First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat & 2015 Transit T-250
Occupation
Contractor
I have the Retrax Pro xr and very happy with it. I am in Miami, FL and not worried about the summer sun, it has been in the 80's here since I installed and did not notice any undue heat. Would suspect vinyl to be very bad and the "Plastic" ones not to last in the sun/heat as well as the the aluminum I have.
Sponsored

RockChalk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Canyon
Hi desertlivin.

That is the very cover I had been eyeing! Then, I found I could order it through Ford along with my Truck directly and save ~$375 using my X-Plan. Even w/o X-Plan, the $1695 Ford price is still $234 lower than the $1929 MSRP of the Retrax - for the same cover!

The Ford Retractable Cover is a Ford-badged Embark LS cover. I am almost certain that this is a re-branded Retrax ProXR. Below are the Ford Accessories List, the model for the 2021 F-150, and a related article from Ranger 5G.com Forum showing they are the same cover. This is indirect proof but is easily corroborated by looking at photos of the Embark LS on Ford's web site and the Retrax Pro XR. Indistinguishable! Pretty compelling, to me anyway. It's why I ordered the Ford cover, sight unseen.

Take a look and best of luck!

2021 F-150 Accessories List with MSRP pricing and part numbers listed:
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...list-pricing-and-part-numbers.224/#post-19524

1612702521398.png

Accessories.ford.com:
https://accessories.ford.com/cover-tonneau-12096.html

Related article from Ranger 5G.com stating they are the same cover:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/embark-ls-retrax-pro-xr-read-this-before-installation.1811/#:~:text=The "Embark LS" is the same kit as,any questions. Same part number on both kits
Have you confirmed this? I have the X-plan as well, would be a no brainer to order it factory installed.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
@SuperClyde, @RockChaulk -

This $1,631 from Levittown Ford is well below the $1,695 MSRP price on the regular Ford Build-and-Price page and the $1,929 MSRP of the Retrax. Well done.

But, if you can access it, the X-Plan is still the cheaper option.

Below is a cut-and-past from the B&P page with the X-Plan discount. As you can see, I paid $1,558 for the Retractable Tonneau Cover. I just checked and verified it's still current. Yes, a no-brainer. ;)

Ford F-150 Retrax ProXR bed cover 1616294170830

Happy Covering!

SuperClyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ram 1500 TRX Sandblast Edition
@SuperClyde, @RockChaulk -

This $1,631 from Levittown Ford is well below the $1,695 MSRP price on the regular Ford Build-and-Price page and the $1,929 MSRP of the Retrax. Well done.

But, if you can access it, the X-Plan is still the cheaper option.

Below is a cut-and-past from the B&P page with the X-Plan discount. As you can see, I paid $1,558 for the Retractable Tonneau Cover. I just checked and verified it's still current. Yes, a no-brainer. ;)

1616294170830.png

Happy Covering!
You are correct, but for those that have already ordered or bought off the lot that isn't an option. It is good to see we have multiple options.

Sponsored

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-150 Platinum , 22 Edge, 23 Explorer ST
Occupation
Retired
Hi Gang, new kid on the block here. (Not new to Ford but just got a 2021 F150 Star White Plat.).
I upgraded from a 2019 Ranger Lariat which I used the Retrax with slots. Well sort of. Since I am retired and have nothing but time to screw around with my trucks, I learned a couple things.
Other than Ford rebranding a lot what I added to my Ranger before it was theirs's, the company Retrax is the mama company. There are several brands of retract covers that look like the Retrax. Gator is another one and a few more that I cannot recall at the moment. They are also one of the few companies that boast of the smallest cannister which saves you a lot of wasted cargo space.

I originally got the retract for my Ranger without the slots. But I bought it with the Gator branding. Later on realizing that it looked exactly like Retrax in every perspective including install documents.
Retrax is the ONLY company I know of that sells replacement parts for their covers and has a good warranty...

Including the slotted rails. They go for over $400 by themselves. I actually found a guy that had a brand new set for $225 on ebay. I said what the hell, give them a shot. Removed the Gator cover and bingo. All mounts to the canister and such were exact.

So here's the deal. I noticed that when laying the rails on the trucks side rails, they wouldn't sit flat on the ranger. I installed as instructed and had leaks. Wasn't crazy about them. The instructions mention making sure the whole unit is to the rear enough using their little plastic clips as guides. Still ng....

I tried getting rails to lay flat to no avail. The tailgate end of the rails were raised higher than all of them. Fine near the cab, pitched toward tailgate. I'm guessing Ford messed up somewhere or it was the plastic rail protectors. Had my wife sit and push on them while I was fastening them down. Still not enough.

