First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
Got wind today my 3.0 diesel is going to take a while, and may even only be available around the same time the tremor drops.

Can anyway speak to the reliability of the eco boost gen 3, specifically 60k miles and above? The next truck I purchase, I plan to drive for a very long time. Would love to not regret passing up on the diesel. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Nlitend1

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 502 3.5 6.5crew
Occupation
Contractor
I have 70k on my 17 3.5 been fine except for cam phasers that were replaced and are now noisy again, 10000miles later.
It has never let me down. Time will be the real test on the 21.

bam2880

First Name
brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 f150
Do you have the cold start rattle?

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I have 56k miles on my 2017 EB and have had zero issues with anything on it, only have done everything in the prepaid maintenance schedule every 7.5k miles. I have only replaced 2 tires as one had a slow leak puncture in the inpatchable area. (nothing to do with the EB)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I have 56k miles on my 2017 EB and have had zero issues with anything on it, only have done everything in the prepaid maintenance schedule every 7.5k miles. I have only replaced 2 tires as one had a slow leak puncture in the inpatchable area. (nothing to do with the EB)
I’m curious, is your EB the one with single fuel injection or dual?

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum, '15 Audi S4, Spec Iron Mustang
I have 160k on my 2016 Ecoboost ... engine was fine all the way through 100k but I have had several issues beyond 100k that I believe individually are all fairly common, but I've been unlucky in seeming to have them all ☹ Take together I think the failures are excessive, but I really like the engine despite these failures - I've got a 2021 Hybrid Powerboost on order!

- 122k Exhaust Manifold studs, found multiple broken ($2800)
- 133k Crankcase Pressure Sensor ($200)
- 140k Oil leaking from Timing Chain Cover, in fixing it I also took opportunity to change timing chains, tensioners, solenoids, guides etc. ($2,700)
- 148k Turbocharger housing cracked, leaking oil, replaced ($1,700)

The only other item I'd call out is Ford's crappy vacuum operated 4WD hub design - in and out of warranty, I've replaced 6 hubs on total in 160k miles and one or both are in process of failing again - all of which is completely unacceptable. Hopefully this has been addressed on the Gen 14 models.

Lesson learned is that if you expect to go much beyond 100k, the Ford Extended Warranty is probably good insurance? Looking forward, I would expect the engine to be reliable well past 200k, since common issues have already happened and the fixes and maintenance address the known problem areas - with exception of potentially needing to replace the other turbocharger.

YMMV!

E28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Fleet
Occupation
Construction
Our fleet has a 535000km ecoboost that has had no major problems. We had a 190000km 17 ecoboost no engine problems at all(did plugs and a tune at around 120). For me a major problem is something over 2k.

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I have 160k on my 2016 Ecoboost ... engine was fine all the way through 100k but I have had several issues beyond 100k that I believe individually are all fairly common, but I've been unlucky in seeming to have them all ☹ Take together I think the failures are excessive, but I really like the engine despite these failures - I've got a 2021 Hybrid Powerboost on order!

- 122k Exhaust Manifold studs, found multiple broken ($2800)
- 133k Crankcase Pressure Sensor ($200)
- 140k Oil leaking from Timing Chain Cover, in fixing it I also took opportunity to change timing chains, tensioners, solenoids, guides etc. ($2,700)
- 148k Turbocharger housing cracked, leaking oil, replaced ($1,700)

The only other item I'd call out is Ford's crappy vacuum operated 4WD hub design - in and out of warranty, I've replaced 6 hubs on total in 160k miles and one or both are in process of failing again - all of which is completely unacceptable. Hopefully this has been addressed on the Gen 14 models.

Lesson learned is that if you expect to go much beyond 100k, the Ford Extended Warranty is probably good insurance? Looking forward, I would expect the engine to be reliable well past 200k, since common issues have already happened and the fixes and maintenance address the known problem areas - with exception of potentially needing to replace the other turbocharger.

YMMV!
These are some of the things I fear tbh. I heard the gen 4 has revisions to address multiple things, but if they actually last remains to be seen. Mine had the carbon build up and misfires. It’s was my reason for going 3.0 diesel, which doesn’t have any issues to be found l (yet). The 8yr 150k warranty looks pretty darn good regardless of whatever engine choice.

TNKIRK

First Name
TERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 FORD F150 LARIAT SUPERCAB
Occupation
R V SALES
Got wind today my 3.0 diesel is going to take a while, and may even only be available around the same time the tremor drops.

Can anyway speak to the reliability of the eco boost gen 3, specifically 60k miles and above? The next truck I purchase, I plan to drive for a very long time. Would love to not regret passing up on the diesel. Thanks in advance!
2015 Explorer Sport...69k miles.........2013 F150 Fx4...51K miles.........ZERO Incidents.....Drive em like I stole em

Sponsored

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum, '15 Audi S4, Spec Iron Mustang
These are some of the things I fear tbh. I heard the gen 4 has revisions to address multiple things, but if they actually last remains to be seen. Mine had the carbon build up and misfires. It’s was my reason for going 3.0 diesel, which doesn’t have any issues to be found l (yet). The 8yr 150k warranty looks pretty darn good regardless of whatever engine choice.
Some more perspective:

Exhaust Manifold Studs - I'd regard as a design defect pretty much guaranteed to fail, cast iron manifold vs. aluminum block (different coefficient of expansion) with high heat from turbos ... no surprise the studs gave up and snapped (this leads to a rattly whistling sound off idle) but disappointing Ford didn't spec studs strong enough to avoid this. No idea if this has been fixed since my 2016?

Timing Chain Cover - annoying at 140k, but at 150k most of this work would have been done (along with belts) as preventative maintenance anyway, so maybe not so bad?

Turbocharger failure - at 148k this was a bit early, but obvious stress point and I'd be surprised if the other lasts past 200k, so again, maybe "normal"

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
2013 Eco Boost, 104,000. Cooling issues last winter. Otherwise bullet proof!

lcrain

First Name
Lawson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150, '95 911 c2, '97 miata, '98 M3/4/5
I have a '13 EB with 113k miles. It has been quite reliable, has not let me down once, and I put it through it's paces with mostly city driving and probably 25k miles towing. That said, it does have an intermittent cold start rattle. Based on what I have read, that is likely the timing chain/tensioner. Pretty pricey repair, but as it is intermittent and quiets down after that I have not addressed it.

I am leaning towards spec'ing my new '21 with the EB due to the additional torque over the 5.0.

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I have a '13 EB with 113k miles. It has been quite reliable, has not let me down once, and I put it through it's paces with mostly city driving and probably 25k miles towing. That said, it does have an intermittent cold start rattle. Based on what I have read, that is likely the timing chain/tensioner. Pretty pricey repair, but as it is intermittent and quiets down after that I have not addressed it.

I am leaning towards spec'ing my new '21 with the EB due to the additional torque over the 5.0.
I’ve heard this chain issue has been addressed in newer revisions, but I’m not sure if that has been the case in real world use.
I drove a 2021 lariat last night at the dealership 3.5 eco-boost. Damn that thing was fast
Sponsored