Tyler1986

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 FX4 302a 3.5L Oxford White
Hey Everyone,
Heading into my first Canadian winter with my F150 and all I've heard are snow/ice horror stories about the Hankook AT2's that come stock with the 20" sport rims.

I'm looking to see what you all would recommend for an All-Terrain/All-Weather tire that would be solid in winter and also not get chewed up in summer. I'd rather not have to buy a set of ACTUAL winter tires w/rims.

My 2005 F150 that I had before this truck had a set of Goodyear Wranglers (non-Duratracs) that seemed to do the trick in summer and winter. My company truck also has a set of studded Duratracs on it and i honestly feel like I slide a ton in them still.

So far, I'm leaning towards the Pirelli Scorpion All-Terrain Plus but would love some recommendations.

Thanks!
Sponsored

SumGuy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 (perpetually on order)
Occupation
Drugs
An all season is always going to be a compromise. For me, safety is worth the $1,000 for a set of blizzaks.

That said, I’ve found ko2s to be decent year round.

Last edited:

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bullitt, 2020 F-150
Occupation
Babylon 5 security
Hey Everyone,
Heading into my first Canadian winter with my F150 and all I've heard are snow/ice horror stories about the Hankook AT2's that come stock with the 20" sport rims.

I'm looking to see what you all would recommend for an All-Terrain/All-Weather tire that would be solid in winter and also not get chewed up in summer. I'd rather not have to buy a set of ACTUAL winter tires w/rims.

My 2005 F150 that I had before this truck had a set of Goodyear Wranglers (non-Duratracs) that seemed to do the trick in summer and winter. My company truck also has a set of studded Duratracs on it and i honestly feel like I slide a ton in them still.

So far, I'm leaning towards the Pirelli Scorpion All-Terrain Plus but would love some recommendations.

Thanks!
I have the factory 20" Wranglers on my 2020 XLT FX4, and I have to admit, they've done great in the hilly snow & ice of southwestern PA, and on the soft sands of the Outer Banks. Pleasantly surprised.

OP
OP
Tyler1986

Tyler1986

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for the reply! We’re getting our first snowfall of the year as we speak so I’ll have to see how the stock Hankooks perform to see if I should go grab something better. We’re in a place where we get a lot of chinooks and the snow really doesn’t stick around very long once it falls so

spud_41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 502a, Lead Foot 3.5L EB Fx4
KO2's have treated me well, you just have to watch them because once they get too worn down you'll start sliding. Blizzaks are dynamite snow tires though.

Sponsored

ib_jigged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, 2013 Edge Limited, 2019 Expedition
For the last 6 years I ran KO2's on my 2012. Put Falken Wildpeak AT3W's on my '21 before I picked it up and so far I am impressed in all conditions compared to the Ko2's. The Ko2's did not perform well on wet roads, and the wildpeaks were way better there. The traction on snow and ice have been great so far as well. Got 4" of snow last night and still coming down and a trip to the store this morning was surefooted as could be.

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
For p rated all terrain tires with a snow rating, I think the pirelli all terrain plus are as good as we are going to get. I have a set and they have been fantastic. Just as quiet as stock, good dry and wet pavement performance. Being light they help with good fuel economy. I don’t think the stock hankooks are very good. My set kept losing traction on wet roads. I would not trust them with any winter weather. Today I went into the mountains to get a Christmas tree. Encountered a couple inches of fresh snow, older frozen snow and ice. Tires works flawlessly. Very happy so far.

OP
OP
Tyler1986

Tyler1986

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
For p rated all terrain tires with a snow rating, I think the pirelli all terrain plus are as good as we are going to get. I have a set and they have been fantastic. Just as quiet as stock, good dry and wet pavement performance. Being light they help with good fuel economy. I don’t think the stock hankooks are very good. My set kept losing traction on wet roads. I would not trust them with any winter weather. Today I went into the mountains to get a Christmas tree. Encountered a couple inches of fresh snow, older frozen snow and ice. Tires works flawlessly. Very happy so far.
Thanks for the reply! I definitely think going with the pirelli’s is the way to go. I have a 6 hour round trip drive tomorrow with my stock Hankooks and I’m already dreading it.

jusrya

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 PowerBoost
Occupation
CPA
Thanks for the reply! I definitely think going with the pirelli’s is the way to go. I have a 6 hour round trip drive tomorrow with my stock Hankooks and I’m already dreading it.
What did you end up going for? The stock Hancooks have been really disappointing this winter. Clearly the weakest feature of what is otherwise and amazing truck.
It's between the Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus and General Grabber A/Tx for me at the moment. Haven't made a decision yet.

OP
OP
Tyler1986

Tyler1986

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What did you end up going for? The stock Hancooks have been really disappointing this winter. Clearly the weakest feature of what is otherwise and amazing truck.
It's between the Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus and General Grabber A/Tx for me at the moment. Haven't made a decision yet.
I was planning on going with the Pirelli's but finding a set close by seemed to be the hardest part. Tire shops were all out of stock or back ordered. I've been driving on the Hankooks since and, although they're not great on actual ice, they're not terrible in snow. The tires themselves were under-inflated when I encountered snow for the first time, but since adding air they've been a lot better.
My brother in-law recently got a new vehicle and its giving me his Nokian Hakkapalitta's which have 70% tread left. I'll plan on installing them next winter with hopes I can find a decent set of 20" rims to mount them on.

Where I live there are chinooks all winter so the snow I was struggling through a few weeks ago, is now gone.

Sponsored

jusrya

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 PowerBoost
Occupation
CPA
I was planning on going with the Pirelli's but finding a set close by seemed to be the hardest part. Tire shops were all out of stock or back ordered. I've been driving on the Hankooks since and, although they're not great on actual ice, they're not terrible in snow. The tires themselves were under-inflated when I encountered snow for the first time, but since adding air they've been a lot better.
My brother in-law recently got a new vehicle and its giving me his Nokian Hakkapalitta's which have 70% tread left. I'll plan on installing them next winter with hopes I can find a decent set of 20" rims to mount them on.

Where I live there are chinooks all winter so the snow I was struggling through a few weeks ago, is now gone.
Your right, the hankooks are fine in the snow, just brutal on ice.
Enjoy the Nokians, those will be awesome!!

KDK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I agree with the above, I think they are good (Hancooks) on snow, not good on ice.

That said,
here is the price at Costco just quickly looking.

It would definately make the truck look better having a set of these on it.
Ford F-150 Recommended Tires for Snow/Ice AND Summer 1642199208334

OP
OP
Tyler1986

Tyler1986

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I agree with the above, I think they are good (Hancooks) on snow, not good on ice.

That said,
here is the price at Costco just quickly looking.

It would definately make the truck look better having a set of these on it.
1642199208334.png
100% agree. When I checked Costco in December they were out of stock so I wasn’t able to go that route. Those will definitely be the ones I go with when I end up getting new tires. They looks aggressive but not overly aggressive for daily driving/the odd off road hunting trip.

Derek83

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mustang GT, 2021 F150 SCREW Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I had the factory hankook tires removed before i took the keys. Put on KO2s. I had Open Country AT2s on my 17 f150, the KO2s are much better so far in the Canadian Winter. I have heard about once the KO2s wear that they lose a bit, time will tell. 22,000 on them so far and loving them. I'm waiting to see more about the MT Baja Boss AT, for when the KO2s wear out.
Sponsored