Retrax ProXR bed cover

desertlivin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla M3, 2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Network Architect
This will be my first truck. I am considering a RetraxPRO XR bed cover that will allow me to add Thule racks and mountain bikes to the bed.

I live in Las Vegas so have to consider the summer temps and an aluminum bed cover. Does anyone have experience with the RetraxPRO? If not the XR, the MX etc. I am curious to hear others views, thank you.

https://retrax.com/retraxpro-xr
Sponsored

zdjelar

First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
Just ordered the Pro XR a couple of weeks ago. It’ll be my first experience with it so I’ll let you know my impressions. Truck arrives at end of month.

I have a similar use case with rack. Heads up, depending on which rack you want to use, you may find it very hard to source some of the parts.

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
This will be my first truck. I am considering a RetraxPRO XR bed cover that will allow me to add Thule racks and mountain bikes to the bed.

I live in Las Vegas so have to consider the summer temps and an aluminum bed cover. Does anyone have experience with the RetraxPRO? If not the XR, the MX etc. I am curious to hear others views, thank you.

I’ve had a Retrax Pro on my truck since 2013. I love it. They didn’t offer the t slot channels at the time so I added my own.

Ford F-150 Retrax ProXR bed cover 17795BF5-DBDB-4D7E-B87F-FAAEC6F82E0F

Matt604

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer 2011->Ford 150 PB Limited 2021
I’ve had a Retrax Pro on my truck since 2013. I love it. They didn’t offer the t slot channels at the time so I added my own.

17795BF5-DBDB-4D7E-B87F-FAAEC6F82E0F.jpeg
Nice setup there. How did you add t-slot after the fact? Also see the square bars from Thule and all the specs today say the only Thule bar long enough is a silver only ProBar?

OP
OP
desertlivin

desertlivin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Network Architect
Just ordered the Pro XR a couple of weeks ago. It’ll be my first experience with it so I’ll let you know my impressions. Truck arrives at end of month.

I have a similar use case with rack. Heads up, depending on which rack you want to use, you may find it very hard to source some of the parts.
Nice! I was able to successfully order a few items from Thule for the roof earlier this month. The idea is to carry kayaks on the roof, bikes on the bed. Most likely won't be carrying both at the same time.

I know Thule and others have seen demand jump and supplies diminish. A common occurance across any outdoor recreation type of activity it seems.

Thule Evo foot pack
Thule Wingbar Evo load bar
Thule Compass 4 in 1 Kayak/SUP pack

Sponsored

OP
OP
desertlivin

desertlivin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Network Architect

17795BF5-DBDB-4D7E-B87F-FAAEC6F82E0F.jpeg
This is exactly the type of thing I am looking to do. Any regrets on the Retrax at all?

LIVRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Explorer, escape
Occupation
Engineer

Did you get any order update? Ordered weeks ago and nothing. Ordered direct from retrax

OP
OP
desertlivin

desertlivin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Network Architect
Did you get any order update? Ordered weeks ago and nothing. Ordered direct from retrax
I haven't ordered anything yet. I am planning on going through the local dealer to have them do the install. They have asked me to bring the truck by first. I don't pick my truck up until next month.

G_Money

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat Powerboost
This is the cover i'm eyeing as well because of the T-slots. Would be good to see what rack bases and crossbars everyone runs on theirs. I like the quick mount/disconnect that the rhino bases offer - so eyeing those to go along with it. I have two BMW branded, Thule manufactured bike racks that I am hoping to reuse. Will slap a sticker over the BMW logo :)

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer

I am pretty sure that this is exactly the tonneau that Ford has on its configurator as 'Retractable Tonneau Cover'. Will research and confirm ...

Sponsored

zdjelar

First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
I am pretty sure that this is exactly the tonneau that Ford has on its configurator as 'Retractable Tonneau Cover'. Will research and confirm ...
It is, I think they call it Embark or something like that. Just a word of caution, only comes with 3 year warranty like the vehicle. If purchased from Retrax, it’s a lifetime warranty.

Same thing with factory spray in liner vs Line-X.

G_Money

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat Powerboost
Does the Ford cover have the T-slots or do you have to add those after the fact?

zdjelar

First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
This is the cover i'm eyeing as well because of the T-slots. Would be good to see what rack bases and crossbars everyone runs on theirs. I like the quick mount/disconnect that the rhino bases offer - so eyeing those to go along with it. I have two BMW branded, Thule manufactured bike racks that I am hoping to reuse. Will slap a sticker over the BMW logo :)
I’m also coming from a BMW.

I’m doing the Yakima Skyline HD bars so I can also reuse them down the road if I get the Overhaul HD towers one day. I want the extra width (78 inches) and weight carrying of the HD bars. Several components required to make this happen with the Pro XR are hard to source right now like the towers and HD adapter.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer

Hi desertlivin.

That is the very cover I had been eyeing! Then, I found I could order it through Ford along with my Truck directly and save ~$375 using my X-Plan. Even w/o X-Plan, the $1695 Ford price is still $234 lower than the $1929 MSRP of the Retrax - for the same cover!

The Ford Retractable Cover is a Ford-badged Embark LS cover. I am almost certain that this is a re-branded Retrax ProXR. Below are the Ford Accessories List, the model for the 2021 F-150, and a related article from Ranger 5G.com Forum showing they are the same cover. This is indirect proof but is easily corroborated by looking at photos of the Embark LS on Ford's web site and the Retrax Pro XR. Indistinguishable! Pretty compelling, to me anyway. It's why I ordered the Ford cover, sight unseen.

Take a look and best of luck!

2021 F-150 Accessories List with MSRP pricing and part numbers listed:
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...list-pricing-and-part-numbers.224/#post-19524

Ford F-150 Retrax ProXR bed cover 1612702521398

Accessories.ford.com:
https://accessories.ford.com/cover-tonneau-12096.html

Related article from Ranger 5G.com stating they are the same cover:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...,any questions. Same part number on both kits