Sponsored

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Interestingly, I received the invite from Ford early access this afternoon to join the Bluecruise program. I guess they are reading these forums ;-)
I'm sure of that..
Sponsored

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Has anyone heard how aggressive the eye monitoring will be? If you glance at the radio to change the station, does the car get mad? What if you’re browsing f150gen14.com on your phone while the car is driving? What’s the limit and what happens if you take your eyes off the road?
I would guess it will be the same as it responds to lane assist and adaptive Cruise Control warnings.

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
I wish I got a free demo invite for bluecruise
There is an email address that was in an earlier post you can send in a request.
Don't use the address I posted, it's wrong.
Good luck.

Caneman88

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost F150 Platinum ,MB GLC 300
Occupation
Pella Windows and Doors
I drove from San Antonio TX to Asheville NC with my 1.5 pound ankle weight on steering wheel
with no issues. The way back was straight thru. 17 hours 35 mins.
its what BlueCrusie will be like no hands on the wheel.
I have signed up for early access for BC

Sponsored

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I drove from San Antonio TX to Asheville NC with my 1.5 pound ankle weight on steering wheel
I hope you're not serious about the ankle weight nonsense.
I've driven thousands of miles using Tesla Autopilot and Ford CoPilot … neither of them can go 10 miles of straight freeway without encountering something they can't handle (safety cones, cars on the shoulder, sun glare, faded lane markers, off-ramp exit lanes, on-ramp weave lanes …) BlueCruise won't handle all of these (e.g. Tesla doesn't "see" things like illuminated temporary signs or speed limits or arrow boards or even a road worker waving a "slow the F down" flag.)
Co-Pilot is especially dangerous because it will "beep" or "cancelled" instead of dealing with mitigating a collision. Just this evening, instead of "holy crap that driver just cut you off" and hit the brakes, it just flashed red and continued forward … I had to intervene and use the brakes. Not "life or death" just one of many situations where an alert driver has to be ready, not distracted or trusting the software.
I hope that BlueCruise, from the videos, is capable of on-ramp-to-off-ramp driving with little or no driver input. It's "hands off" the wheel, but it's not "eyes off" the road.

Last edited:

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
neither of them can go 10 miles of straight freeway without encountering something they can't handle (safety cones, cars on the shoulder, sun glare, faded lane markers, off-ramp exit lanes, on-ramp weave lanes …)
I’ve driven >100mi with the only thing I’ve had to do was signal to change lanes to pass someone. While I agree that using a weight to bypass the system is dangerous, it is very capable.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I’ve driven >100mi with the only thing I’ve had to do was signal to change lanes to pass someone. While I agree that using a weight to bypass the system is dangerous, it is very capable.
I've driven a whole day cross country, most of 1000 miles non-stop on I-80, and the F-150 hardly made a mistake all day. But I've also had numerous events where it calmly beeps and displays "cancelled" just because the freeway is curving and I'm passing the exit to an off-ramp with faded line paint. Or like this evening when a driver in a Subaru was about to miss their exit, so they just put on their turn signal and cut me off, basically asking me for the courtesy of not wanting to meet me and exchange insurance information. The F-150 "saw" the collision and told me about it, but didn't try to avoid it (which was as simple as brushing the brakes and slowing 10-20 mph while the other driver asserted right of way to make the exit ramp … after all, they were in front, they were indicating the lane change, all they needed was for me to not be an ass and refuse to let them use "my" lane… : ) Of course if my vehicle had been a police vehicle, they would have just taken the next exit and doubled back …

mwf5888

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost FX4 & 2019 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Instructional Designer
I enrolled and received the invitation to Blue Cruise but have not received the download. It's been a week.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
A pretty good look at BlueCruise. The guy behind the wheel is a well-respected authority on vehicle and systems design and production engineering. He's also had a sit-down interview with Elon Musk which is worth a watch.

