Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Admin
According to the insider source, the 2022 F-150 Raptor will have TWO engine options:
  • Powerboost H.O. (high output) Twin Turbo V6 Hybrid
  • Limited Edition 5.2L supercharged V8 with over 700 horsepower (from 2020 Shelby GT500)

Starting at 4:30 mark

ICYMI, watch our video of the first sighting of the 2022 F-150 Raptor prototype in this thread (copied below).

Sponsored

Striker Hawk

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
Given that a 2020 fully loaded 802A Raptor with all the extras stickers out at just over 76k, a comparable $100k TRX price point almost guarantees that Ford's V8 option will come in somewhere between $85k to perhaps $92k, giving them a huge profit incentive to include the V8 in the first place, and a marketing campaign that says "Look how much cheaper we are than the competition". SO glad I didn't wait another 2 years for this.

Seriously, the aspect of these trucks that will determine which is the better off-road truck isn't going to be who has the best 0-60 time on the drag strip, it's going to be who can blast across the desert at the highest rate of speed without ripping the suspension out from under the truck, and this is a game that Ford should continue to win for as long as they can keep Ram away from FOX.

Last edited:

MaierWerx

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor
Occupation
Business Owner
If Ford is going to offer the 2021 Raptor with their supercharged 5.2L Predator V8 from the Shelby GT500 (making 760 HP), wouldn't it make obvious sense to also offer Ford’s 5.2L Predator V8 from the Shelby GT350R (making 527 HP) as the base model to keep the price down (and everybody happy with a V8)?

executor485

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Explorer Platinum
Posterity post here - I haven't seen anyone claim this idea yet (doesn't mean they haven't, just that I haven't seen it)

Facts:
  • The Raptor is the best factory off road truck, it's the baseline and standard across the board
  • Ford is pushing for a lot more CAFE standards in their lineup, dropped the cars, and has more SUVs. That means they still need to keep to the CAFE garbage and the Raptor produces too many models to escape being counted
  • They are testing new trucks, and the one everyone keeps seeing has some aspects of Raptor look, but there are definite missing parts too
  • Off road does not equal the need for a giant engine - contrary to marketing
  • The new "all electric" plant video had a Raptor in the background of the 2021 F150 rolling out AND at the stage they had a lightning just sitting there

Sooooooooo... Without ANY insider knowledge or actual data to support my theory. I think Ford has a much stronger chance to surprise us with a new Lightning with the Shelby engine as opposed to changing up the Raptor game. Yeah, everyone loves faster and faster, bigger motor, etc. But Ford is also really good at targeting the market and tailoring their vehicles. Heavier engine up front just adds to an unbalanced ride, add in terrain, and inexperienced drivers... Bad rap for all the people wrecking them left and right. Plop that engine in a purpose built road machine (wider stance, proper shocks, and brakes...) I think it's a recipe for grabbing the speed audience. Who knows, but I'll go out on that limb and make my prediction.

Sponsored

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
If Ford is going to offer the 2021 Raptor with their supercharged 5.2L Predator V8 from the Shelby GT500 (making 760 HP), wouldn't it make obvious sense to also offer Ford’s 5.2L Predator V8 from the Shelby GT350R (making 527 HP) as the base model to keep the price down (and everybody happy with a V8)?
The Voodoo engine out of the GT350 is not well matched to truck applications. Being a Flat Plane Crank engine it has a very high rev limit, and you have to wind it up to get that max 527 HP, and the torque curve does not match what truck engines do well, and what truck buyers are looking for.

18Voodoo

First Name
Hunter Locks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Shelby GT350
I'm still questioning why Ford would limit the supercharged 5.2L option and not considering a naturally aspirated V8 option (specifically for the Raptor). Meanwhile the TRX will be mass-produced with the supercharged 6.2L. Ram is planning on adding a naturally aspirated V8 option to the TRX as well.
Sponsored