Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT,302a,FX4,6'7", diamondback cover
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Hi,

Situation:

For the first year or so the autostart feature worked just fine, even when I was driving exclusively in my local area for weeks at a time (no long trips).

Fast forward a year and the autostart stops working. I then take a long trip and autostart starts working like a champ. It continues to work for about three weeks after my long trip has ended. Then it stops working again until I take another long trip.

I want it to work like it did during that first year. The mileage increase in local driving situations is measurable. I have to assume the stock 760 CCA AGM battery has deteriorated in some way (?). I don't know how long this truck sat on a lot waiting for chips or about any other situations that may have damaged the battery. The battery has not faulted, per dealership. I don't have any other electrical issues beyond SYNC 4 being bit a bit buggy at times (software updates have improved it). Ohh wait, auto-updates are greyed out so the dealer has had to manually apply: Probably unrelated to my issue with autostart.

Main Question: Get a good "four stage" battery tender or buy an Odyssey battery?

Other questions:
-If a battery tender is the way to go, any recommended models or brands?

-With a battery tender where do you hook it up? I've read some vague information about electrical sensors and the need to hook up tenders in the "right place".

Thanks in advance. Any advisement, wisdom, practical experience appreciated.

PS: The truck has a 8 year/150k warranty but I can't recall if the battery is covered passed the initial standard warranty. And, yes, I have been hitting the googles for a while now and have searched this forum.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JamesT

JamesT

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT,302a,FX4,6'7", diamondback cover
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Please ignore. Got a quick answer from another forum.