Sponsored

newdeal99

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
was just about to post that Sandy Munro video as well. Basically from watching this video it becomes pretty clear that this is just a camera which monitors your eyes in order to have lane keeping not cancel rather than your hands on the wheel. With an ankle weight very sharp bends can be taken but you end up riding the line (or possibly going into the other lane, likely why they only let you use it on divided highways, it works fine with an ankle weight on all roads but on sharp bends you end up in oncoming traffic) because the system isn't good enough to keep you in the middle which would of course be dangerous. In fact, I would say that those bends should have been able to be taken anyway because they didn't really appear to be that large. In Canada I feel like any bend on a highway large enough to give the system problems would have a reduced speed limit and multiple warning signs before entering the bend telling you to reduce speed. So either Ford is very conservative or those bends were larger than they looked. Fords answer to this seems to be to use GPS to detect large curves on the map and tell you to put your hands on the wheel before you enter the curve rather than making their system better...so disappointing and certainly not worth an up charge vs an ankle weight. Seems like if Ford actually had people "map" the highways it was just to mark which curves the system will lose control at and tell it to disengage there which would mean their plan all along was to think that would be ok rather than improving the system. As Sandy mentioned in regards to the lane bias the Ford doesn't give you a feeling of control on large bends because it doesn't start the turn gently and in advance, it waits until you feel uncomfortably close to the curve and then jacks the wheel around to try to stay in the middle of the lane (with limited success). Overall, the system blows.

Last edited:

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
A pretty good look at BlueCruise. The guy behind the wheel is a well-respected authority on vehicle and systems design and production engineering. He's also had a sit-down interview with Elon Musk which is worth a watch.
I think this video answers some questions about what functionality is brought by the “GPS mapping” and approved roadways areas. Instead of using that data to bias the system for upcoming turns or change the feedback gain or anything else to make the system more accurate in a turn, the GPS and mapping data is simply used to identify when the system will require you put your hands back on the wheel. It’s a bit disappointing and leads me to believe that there won’t be any enhancement above and beyond the current 360 system lane centering other than turning off the steering wheel sensor on straight sections of the highway and turning on the eye monitoring. It still remains to be seen how annoying the eye monitoring will be.

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
was just about to post that Sandy Munro video as well. Basically from watching this video it becomes pretty clear that this is just a camera which monitors your eyes in order to have lane keeping not cancel rather than your hands on the wheel. With an ankle weight very sharp bends can be taken but you end up riding the line (or possibly going into the other lane, likely why they only let you use it on divided highways, it works fine with an ankle weight on all roads but on sharp bends you end up in oncoming traffic) because the system isn't good enough to keep you in the middle which would of course be dangerous. In fact, I would say that those bends should have been able to be taken anyway because they didn't really appear to be that large. In Canada I feel like any bend on a highway large enough to give the system problems would have a reduced speed limit and multiple warning signs before entering the bend telling you to reduce speed. So either Ford is very conservative or those bends were larger than they looked. Fords answer to this seems to be to use GPS to detect large curves on the map and tell you to put your hands on the wheel before you enter the curve rather than making their system better...so disappointing and certainly not worth an up charge vs an ankle weight. Seems like if Ford actually had people "map" the highways it was just to mark which curves the system will lose control at and tell it to disengage there which would mean their plan all along was to think that would be ok rather than improving the system. As Sandy mentioned in regards to the lane bias the Ford doesn't give you a feeling of control on large bends because it doesn't start the turn gently and in advance, it waits until you feel uncomfortably close to the curve and then jacks the wheel around to try to stay in the middle of the lane (with limited success). Overall, the system blows.
1. Have you heard? Blue cruise isn’t out yet. Not even to the registered early access program. Basically, blue cruise is still in the testing phase, and hasn’t even been rolled out to their Beta program drivers. People that leave large posts absolutely crapping on what I feel is a crowning achievement in automotive history are just ignorant people that have no clue how absolutely amazingly complex these systems actually are.

2. Ignorance is bliss. Did you ever look into the aggressiveness settings on your lane centering? Do you even own a truck?, or are you just repeating crap you think you know about because you read 4 post of a thread of 1000 posts? Have you tried turning the aggressiveness up? The aggressiveness setting controls how hard it “fights” the driver to do what it wants.

