• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Reserved within first 15 minutes, but dealer just told me I won't get a Lightning until 2023.

two wheels

First Name
ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, Ford Escape, Honda Accord
Just a few major thoughts popping into my head along with some realities I guess. I just sold my truck a few months back with the intentions of purchasing an EV truck. I don't work or absolutely need a truck, but I like having a truck for long drives and stuff. I may have to buy another gas truck and an EV truck later (4-5 years). Ford wanting what it does for the extended range sorta turned me off. In future years, that battery cost is going to come down, CONSIDERABLY! That alone will take a bit of the edge off the price. The Silverado doesn't seem in any better position from my perspective. Also too far out for me.
Sponsored

DoomTrain

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sierra, Model S
Just a few major thoughts popping into my head along with some realities I guess. I just sold my truck a few months back with the intentions of purchasing an EV truck. I don't work or absolutely need a truck, but I like having a truck for long drives and stuff. I may have to buy another gas truck and an EV truck later (4-5 years). Ford wanting what it does for the extended range sorta turned me off. In future years, that battery cost is going to come down, CONSIDERABLY! That alone will take a bit of the edge off the price. The Silverado doesn't seem in any better position from my perspective. Also too far out for me.
Just like engine costs have came down in the past 20 years..

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Sure, but here is the question. How do you still know, at this stage of the game that you will get an invite at the new dealership? How do we know that the list has not already been finalized for MY 2022?
I don't think the customer should need to worry about which dealer has enough allocations. My dealership will get a TON of these trucks because they claim to be one of the biggest on the east cost, if not the country. While dealers were scrambling to get a couple of Mach E's in stock, I was walking through his lot filled with at least 50 of them when I picked mine.

I talked to a dealer about 15 miles away that said they're only getting 3. If you weren't aware of that on May 20th of last year, and selected them, you're out of luck. That's wrong. Drive 20 miles... good to go.

What they should do is honor the orders in sequence. Just because somebody wasn't aware that a dealer 20 miles away will get 100 instead of 3 doesn't mean they should tell the customer they need to wait another year or more because they couldn't pick another dealer.

Ford should send each customer their invitation, in order... then give them a choice of which dealer they can finalize the order with. It could mean traveling a bit, but at least they'll get it.

I saw a video on YouTube from a big dealership in the south telling people to consider taking delivery from them, and make a nice vacation out of it.

jazzmanmonty

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Corsair
Occupation
self employeed
Bottom line is Ford and ther cronies dealers are still the same crooks playing the same old games.
F**k Ford and all their Sleasebag dealers
Put in your order for a Cybertruck and buy whichever becomes available first.
At least Tesla doesn't lie, steal and deceive as part of their business model
Didn't you hear? Cybertruck delayed AGAIN for another year! Reason? Not anything mechanical or design flaws.. they just don't want to add another vehicle to their lineup.. I have buddies waiting since day one for the Cybertruck and i see nothing but disappointment on their face every time its delayed. I'll be bored with my lightning and probably be trading it in for a Silverado and they'll still be waiting.. Ya, Tesla's transparent, but i'll be driving in my Lightning next time Elon announces the next "delay."

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
Didn't you hear? Cybertruck delayed AGAIN for another year! Reason? Not anything mechanical or design flaws..

...Tesla's transparent, but i'll be driving in my Lightning next time Elon announces the next "delay."
I was on both lists. I love the CT design, especially how you can lower the tail and extend the ramps, so I can roll bikes, hand trucks, snow machines, etc. instead of lifting them, but the most important thing about any product is that they actually deliver it. They fully intended to deliver the CT a while back so they could be first, but Ford beat them to the finish line, and ever since then, the CT became a lower priority. Well played Ford.

Sponsored

shocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Didn't you hear? Cybertruck delayed AGAIN for another year! Reason? Not anything mechanical or design flaws.. they just don't want to add another vehicle to their lineup..
What I heard (and you have to listen multiple times since Elon is somewhat incoherent, LOL) is that they are still figuring out how to build it at an affordable price. Which means initial costing came out ridiculously expensive. Maybe it's not so easy to fold 1/8" stainless sheet like origami.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
What I heard (and you have to listen multiple times since Elon is somewhat incoherent, LOL) is that they are still figuring out how to build it at an affordable price. Which means initial costing came out ridiculously expensive. Maybe it's not so easy to fold 1/8" stainless sheet like origami.
The stainless steel is actually a cost savings because folding is still easier than pressing parts and welding them together and you don't have the expense of painting the body.

The trouble is there were a whole bunch of other things that were much bigger hurdles.

1. The most expensive thing on an EV is the battery technology. They assumed they would have their new 4680 battery factory up and running to lower the cost while extending the range. They're still not able to make these in volume. Using their older cells was an option, but it would cost more, and they wouldn't have the same range and power. Ditto for the Semi. Without the 4680, they simply can't make that truck.

2. They intended to use their new GigaPress in Texas to build some of the major frame components, which still hasn't been installed in the new Texas factory. The factory took longer than expected. They could redesign some of the structural stuff and build traditional frames in California by hand by welding parts like other factories, but it was a key part of the design and cost savings. That would take away capacity for their already sold out cars.

3. They're planning on using their custom Dojo CPU platform for the newest generation cars. It's like Ludicrous Speed.. For AI and full self driving. Not ready yet too.

