Regenerative Braking operations?

hardrivn

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Hybrid
At what point are the discs and pads engaged with regen braking? I was curious if on a long downhill decent is it safe to lightly ride your brakes to hold speed or are the pads always engaged with the discs even at light braking so you would probably overheat them and should still just use a lower gear? Also are you seeing significantly longer brake life because of Regenerative braking?
Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Go to the EV Coach on the My view screen. When the bar & text are both green, it is regenerative braking only. If the text goes white and you see white on the bar while braking, traditional brakes are being used.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Just to add (should have done it initially), I have a few places I've been where I've maxed out regenerative braking. Eventually, the battery is "fully charged" (~72% actual state of charge) and the truck will stop regenerative braking fully. At that point, if you're not almost stopped, the engine will come on and provide engine braking as well until you stop or the downhill ends and you start using battery. You'll know your close because the green bar will start shrinking in size. You get a brief recharge period just after the engine kicks back in, but that will be gone in ~100'.

BRDVPRA

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 2021 Explorer ST
Occupation
Yep
Just to add (should have done it initially), I have a few places I've been where I've maxed out regenerative braking. Eventually, the battery is "fully charged" (~72% actual state of charge) and the truck will stop regenerative braking fully. At that point, if you're not almost stopped, the engine will come on and provide engine braking as well until you stop or the downhill ends and you start using battery. You'll know your close because the green bar will start shrinking in size. You get a brief recharge period just after the engine kicks back in, but that will be gone in ~100'.
So do you know it's fully charged when the word Charge goes from green to white?

Sponsored

Thunderchief

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lariat Powerboost, 2021 Ford Edge
Occupation
Retired AF Fighter Pilot
So do you know it's fully charged when the word Charge goes from green to white?
I did not know that. Is the word "Charge" on the EV Coach display?

BRDVPRA

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 2021 Explorer ST
Occupation
Yep
I did not know that. Is the word "Charge" on the EV Coach display?
The word Charge sits right above the little bar showing the regenerative braking. I don't know that it turning to white means the battery is full or something else. I was asking really. It has to mean something.

Thunderchief

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lariat Powerboost, 2021 Ford Edge
Occupation
Retired AF Fighter Pilot
I have been watching my "Charge" since you brought it up and have seen nothing but green.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
So a flatlander might never see 7X% SOC?

I can't seem to get mine to reliably hit 60% driving the truck "normally".

Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
As stated above, only if the green has reduced to nothing while braking and/or coasting.

So a flatlander might never see 7X% SOC?

I can't seem to get mine to reliably hit 60% driving the truck "normally".
I think I've seen my truck recharge to over 60% once without braking, it usually stops recharging via the engine between 55-60% for me. It has been a while since I monitored it though. Getting it >65% I've only seen when braking for an extended period. Coasting barely produces a charge, so you'd need to coast at low speeds for miles and miles to get any appreciable charge.

jeepin95

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat Powerboost 502A
I only have a few hundred miles on my PB towing my small RV trailer, but I haven't been able to determine if the trailer brakes are activated when regen braking with the pedal. Does anyone know the answer to that for sure? The GVWR of our trailer is only 3500lbs so when I leave it in normal mode it will happily switch to EV only, even on flat ground. If I have a short downill can I ride the regen brake to charge up full, then let it continue in EV coming out the flat at the bottom. This seems like a good MPG boosting method as long as it isn't also riding the trailer brakes.
Sponsored