First Name
SM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F 150 XLT
Occupation
Home Builder
I have more of an annoyance than a regret. Love everything but the forced wireless Android Auto. Sometimes I get interference from other electronics, I guess, so most the time when I'm backing up in to my garage, the audio gets all choppy and I just got the power button while I'm backing up. Not really a huge issue and it's only happened to me once outside of backing in to my garage. Other than that, I love both F150s I've had for different reasons!
Hi there,
I have a really old (2010 F150 XLT) truck that barely has Bluetooth.. While I wait patiently for my 2022 Lariat..
I frequently get this interruption while I am getting in or out of my garage on my phone.. And it is because my phone is switching between 4G and the Wi-Fi in the house... Perhaps your issue is with that and not android wireless?

STM

First Name
SM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F 150 XLT
Occupation
Home Builder
That's why I chuckle every time I see the thread title "powerboost whining" and I feel like posting "what can you do; people are going to whine?" : )

I think there's several legit "lemon" vehicles we've seen here, but that's what forums create -- a place for people with real problems to find resources and other people with the same problem, so we have to expect a high ratio of people visiting with real, serious problems (e.g. "shifter broke off" … seems serious to me … I'm certainly treating the shifter very carefully now. : )

There's two problems with saying the PowerBoost is having "the most" issues or even a significantly higher than average number of issues.
1) it's a new model in a niche, low production numbers, lots of new systems/tech/parts, it just hasn't been on the road for enough units and miles, months and years to gather data
2) Ford would have to publish data on which problems in a PB are related to the PB and which are common to all F-150s

Note that the F-150 is a high reliability vehicle, but scores only "average" on quality (in terms of number of consumer reported defects) so you have to separate major failures due to defects (roadside breakdown) from quality (seat stitching is not straight.)

Personal note: I was advocating a friend buy a PowerBoost a few weeks ago (when you could find one to buy …) and I said "if Ford called up today and offered $1000 to buy my PowerBoost back if I'm not satisfied, I wouldn't take it." Other than wanting to update to the '22 with CCD, which is entirely a separate decision, I just can't imagine any vehicle (including the Lightning) convincing me to sell the PowerBoost. They're going to have to build a PowerBoost plug-in and then I'll be keen to update – for a fair price – but I'm guessing that's not a product they want to offer till they're selling the Lightning.​

The defects and user satisfaction complaints I've read about that are unique to the PB are few (e.g. throttle lag, battery connectors not fully seated) and the defects that are common to all F-150s include things like:
"worse than expected mpg"
"harsh transmission shifts"
"transmission overheats while towing"
"heat shield not fastened"
… all serious, but not relevant to the PowerBoost.

Nobody outside Ford can explain or quantify the full impact of the supply side logistics "chip shortage" impact on initial build quality or reliability. I'm sure it plays a part (e.g. no spare production to inventory parts for rapid field service turnaround) so some of the examples posted in this forum are exacerbated by "it's been weeks and they don't have a solution" … it's also hard to train field service techs without having parts and equipment and tools in a new model selling in relatively low numbers compared to the bread and butter, familiar ecoboost or coyote.

Even when Ford does a mass recall / service bulletin on that shaky shifter, it won't be for PowerBoost only. Unless we start hearing about battery fires or the motor melting itself into a lump of copper or onboard power glitches, I think the only "fact" is the PowerBoost has more parts and that means more points of failure resulting in more defects per 100,000 units. For example, to use simple numbers, if a typical F-150 has 100 parts and a PowerBoost has 110 parts, if the PB has less than 10% more defects, it's actually a more reliable vehicle even though the owner risk of a defect is higher. As they say, there's lies, damn lies and statistics … but this is a realistic depiction of the vehicle reliability.

Anyway, bottom line afaict, until there's a published number of verified defects in the PowerBoost drive train and onboard power accessory, per 100,000 units, compared to defects in all other F-150s, to say there are "more" or "most" is baseless.
I know this was written way back in last November but I am reading it just now.. While I wait for my PB...

This is a very thoughtfully written comment and makes a lot of sense! It is a pleasure to read posts like this..

parkerdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 UNICORN (rcsb XLT co-pilot 360 assist 2.0)
Occupation
Keeper of the DOG and running with scissors.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around where a power-boost is only $55,000?

I priced out my lowly single cab the other day on the build and price with the same options that I have and the sticker is now $50,900 something. Glad I ordered early.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I know this was written way back in last November but I am reading it just now.. While I wait for my PB...

This is a very thoughtfully written comment and makes a lot of sense! It is a pleasure to read posts like this..
Well, here we are six months later and I'm all the more confident in what I've written. I'm pleased to hear it was useful to you.
Sponsored