This lil' tip may solve your leak problem and make the appearance that much nicer. It also cuts down on install time especially if you are working alone. Find yourself some 1"x1" by 4-6" piece of wood. You'll be using clamps such as the below. You put the wood underneath the rail in the cavity so the clamp can sit on it while the outside is clamping the top of the rail. Ratchet the clamp down. You'll see you can make it about 98-99% flush. Then attach your cover clamps inside. Remove c-clamps and viola! Much better fit and smoother appearance. Leaking is near nil.
Still waiting on my Retrax as everyone is weeks out. I was told that they now make them as ordered. So extra wait. The ones for my Ranger took a few days but that was last year some time.

Clamps: IRWIN QUICK-GRIP Clamps, One-Handed, Mini Bar, 6-Inch, 4-Pack (1964758) - Angle Clamps - Amazon.com

Hope this helps ya'll and Good Luck... :)

2021f150

First Name
Jaret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 powerboost
I’ve been happy with the quality of my Retrax pro XR. But after having it for two months, I’m thinking of switching to a roll up cover that doesn’t have the canister that eats space. I’m in SF bay area. If anyone is interested and can pick it up, I’ll sell it for $1200. It’s a great deal b/c it’s only 2 months old.

Cubfan1

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC YukonXL, Ford 2021 f 150 Ltd.
Occupation
Healthcare
I’ve been happy with the quality of my Retrax pro XR. But after having it for two months, I’m thinking of switching to a roll up cover that doesn’t have the canister that eats space. I’m in SF bay area. If anyone is interested and can pick it up, I’ll sell it for $1200. It’s a great deal b/c it’s only 2 months old.
Hello Jaret, may I ask why you are going with the roll up as opposed to
something like the back flip ? Many thanks !

KartRacer25

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SuperCab Sport 4x4 5.0 3.73 Space White
Occupation
Senior Software Engineer
Great thread, good info. I have a question.
Anyone actually get the retractable tonneau from factory yet and have a pic?
Or know if it has rails slots for a bed rack or not?
Sounds like its the Retrax Pro XR as said earlier, and one in Ford parts online has slots but pics I see of what I think is Ford OEM factory installed one does't have slots.
(I ordered factory one :)

Thanks,

Scoot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost 502A FX4
For those that have the ProXR how is it with water proofing? Any water leaking into the bed?
Just installed my pro xr this week and took her thru the car wash to test today.

Results are mixed. No leaking at the rails, but my drain hoses don't seal 100% into the canister and leak around the attachment points. Looking for a workaround. Shouldn't be too hard though I presume.

A few drops in the tailgate area, but I'm sure a little tailgate seal tape from the same company (retrax) would work fine.

Sponsored

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Retired, Part Time Consultant
How did it work out?
It works pretty well. I still get a little water around the top corners. I had to remove the seal from the lower right bottom (about a foot, where the motor cover is). It kept getting caught and pulled off when the tailgate would go up and down.

Nightshade

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Ford F-150 Lariat | '22 Ford F-350 S/D Tremor
Occupation
Firefighter Superintendent
I would like to know how it is holding up for everyone here with a Retrax tonneau cover? I'm considering changing my BAKFlip MX4 to a Retrax tonneau cover solely for the crossbars mounting. My big issue is, how well does it hold up in extreme winter conditions?

Has anyone here from Canada ever had any issues with one, or does anyone in the US with tons of snow all during winter seasons have any problems with these Retrax tonneau covers? I'm out in Alberta, so we do see a lot of harsh winter temperatures as low as -45 to -50 degrees Celsius with or without wind chills; it's crazy.

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat & 2015 Transit T-250
Occupation
Contractor
I would like to know how it is holding up for everyone here with a Retrax tonneau cover? I'm considering changing my BAKFlip MX4 to a Retrax tonneau cover solely for the crossbars mounting. My big issue is, how well does it hold up in extreme winter conditions?

Has anyone here from Canada ever had any issues with one, or does anyone in the US with tons of snow all during winter seasons have any problems with these Retrax tonneau covers? I'm out in Alberta, so we do see a lot of harsh winter temperatures as low as -45 to -50 degrees Celsius with or without wind chills; it's crazy.
I have this on my truck but no snow in Miami, FL but we have good hard rain and it is always dry. Works fine like new with over 10k miles on it.

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I put a retraxpro mx on my '17. It used to leak up near the tailgate at one corner. I just moved it to my '22 and have yet to install the drain tubes so I have not let it get wet, but I believe in my '17 it had slipped a bit allowing the water leak. Even on my '22 when being careful I found It had slipped and I had to readjust it after I finished. I can report back after I get the drain holes drilled but our fam got the COVID and we've been knocked out since Saturday.

Note I never expected a waterproof cover. I wanted something to keep most the water off stuff if I had the fam with me and we had to bring something with us or something home and wanted some level of water protection. It always did that job to my expectations.
Sponsored