• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Regen braking on Lightning - paddles, single pedal or fixed/controlled coasting ?

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Does anyone know what type of regenerative braking the Lightning has ?

I have heard of different manufacturers having their design method of putting energy/charge back into the battery during coasting & braking.

• My Honda Clarity has a very light regen unless you use the paddles actively on the steering column.?
  • Friend's Chevy Bolt has the selectable "L" mode single pedal regen braking that will stop the car without touching the brake pedal.:eek:
  • Co-worker has the Tesla Y and her car has no adjustable settings but has serious regen braking when you take the foot off the accelerator. Feels like you are lurching forward everytime you take your foot off the "gas". Wonder if you can get car sick driving on congested bumper to bumper traffic ? :unsure: ?

As a benefit, all of these above methods of regenerating power back to the EV batteries will result in less brake pad wear...
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I would guess it will be like the Mach-e. You have a selector in the infotainment system to turn one pedal driving on and off (when it is on you get strong regen and it will bring the vehicle to a stop, off you will get very mild regen and more coasting). Using the brake pedal will use a blended system that will use regen braking until more stopping force is needed then friction brakes will be added in.

I also suspect that the driving modes will adjust the amount of "off pedal" regen you get like it doesn't in the Mach-e, but I am less sure on this since the driving modes are different.

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
I would guess it will be like the Mach-e. You have a selector in the infotainment system to turn one pedal driving on and off (when it is on you get strong regen and it will bring the vehicle to a stop, off you will get very mild regen and more coasting). Using the brake pedal will use a blended system that will use regen braking until more stopping force is needed then friction brakes will be added in.

I also suspect that the driving modes will adjust the amount of "off pedal" regen you get like it doesn't in the Mach-e, but I am less sure on this since the driving modes are different.
The mach-e regens when one-pedal drive is off?
The one I test drove I had in unbridled mode mostly with one-pedal, but when I turned one-pedal off it felt like it was just coasting in neutral as it went forever without slowing down.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
The one I test drove I had in unbridled mode mostly with one-pedal, but when I turned one-pedal off it felt like it was just coasting in neutral as it went forever without slowing down.
Very very little

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
If you are simply coasting, there is very little regen. Of course you don't regen then since you are still moving forward. It does regen when you break lightly and it does slow down.

Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Friend's Chevy Bolt has the selectable "L" mode single pedal regen braking that will stop the car without touching the brake pedal.
MME also has L button so if you want the car to slow down and don't want to futz through menu to get to 1P mode setting.

Diabolical!

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'11 F250, '17 Chevy Volt, '22 Lightning (Reserved)
My Volt has a regen paddle on the steering wheel in addition to normal regen when coasting/braking to a stop. I love having the regen paddle on the steering wheel for light braking in traffic. The only downside is that I am sometimes reaching for regen paddles that don't exist when driving other vehicles, lol.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
My Volt has a regen paddle on the steering wheel in addition to normal regen when coasting/braking to a stop. I love having the regen paddle on the steering wheel for light braking in traffic. The only downside is that I am sometimes reaching for regen paddles that don't exist when driving other vehicles, lol.
This would be great!

Does the ICE F-150 still have an overdrive off button on the shifter? I use that to induce engine braking on my Marauder and it would seem like a natural fit.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
My BMW has only one pedal choice but it also had a way to "feel" when the accelerator pedal was in a neutral point so one could coast. Also it had RWD.
My Chevy Bolt has a choice of little or great regen on pedal lift. It has FWD and can skid through a turn on slippery roads when using high regen or paddle. It also has a regen paddle.
Both have excellent brake function where the regen is the first or light brake part of the peddle. The real brakes show up if needed.

I'd like to see that sweet spot on accelerator pedal show up on Ford.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
The Mach E has two ways to increase regeneration:
choose different drive modes in One Pedal Drive
Select "L" when One Pedal Drive is off.

L has similar regeneration to Unbridled OPD but without braking to a stop.

The Lighting will have a very similar configuration. You can see the OPD option on the mode screens just like on the Mach E:
Ford F-150 Lightning Regen braking on Lightning - paddles, single pedal or fixed/controlled coasting ? IMG_8082

Ford F-150 Lightning Regen braking on Lightning - paddles, single pedal or fixed/controlled coasting ? IMG_8083

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
The next option down is Locking Differential...

Is that standard?

Diabolical!

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'11 F250, '17 Chevy Volt, '22 Lightning (Reserved)
The next option down is Locking Differential...
Damn, Son! Excellent catch! This has always been a must-have for me on my previous trucks so it's nice to know it will even be available.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager

Sharpster

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning XLT Carbonized Grey
Having driven a 5 speed stick for a long time, I always put my Soul-EV in B mode (max-regen, one pedal drive mode) and just feather the accelerator pedal to accelerate, coast, slow down. I rarely have to touch the brake pedal. The brake lights also smartly activate when actively slowing with one pedal drive, so I hope the Lightning will behave similarly. There is no whiplash effect as long as you finesse the accelerator pedal.

EVTruckGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
The Mach e has regen regardless of whether one pedal driving is on or off in all available driving modes.

The main difference is whether the regen is triggered by simply lifing your food off the pedal or when you apply the brakes.

I Whisper mode with one pedal driving off, the car will coast similar to a gas powered car in neutral. Minimal to no Regen is occuring. The cool part about the Mach E regen is that it is intelligently blended in when the driver applies the brakes. When the brake pedal is depressed, the car uses primarily regenerative braking to slow the car instead of the brake pads until the car either decelerates to speed where traditional braking is more effective than regenerative braking or until the driver applies more pressure on the brake pedal as if to tell the car you need to stop more quickly, which adds in the stopping power provided by the brake pads much more aggressively than a slow stop which can be completed with mostly regenerative braking.

The car controls the blending of the brakes automatically for the driver. As far as I can tell, the regenerative brakes are always on and working every time the brake pedal is depressed. I don't think any driving mode exists that would turn the regenerative braking off.
Sponsored