4. The Model Y is a huge success. To try to keep up with the demand, they decided the first vehicles to come from the new Giga Texas factory would be to build Model Y's. They have the potential to build thousands of them every day once they get to full speed. Basically a bird in the hand thing. Selling an existing car in higher volume puts cash on the books.

5. Lastly, their Perfectionism got in the way. They could've been less ambitious and put out a truck with a heavier traditional (not casted) frame and their existing batteries. The range would be lower, but to me, that's not a big deal for a pickup. It would've been just as functional, and they could've released improved models in subsequent model years.

I only get about 200 miles on my Mach-e. That's plenty. I normally end each day with almost as much power as I did when I started the day.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
The plant to produce the body metal isn't finished.
Stainless is still an expensive material.
Not sure what will happen in crash tests yet.

Elon said it was currently unable to get enough parts for the truck and build it at completive costs.
They are willing to produce a $70K Model Y for you in a few months time. Profit?

jazzmanmonty

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Corsair
Occupation
self employeed
Speaking of model Y, I almost bought it last Feb when they did a price cut. Was 6 weeks delivery time if I recall correctly. I backed out and of course it's $10k more now and 7 months wait. Mixed feelings about it but kinda pissed cuz I could have driven if til my pro comes and not lost a penny/potentially profited.

Wow, we are way off topic. Hope things worked out for the OG poster.

Ford F-150 Lightning Reserved within first 15 minutes, but dealer just told me I won't get a Lightning until 2023. Screenshot_20210222-220814_Slickdeals

Sponsored

Jerry The Cowboy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning on order
Occupation
High End Home Electronics
Didn't you hear? Cybertruck delayed AGAIN for another year! Reason? Not anything mechanical or design flaws.. they just don't want to add another vehicle to their lineup.. I have buddies waiting since day one for the Cybertruck and i see nothing but disappointment on their face every time its delayed. I'll be bored with my lightning and probably be trading it in for a Silverado and they'll still be waiting.. Ya, Tesla's transparent, but i'll be driving in my Lightning next time Elon announces the next "delay."
You are obviously one of the very few that are lucky to receive your truck in timely manner. Either you are just lucky or you have connections. Either way it just further illuminates the corrupt and broken legacy dealer network system in place. The positive about Tesla is they won't lie to you and screw you over as far as your reservation, you will get your order based on when you placed the order at the indicated price and not based on croney dishonest sleezebag Ford dealers handing out the minimal and insufficient allotments to their buddies ahead of first in line reservation holders.

two wheels

First Name
ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, Ford Escape, Honda Accord
Just like engine costs have came down in the past 20 years..
Engine cost? Not sure it what respect, but regarding fuel efficiency, then yes. Just like engine fuel efficiency cost. Gas engine storage is just a matter of a larger gas tank, but gas engines are more efficient because of technology, just like battery and EV motor technology will be reflected in efficiency and battery storage over time.

jazzmanmonty

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Corsair
Occupation
self employeed
You are obviously one of the very few that are lucky to receive your truck in timely manner. Either you are just lucky or you have connections. Either way it just further illuminates the corrupt and broken legacy dealer network system in place. The positive about Tesla is they won't lie to you and screw you over as far as your reservation, you will get your order based on when you placed the order at the indicated price and not based on croney dishonest sleezebag Ford dealers handing out the minimal and insufficient allotments to their buddies ahead of first in line reservation holders.
I got mine because my dealer didn't prioritize their list by Dec. 17th, so I got first wave by timestamp based on orders at my dealership...but I do agree about dealerships playing the system to their advantage..it's b.s. Now I'm not saying that just because you work for Ford, you shouldn't get one, but employees shouldn't be able to prioritize themselves over others, esp if they reserved a month after. That's just b.s.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Sorry, not true. Tesla has been thoroughly screwing reservation holders and changing the deal on existing orders. I am on my third Tesla - they were initially great, but their direct-to-consumer model is now completely busted - take-it-or-leave-it attitude, arbitrary pricing, mid-stream deal changes, and zero communication. I could tell you a couple stories that would change your mind about direct-to-consumer and dealer vs manufacturer pricing. And service? Beyond awful. OTOH, it has been great with the large local Delray Beach dealer who sold me my '21 Ford KR PB, and I've always had great buying and service experiences with the tiny Ford dealer we do business with for our farm in Virginia.

Jerry The Cowboy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning on order
Occupation
High End Home Electronics
Sorry, not true. Tesla has been thoroughly screwing reservation holders and changing the deal on existing orders. I am on my third Tesla - they were initially great, but their direct-to-consumer model is now completely busted - take-it-or-leave-it attitude, arbitrary pricing, mid-stream deal changes, and zero communication. I could tell you a couple stories that would change your mind about direct-to-consumer and dealer vs manufacturer pricing. And service? Beyond awful. OTOH, it has been great with the large local Delray Beach dealer who sold me my '21 Ford KR PB, and I've always had great buying and service experiences with the tiny Ford dealer we do business with for our farm in Virginia.
I understand and I have had my share of frustrations with Tesla. But they have never outright lied to me or tried to deceive me. I think their issues are more with bad communication and not providing realistic expectations. Overall my experience has been good with them and I LOVE Tesla cars. I think there is a sincerity and integrity that is baked into their company culture and I think the exact opposite is true of the legacy auto industry
Sponsored