First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
I would like to know how it is holding up for everyone here with a Retrax tonneau cover? I'm considering changing my BAKFlip MX4 to a Retrax tonneau cover solely for the crossbars mounting. My big issue is, how well does it hold up in extreme winter conditions?

Has anyone here from Canada ever had any issues with one, or does anyone in the US with tons of snow all during winter seasons have any problems with these Retrax tonneau covers? I'm out in Alberta, so we do see a lot of harsh winter temperatures as low as -45 to -50 degrees Celsius with or without wind chills; it's crazy.
I’ve had 2 Retrax covers, one on my 2013 F150 for 8 years, and the Ford rebranded one on my 2021. I live in Boston. There have been times when it has frozen shut after rain storm with a quick freeze. Minor issue for me. When it snows I clean it off with the rest of the truck.

The 2021 Ford Retrax is considerably dryer than the 2013 was
Sponsored

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat & 2015 Transit T-250
Occupation
Contractor
Mine is dry as bone and in Miami we get some very hard rain.
Topical storm due here in the next day or two and would expect no water in the truck bed.

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
So I put my pro mx from my '17 on my '22 and here are some notes (which may not occur on a model made specifically for a '22 though they said my '17 would fit fine. I don't know if they are different models or not):

I'm getting water in at the tailgate. I have it aligned properly but I've also noticed that no matter how hard I try and adjust it and keep it square to the tailgate, the cover itself does not close as much on the passenger side than the driver side. Here is a pic. You can see the slat doesn't rest against the rubber seal. On the driver side it is. It's about 1/8" an inch.
Ford F-150 Retrax ProXR bed cover download_20220612_213019

I attribute this to the fact that you close it by pulling on the driver side. I've also noticed that it appears I don't have a great seal at the tailgate. It might have to do with the tailgate step? Not sure.

Second, I drove to get some new running boards and I had to use the "lock it anywhere along the length of the bed" feature. Well, it slipped back. When I got home, I was able to adjust the pins that lock against the rails, but I can see where it has left grooves in the rails. I can always buy new rails and mine are 5 years old. I've emailed them asking about it. If I do get new ones, I want to see if I can put the ones with t tracks on 🙂

Even with these 2 things I still love the cover and I would buy it again. I'm not overly concerned about keeping all the water out for my use case. Now that I know how it "locks", I will be more careful about what I keep in there and for how long. Not that the lock itself is great, but I bet if you pushed hard enough, you could push it open, even if it's locked.
Sponsored