• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Reservation holders only event?

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
New bit of details that I discovered today is that the charging ports are on both sides.

Uhhh...no. It has been covered extensively that one side is a fake for symmetry
Sponsored

kdkool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Lightning / 2023 6.7L Lariat F-350
Uhhh...no. It has been covered extensively that one side is a fake for symmetry
Yes, the Ford rep I talked to at the even said that the ports are on both sides to facilitate easier charging for fast charging stations. Maybe he knows something we don't? The prototypes I saw had nothing on the passenger side. It'd be smart if they plan on implementing it though for the production model. It'd really ease up on the charging station infrastructure / layouts considering the size of the vehicle with the addition of a trailer.

corradoborg

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Tacoma S-Runner; F-150 Lightning order
Occupation
Corporate Physical Security Manager
Yes, the Ford rep I talked to at the even said that the ports are on both sides to facilitate easier charging for fast charging stations. Maybe he knows something we don't? The prototypes I saw had nothing on the passenger side. It'd be smart if they plan on implementing it though for the production model. It'd really ease up on the charging station infrastructure / layouts considering the size of the vehicle with the addition of a trailer.
I think it more likely that we know something the Ford rep doesn't. Adding a second charge port would add extra cost in parts, design, and labor building trucks. Costs that they don't need to spend in order to sell this truck out. While I agree it would be nice to be able to pull into a charging station on either side, I don't think Ford is going to give that to us for free.

The only way I see them doing that is if there had been a big public uproar when they originally announced that the right-side panel was decorative, and reservations had done poorly. There was not an outcry and reservations certainly haven't slumped.

I asked if your information was just about the Pro model earlier because that's the only use case where I can imagine it might be worth their while. Fleet users may very well want dual ports so they can park trucks on both sides of a central charging island, or something.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
4616FB14-57C0-469E-AF6B-CD5A3E8FE2C8.jpeg

We got ride alongs. Rain and all.
What was your impression? Especially comparing to F150 you own (ride, comfort)?

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
I think it more likely that we know something the Ford rep doesn't. Adding a second charge port would add extra cost in parts, design, and labor building trucks. Costs that they don't need to spend in order to sell this truck out. While I agree it would be nice to be able to pull into a charging station on either side, I don't think Ford is going to give that to us for free.

The only way I see them doing that is if there had been a big public uproar when they originally announced that the right-side panel was decorative, and reservations had done poorly. There was not an outcry and reservations certainly haven't slumped.

I asked if your information was just about the Pro model earlier because that's the only use case where I can imagine it might be worth their while. Fleet users may very well want dual ports so they can park trucks on both sides of a central charging island, or something.
I can't see Ford have a charge port on both sides because some dumb ass would try plugging a charger on both sides at the same time, and then what? Ford would have to make it idiot proof

Sponsored

Sun Devil

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Ford Explorer, 2014 Honda Odyssey, 2007 Lexus
Dreams do come true! For those in the Phoenix area, check your email. There will be an event in Avondale to view the Lightning. Strangely, the invitation doesn't include the day. I was able to pick the time, but I have no idea what day. If anyone knows, please tell me. I know I will get a reminder one day before the event, but it would be nice to know now. (I didn't receive a confirmation email yet with my registration. Hopefully that will change.)

Ford F-150 Lightning Reservation holders only event? Lightning Event

Ford4Life2319

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer
Dreams do come true! For those in the Phoenix area, check your email. There will be an event in Avondale to view the Lightning. Strangely, the invitation doesn't include the day. I was able to pick the time, but I have no idea what day. If anyone knows, please tell me. I know I will get a reminder one day before the event, but it would be nice to know now. (I didn't receive a confirmation email yet with my registration. Hopefully that will change.)

Lightning Event.png
You should get a confirmation e-mail within 24 hours so don't worry. I am going to the Chicago one in August 26th.

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning preorder
Occupation
Network Security Engineer

Lightning Event.png
I was able to register for this as well, and was concerned something on my end stripped the date. Glad it wasn't just me.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I can't see Ford have a charge port on both sides because some dumb ass would try plugging a charger on both sides at the same time, and then what? Ford would have to make it idiot proof
It wouldn't be hard to have the vehicle software only activate the one that is plugged in first.

Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
I seriously doubt they have charge ports on both sides since it is really unnecessary, but I do have questions...why have a fake port on the other side for 'symmetry'? Are they putting fake gas caps on ICE trucks now? Why not? Also, wouldn't the standard F-150 fender without a fake charge port actually be cheaper to produce than one with a fake port?

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I seriously doubt they have charge ports on both sides since it is really unnecessary, but I do have questions...why have a fake port on the other side for 'symmetry'? Are they putting fake gas caps on ICE trucks now? Why not? Also, wouldn't the standard F-150 fender without a fake charge port actually be cheaper to produce than one with a fake port?
They have fender badges on both sides of ICE trucks. Same difference for having a fake door on the passenger side.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
It's possible to idiot proof a dual port setup. The Porsche Taycan and Audi e-tron have dual charging ports. One is J1772 only and the other is a full CCS1 port. The charge port covers are motorized and you can only open one port at a time. A youtuber managed to get both doors open on a Taycan. A second layer of redundancy caused both ports to become disabled.

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning preorder
Occupation
Network Security Engineer

Lightning Event.png
I received a follow-up email today. Looks like it's 1-SEP-21 at PIR. Looking forward to it!
Sponsored