Sponsored

Removed Sun Visor Sticker, how to remove residue?

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Outstanding job there! Thanks for the update and information about your experience.

Especially the pic!
Sponsored

Mouse51180

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat Hybrid
Occupation
Network Engineer
Update: Successfully removed the sticker residue. I am beyond pleased with how well it turned out. The key ingredients were: heat, goo gone, and patience....
I'm curious of the Goo Gone you used. I see they make an automotive Goo Gone both in a spray and a non-spray bottle (https://googone.com/automotive) or did you just use normal original formula Goo Gone?

OP
OP
somecatchyphrase

somecatchyphrase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150, 2023 Audi Etron Quattro
Occupation
Doer of stuff and things.

Mouse51180

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat Hybrid
Occupation
Network Engineer
Goo Gone Adhesive Remover Spray... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PVBD58K?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Standard goo gone spray.
Asked Goo Gone what the difference between original formula and automotive was....I got this reply:

" Thank you for contacting us Michael. The formula of original Goo Gone and Goo Gone Automotive are the same, the label is packaged this way for marketing purposes."
and we don't understand why we can't trust anyone anymore. B.S. marketing strategies. Im sure if I had the desire I could find them priced differently as well.

Mouse51180

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat Hybrid
Occupation
Network Engineer
Update: Successfully removed the sticker residue. I am beyond pleased with how well it turned out. The key ingredients were: heat, goo gone, and patience. More specifically: I spent several minutes heating the remaining residue with a hair dryer, making it hot to the touch. Then I liberally sprayed on goo-gone, let it sit for a minute or two, and then reheated the residue with the goo gone still on it. Finally I added some goo gone to a microfiber towel wrapped around my finger tip and went to work. I found that light pressure combined with speed and liberal reapplication of goo gone on the microfiber to work best. An interesting note is that it seemed I could scrub indefinitely coming from one particular angle (side to side for example) and nothing would remove, but if I attacked that same spot from a different angle, such as up and down or at a 45 the residue would come off. I finished up by wiping down with water on a damp microfiber and drying the visor on a medium heat setting.
PXL_20230130_180554774.jpg

I must add that a single sticker took me about 1 hour from start to finish. Whether or not all of my steps and fastidiousness were needed to get the end result I am unsure, but I am at least very happy that my time investment paid off.
Did you find that the visor absorbed any of the Goo Gone? You mentioned you "liberally sprayed on goo-gone"...
Im just wanting to make sure your definition and mine of "liberally" is the same amount. Last thing I want to do is turn this into a Goo Gone sponge.

Sponsored

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
I got one done. Pita.

Anyway don’t use a steamer or you will warp the styrofoam inside it (literally like a squeaking $2 cooler natty ice styrofoam).

I got mine cleaned up, and cleaned the goo gone residue off; and decided I would steam it to get that fresh looking fabric. Then I had a drooping area as the stream took some of the rigidness out of the foam.

Luckily I was able to pop out the mirror, and add some adhesive backed Velcro to the back of the mirror and the drooping foam and get it back to normal (minus the decals). It looks great but I caused myself some extra work.

OP
OP
somecatchyphrase

somecatchyphrase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150, 2023 Audi Etron Quattro
Occupation
Doer of stuff and things.
Did you find that the visor absorbed any of the Goo Gone? You mentioned you "liberally sprayed on goo-gone"...
Im just wanting to make sure your definition and mine of "liberally" is the same amount. Last thing I want to do is turn this into a Goo Gone sponge.
I was trying to be cognizant of the material underneath as I had heard of other forum members issues with the cardboard/styrofoam. I suppose a more descriptive way was that I used a liberal amount of goo gone over time/several applications. As in, spray, let sit, wipe with goo gone cloth, heat, wipe again with goo gone cloth, repeat. I also did about 1/4 of the sticker area at a time.
Sponsored