Removing the tailgate

rjpicucci

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew XL
So I'm trying to add the tailgate damper (the one that fits inside the tail light) and I ran across an issue. When removing the tailgate, I got the big harness connector undone but there's a second one and I'm not sure how to disconnect without damaging anything. I did take that grey tape off after and still have no clue. Has anyone done this that can explain the procedure?

thanks
Ford F-150 Removing the tailgate IMG_0614
Sponsored

Regular Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Regular Cab, Short Bed
So I'm trying to add the tailgate damper (the one that fits inside the tail light) and I ran across an issue. When removing the tailgate, I got the big harness connector undone but there's a second one and I'm not sure how to disconnect without damaging anything. I did take that grey tape off after and still have no clue. Has anyone done this that can explain the procedure?

thanks
IMG_0614.png
I'm wondering the same thing. Did you figure it out?

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
Do you have to remove the tailgate at all?

Ford F-150 Removing the tailgate 332946C9-8F45-4306-B765-B75D4A281A48

OP
OP

rjpicucci

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew XL
The damper above is actually inside the taillight and you have to replace the existing hinge so yes, you have to remove the tailgate.

I installed the taillight one. It's a tab you press if I remember correctly. It took me a few minutes to figure it out. It either pushes or pulls, I forget which but there's a tab on it you need to move before you can detach.

If you have trouble figuring it out, let me know and I'll crawl under there tomorrow and figure it out again. I think it might even be on the yellow side of it. I remember that it's definitely, not on that wire side with the white tab. I thought that would be it but it wasn't. I removed that gray tape, and somehow found it.
Sponsored

Last edited: