get as much payload capacity with the PB 502a Lariat and the ~60 lb. hit of the step seems like a lot. A small step stool will have to suffice for our truck.
sure makes sense. I have the power tailgate...(it is ridiculous...but yet I got it) and was thinking about getting a topper like you mentioned and wanted to make sure I was not missing a critical issue.

JGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I think the main concern is the topper door will be to tight to allow the tailgate to close in auto. If the tailgate feels some resistant it will not lock in place and come back down.. I have a cover on mine and had to do a little adjusting to make the tailgate close in auto. It works great on mine, you should not have a problem
Sponsored