Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Maybe of interest, I see many posts where folks ask what fuses are hot for various purposes. I compiled this from the Ford Service Manual for 2021-2022 F150, the wiring diagrams showing Power Distribution.

One PDF for the Body Control Module (fuse box in the cabin)
One PDF for the Battery Junction Box (fuse box in the engine compartment)
3 Categories of function are listed
  • Hot in Start or Run
  • Hot at All Times
  • Relay Control
"Relay Control" means the fuse is Hot when certain vehicle systems are activated; the relay is controlled by a vehicle module such as the PCM, etc. That's where you may find fuses that go Hot with ACC On without Start / Run; some of those may be subject to delay shut-off after engine off; some of the Relay Control fuses may be subject to 'going cold' even when the 'key is on' as managed by the Battery Protection System (to prevent killing the starter battery). You'll have to test to figure out the behavior of those, it's too complex and varied for me to tabulate.
  • ALWAYS VERIFY FUSE FUNCTION BEFORE USING
  • The lists may not be complete and not all trucks may have all fuses listed
  • Not all fuses listed are 'blade-type' that lend to fuse taps
  • If you install a tap be sure to test to find the 'Hot Leg' and orient your tap properly!
Hope this is helpful, Have Fun! :)
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...
And this is what forums are meant for! Thanks for this.

air2mag

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum
Thanks for putting this together!

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Great info....thanks

mrtull

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT SCrew SB, FX4 with Tow
Occupation
Teacher
Maybe of interest, I see many posts where folks ask what fuses are hot for various purposes. I compiled this from the Ford Service Manual for 2021-2022 F150, the wiring diagrams showing Power Distribution.

One PDF for the Body Control Module (fuse box in the cabin)
One PDF for the Battery Junction Box (fuse box in the engine compartment)
3 Categories of function are listed
  • Hot in Start or Run
  • Hot at All Times
  • Relay Control
"Relay Control" means the fuse is Hot when certain vehicle systems are activated; the relay is controlled by a vehicle module such as the PCM, etc. You'll have to test to figure out the behavior of those, it's too complex and varied for me to tabulate. That's where you may find fuses that go Hot with ACC On without Start / Run, and some of those may be subject to delay shut-off after engine off. Some of the Relay Control fuses may be subject to 'going cold' even when the 'key is on' as managed by the Battery Protection System (to prevent killing the starter battery).
  • ALWAYS VERIFY FUSE FUNCTION BEFORE USING
  • The lists may not be complete and not all trucks may have all fuses listed
  • Not all fuses listed are 'blade-type' that lend to fuse taps
  • If you install a tap be sure to test to find the 'Hot Leg' and orient your tap properly!
Hope this is helpful, Have Fun! :)
Both a great reference and educational! Glass is definitely raised!!

Sponsored

JScaro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat 501.5A
Occupation
Beer Drinker
Can you check my VIN 1FTEW XYZ

Sorry couldn't resist.

Thanks @Buyer2021 Great job as always!

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
On the subject of Fuse's, I just recently learned that many of the BCM fuses are three bladed micro type. in different amperages. I picked up some spares on Amazon.

Ford F-150 Resource: Tables showing when which fuses are HOT (Always Hot; Hot in Start or Run; etc) Micro 3 blade

scuba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB Mid Front Bench, 2013 E350 4x4
Thanks again, and a fuse question:
For a fuse "not used" that has a 5amp fuse already present in it, should I interpret that as indication that I shouldn't exceed a 5-amp fuse if I use a fuse tap to tap into it?

(I tapped into #22, and ran wire to the console / under passenger set to power a few different things (cell booster, headrest dvd player, Roku). I don't think I'll exceed 5amps, even with that, but would like to know the answer in-general.

Thanks if anyone knows that.

OP
OP
Buyer2021

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Thanks again, and a fuse question:
For a fuse "not used" that has a 5amp fuse already present in it, should I interpret that as indication that I shouldn't exceed a 5-amp fuse if I use a fuse tap to tap into it?

(I tapped into #22, and ran wire to the console / under passenger set to power a few different things (cell booster, headrest dvd player, Roku). I don't think I'll exceed 5amps, even with that, but would like to know the answer in-general.
I'm gonna bore you with a long explanation .....

First, let's look at the source of the info in my table for Fuse 22:

Ford F-150 Resource: Tables showing when which fuses are HOT (Always Hot; Hot in Start or Run; etc) FUSE 22

Note in the above:
  • The 'bus' in the fuse box (the 'hot leg' power source) is shown as "Hot in Start or Run"
  • It shows a 5A fuse for F22 but on the output let there's nothing shown connected, just the note "Not used"
So, just FYI, ^that's^ the source for my table data for F22 (and F36, F37); I went through the entire bunch of those 'cells / images' for each set of fuses in the Service Manual Power Distribution Diagrams to compile the entire table.

With that explanation of my data source, I'll offer these opinions
  • The "busses" within the fuse box have amp-capacity ("ampacity") to power most any likely added load one would want to impose that's within the capacity range of reputable fuse taps
  • Personally I would only use reputable branded fuse taps in my F150, and those will always state the maximum ampacity of the tap device itself (see this product sheet for Bussman taps, all which are limited to 10A for the added circuit, as are taps by Littlefuse; Lumision offers a micro-3 tap claiming an ampacity of 20A per slot)
  • If I ever need to add / switch more than the tap rated load, I'd use the tap as a switching source for a properly sized relay with the load side of the relay powered through a direct-to-battery connection
  • Can you find other / off-brand fuse taps claiming more than 10A~20A capacity for the added circuit? Maybe, caveat emptor.
  • Personally, I'd always insert the same fuse as found OE in the lower-slot of the tap even thought the WSM says it is "Not used"
So, in summary of my opinion , you're OK tapping any fuse in the box with any added circuit amperage within the limits of the tapping device itself.

Hope that helps, Have Fun! :)

Last edited:

Sponsored

fluffernutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lariat PB

cghall77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Excellent, thank you for this. Just about to search when I saw this was unread. Hoping to install 12v and usb adapter in bed with 2kw. Don't want to go direct from battery in order to have some level of battery protect. Hoping to find something that is available for 30-60 minutes after engine shut off.

HeadBanger

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 5.0
On the subject of Fuse's, I just recently learned that many of the BCM fuses are three bladed micro type. in different amperages. I picked up some spares on Amazon.
I did the same thing.. Picked up the wrong 'add a fuse' kit.

HeadBanger

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 5.0
OP, thanks for posting this up! Good stuff! (y)

Gutshot

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT screw
Occupation
Aggregate junkie
Yes, thank you OP, handy info indeed
Sponsored