First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
I have 160k on my 2016 Ecoboost ... engine was fine all the way through 100k but I have had several issues beyond 100k that I believe individually are all fairly common, but I've been unlucky in seeming to have them all ☹ Take together I think the failures are excessive, but I really like the engine despite these failures - I've got a 2021 Hybrid Powerboost on order!

- 122k Exhaust Manifold studs, found multiple broken ($2800)
- 133k Crankcase Pressure Sensor ($200)
- 140k Oil leaking from Timing Chain Cover, in fixing it I also took opportunity to change timing chains, tensioners, solenoids, guides etc. ($2,700)
- 148k Turbocharger housing cracked, leaking oil, replaced ($1,700)

The only other item I'd call out is Ford's crappy vacuum operated 4WD hub design - in and out of warranty, I've replaced 6 hubs on total in 160k miles and one or both are in process of failing again - all of which is completely unacceptable. Hopefully this has been addressed on the Gen 14 models.

Lesson learned is that if you expect to go much beyond 100k, the Ford Extended Warranty is probably good insurance? Looking forward, I would expect the engine to be reliable well past 200k, since common issues have already happened and the fixes and maintenance address the known problem areas - with exception of potentially needing to replace the other turbocharger.

YMMV!
Are those vacuum operated hubs (IWE I think is what everyone refers to them as) covered under the 5 yr/ 60k mile powertrain warranty, or just the 3 yr 36k mile bumper to bumper warranty? Thanks for all the info.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I’ve heard this chain issue has been addressed in newer revisions, but I’m not sure if that has been the case in real world use.
I drove a 2021 lariat last night at the dealership 3.5 eco-boost. Damn that thing was fast
Any more insight on your Lariat test drive? I have one with the 3.5 EcoBoost on order. How does it compare to the 2020 3.5L?

Your post just makes me want to hear something, ANYTHING about mine even more!!

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
Any more insight on your Lariat test drive? I have one with the 3.5 EcoBoost on order. How does it compare to the 2020 3.5L?

Your post just makes me want to hear something, ANYTHING about mine even more!!
It was pleasant to drive, very smooth, and have plenty of power. Unfortunately I can’t compare it to the 2020 all that much, because the last F150 I had was a 2018 3.0 power stroke.

Sponsored

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum, '15 Audi S4, Spec Iron Mustang
Are those vacuum operated hubs (IWE I think is what everyone refers to them as) covered under the 5 yr/ 60k mile powertrain warranty, or just the 3 yr 36k mile bumper to bumper warranty? Thanks for all the info.
Not sure as I had the Ford Extended Service Plan which covered them through 100k. But checking this source (for my 2016) it seems the powertrain warranty would cover this?

Ford Warranty Guide

From Page 10 of this guide (bold is mine)

(1) Your vehicle’s Powertrain components are covered for five years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The extended coverage applies to the Engine: all internal lubricated parts, cylinder block, cylinder heads, electrical fuel pump, powertrain control module, engine mounts, flywheel, injection pump, manifold (exhaust and intake), manifold bolts, oil pan, oil pump, seals and gaskets, engine thermostat, engine thermostat housing, timing chain cover, timing chain (gears or belt), turbocharger/supercharger unit, valve covers, water pump; Transmission: all internal parts, clutch cover, seals and gaskets, torque converter, transfer case (including all internal parts), transmission case, transmission mounts; Front-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, front bearings, seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints; Rear-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, rear bearings, center support bearing, drive axle housing (including all internal parts), drive shaft, retainers, supports, seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints. Four-Wheel/All-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, bearings (front and rear), center support bearing, drive shafts, final drive housing (including all internal parts), hubs-automatic front locking (four-wheel drive), locking rings (four-wheel drive), seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
Not sure as I had the Ford Extended Service Plan which covered them through 100k. But checking this source (for my 2016) it seems the powertrain warranty would cover this?

Ford Warranty Guide

From Page 10 of this guide (bold is mine)

(1) Your vehicle’s Powertrain components are covered for five years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The extended coverage applies to the Engine: all internal lubricated parts, cylinder block, cylinder heads, electrical fuel pump, powertrain control module, engine mounts, flywheel, injection pump, manifold (exhaust and intake), manifold bolts, oil pan, oil pump, seals and gaskets, engine thermostat, engine thermostat housing, timing chain cover, timing chain (gears or belt), turbocharger/supercharger unit, valve covers, water pump; Transmission: all internal parts, clutch cover, seals and gaskets, torque converter, transfer case (including all internal parts), transmission case, transmission mounts; Front-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, front bearings, seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints; Rear-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, rear bearings, center support bearing, drive axle housing (including all internal parts), drive shaft, retainers, supports, seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints. Four-Wheel/All-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, bearings (front and rear), center support bearing, drive shafts, final drive housing (including all internal parts), hubs-automatic front locking (four-wheel drive), locking rings (four-wheel drive), seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints.
I think the last section of bold seals the deal. Thanks for the info.

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
2013 with 106000 miles I had a cooling system issue, new turbo cooling hoses, Water pump, and heater core. Covered under Ford ESP. Otherwise it’s been bullet proof!

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
From all my own reading, the 2.7 Ecoboost would be my choice had I not gone with the V8. It’s a very impressive engine and if internet bitch sessions about reliability is anything to be measured by, it seems to have less problems than the 3.5 despite also being a turbo V6.

Sponsored

jfdube999

First Name
Jean-Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum 4x4 FX4, 2020 Edge Titanium, 2019 Escape Ti, 2019 Mustang GT PP2

FWIW of course

Jerry Can

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR Powerboost, 2-tone Rapid Red, 157”
Occupation
Fuel Container
it seems to have less problems than the 3.5 despite also being a turbo V6.
I wonder if that’s at all related to the 2.7L having a compacted graphite iron block, while the 3.5L is aluminum.

My 2015 Lariat had the 2.7, and the only issue I had after 5 years was random acceleration problems which became a serious safety concern. After replacing the intake air sensors and slapping on a BBK performance throttle body, the issue was resolved and the engine felt better than new. The performance throttle body also added a pretty nice turbo whistle.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
The infamous IWE has been changed on our 2021's. They no longer are vacuum activated, but rather have a DC stepper motor to engage/disengage.
So we are the testers of the new design. (after decades of IWE issues)

Also note when discussing generations of the 3.5 Ecoboost

Gen 1 2011-2016 Direct Injection
Gen 2 2017 - 2020** today Direct Injection & Port injection

Although our 2021 might actually be designated a "Gen3". The debate is on. Some motor gurus are calling it Gen3 because of significant changes they believe will be seen when the encryption is tackled, as well as things like the egr cooler and cooling loop changes etc.

There's a motor builder already torn down a motor and is doing due diligence on discovering the changes.

I personally believe it will be officially a Gen3, but I'm no expert.
Sponsored