Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...
Absolutely. I’m not making light of their situation because I have people in my life who are very sensitive to chemical smells/vapors. OPs concerns are real and valid. On the other hand, my wife’s 2019 still has the ‘new car smell’ 3 years later and mine is still quite potent.
Sponsored

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Hey there,

I took possession yesterday. First new vehicle. My god the "new car smell" (off-gassing) gives me a terrible headache. I feel nauseated after 5-10 mins in the truck. Is there a way to speed up the process other than cracking the windows as much as I can?

Thanks!
If you gas off that should over power the off gassing smell.

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
I always look forward to reading something different on the Ford F150 forums. Never have I ever heard of anyone complain about new car smell.....never, but here we are. :D

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
my truck smelled like korean kimshi bbq pork rinds after i left the doctors this morning ,i left a surprise in truck as i got out.. i almost died laughing when i came out and opened the door and that hit me

took about 2 blocks of windows down to remove the new offending odor

• Haha
Reactions: 780

Sponsored

OP
OP
Oakstone

Oakstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB XLT 302A
I always look forward to reading something different on the Ford F150 forums. Never have I ever heard of anyone complain about new car smell.....never, but here we are. :D
Haha yeah it's always bothered me. I guess I'm just sensitive to off gassing. I've had the same reaction to new foam mattresses etc. and had to leave them far away for a week or two, otherwise it's headache city for me. After a few days with it, I'm getting used to the truck.

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
If you can bottle it up I’ll take it! I miss my new car smell. Never gave me any issues though. Interesting how it effects people differently.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Haha yeah it's always bothered me. I guess I'm just sensitive to off gassing. I've had the same reaction to new foam mattresses etc. and had to leave them far away for a week or two, otherwise it's headache city for me. After a few days with it, I'm getting used to the truck.

Get one of these cabin filters from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GY4G84P

It's pretty good at quickly pulling out various odors including diesel exhaust fumes and elderly dog farts. Trust me on the second one.. :sick: Ahem..

Anyway I put on in the F150 and it cut the new car smell down considerably. I have a very sensitive nose to odors and fragrances and after 2400 miles, it's still there but can just barely detect when first getting in it if the truck has been parked all day in the sun.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oakstone

Oakstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB XLT 302A
Get one of these cabin filters from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GY4G84P

It's pretty good at quickly pulling out various odors including diesel exhaust fumes and elderly dog farts. Trust me on the second one.. :sick: Ahem..

Anyway I put on in the F150 and it cut the new car smell down considerably. I have a very sensitive nose to odors and fragrances and after 2400 miles, it's still there but can just barely detect when first getting in it if the truck has been parked all day in the sun.
Thanks for the the tip!

Sponsored

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
This goes in first thing.

Ford F-150 Remove New Car Smell? Dragon.JPG

Nomis

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat FX4 w/ 5.0
Not to make light of the OP's situation or look down at him. I found myself thinking the other day: gee, if they shipped my truck when it was done instead of waiting three months I'd have a much stronger new car smell. I love it, but I can understand if it's overpowering to some
I like it too. But this is my first new truck in 8 years so there is novelty to it as well. Initially it was very overpowering because I bought it less than a month after it was built, but it has subsided a bit now.

johnhbrandon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat, 3.5 Ecoboost, 4X4
Occupation
IT Manager
I just answered a question in another thread about stale cabin air due to the A/C system defaulting to recirculate and by running on outside air, the mildew smell will dissipate in time. In a brand new vehicle when all the plastics, vinyl, rubber, leather, carpet dyes, paints and other solvents are mixed together, it can become overwhelming. Even my CPO 2022 Lariat still has a fairly noticeable mixture and I've had dogs, pizzas, Chinese food, road trip snacks (the kind that fall under the seats), and other "foreign" contaminants in my truck since I bought it. The "new car" smell ain't what it used to be.