The problem is, if set to normal or easy, the momentum of the vehicle cannot be changed enough, and the computer thinks you are steering. So if you want the truck to control your “ankle weight back” better then you have to turn the settings up. Geez.

Not trying to be rude, but you shouldn’t say Ford’s system blows, because you can’t follow directions.

Using an ankle weight isn’t in the directions for how to use lane centering, so how the heck are you going to blast Ford for not “keeping you in the lane” when it CLEARLY says keep your hands on the wheel.

And if you said the system blows, and you have no clue how it’s AI and algorithms works, and you don’t even have the truck to boot, then you need to delete your post.

If you do have the Truck, and you feel the system blows, then there is something wrong with your truck and you need to bring it to the dealer.

People dread customer reviews like the one you just posted, and other people are going to be turned off by it.

Just so everyone knows, I’ve driven my truck 26k miles, with at least 20k miles using lane centering. I only touch the wheel every 30 seconds, and my truck navigates curves a stupid fast speeds (without my hands on the wheel).

This guy doesn’t know what he is talking about, so please disregard the rubbish review he just posted.

If the Ford lane centering was an add on package for older vehicles, I would pay $20,000 for it. I hope the other guy never activates blue cruise.

I remember my iPhone model 1 well, and it was very limited. But somehow, it was a completely different phone 3 years later through the magic of “software updates”

Just think on that for a second. It’s people like this guy that is keeping Ford from releasing the early access to people like us. So thanks for ruining it for everyone.

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
Geez….

Ok I have now watch the video. Time for Rant #2.

1. It was the solid lines on the road that caused it to cancel. Not ONLY the curve. This is another example of a Ford employee that doesn’t know how their own product handles lane detection. After 26k miles behind the wheel, I can assure you the system doesn’t like solid white lines on both sides and makes you drive.

2. You can’t compare Ford’s 1,000 prep + 600 Bliecruise fee to Tesla’s 10,000 dollar package for FSD.

3. Clearly Sandy has no idea how the lane centering works, otherwise he wouldn’t have been fumbling the system up while they drove. He also would have had FULL confidence on the 2nd curve if he knew the blue cruise and lane centering “chimes” and even had a clue how Lane Centering was supposed to work.

4. This is yet another terrible review done by an old man that doesn’t know how to work the vehicle, and compares it to a system that costs 10x as much. I guess Ford is just supposed to give the best FSD tech away for free.

5. THE SYSTEM HASNT BEEN ROLLED OUT YET. It is in PRE BETA currently, and not even in public beta yet.

These are the same people that download the iPhone public BETA and complain because it has bugs.

ITS BETA. ITS NOT GOING TO BE PERFECT on day 1 of early access, and if you are enrolled in early access already, then you should have read the fine print. Because it basically says you can’t fault them if the features you receiver are incomplete or broken.

If you are enrolled in early access and you plan to say things like “Ford’s System Blows” after watching 1 review with like 2-3 curves shown, then please remove yourself from this thread and remove yourself from Early Access because this stage of Blue Cruise development simply isn’t for you.

There has been little to no negative comments on this thread about Lane Centering or Blue Cruise, and some hippie jump in here and says it blows.

Go drive for 26k miles with only Lane Centering on for the majority of the miles (let it change your life like it has mine) and then come back and post some positive things about it. Otherwise, please reserve your negative comments for the other threads where negativity is vital.

Getting early access is a privilege and you should be happy you are on the list to get the BETA version when they make it available to us. If you don’t want to pay 600 dollars for your truck to drive, then don’t do it.

It will be your loss 100%, and I feel many others with experience in lane centering might agree. It is beyond amazing how lane centering works right now. I can’t phantom how great it will be once it get better.

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
Did the same thing driving back from Iowa to Sacramento. 75% of the trip didn’t have hands on the steering wheel. That ankle weight is legit.
Sponsored