Sponsored

Rear ended, how to best fix?

Snakedoctor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
In mid February my truck got rear ended and while the damage isn’t overly extensive I’m still driving around unrepaired. Geico is handling the claim as thats who insured the other driver. My left taillight, bumper, left bed panel, and tailgate took the impact. Geico had me do an online estimate and then they cut me a check for what they estimate is the cost. They already expect to pay me more after supplements are done.

Here’s where I stand. I called the dealership that I wanted to use and sent them the estimate. They just order parts and I get scheduled when they come in. HOWEVER, I just looked over what they sent, yes that’s on me for only checking now, but they didn’t even include my actual bumper, like the metal portion. The taillight they put is just the halogen one not the LED which is a significant cost. It seems they are using MSRP price to fund this. Geico doesn’t have limitiation on who can fix the truck as long as they are an actual business.

I have a friend who is an amazing body mechanic. He’s a perfectionist in every sense and has worked on two of my previous vehicles and I trust his work. Should I just tell the dealership to refund the parts they have on order and go that route? I’m thinking if I went with him and could source it I might even be able to get the tremor taillights since I can buy the set for the price they would be paying for 1 of these non tremor versions. I’m not sure if he would have to prove where he’s purchasing it and all that but at this point I’m waiting to get seen by a shop who’s going to need to order different parts anyhow. I’m waiting on getting pulled over since my tag isn’t visible and I have no choice but to drive in the meantime.

What would you do?

Ford F-150 Rear ended, how to best fix? EF5739C3-18FE-4198-885B-92A8B6488B3B

Ford F-150 Rear ended, how to best fix? 2971B7AE-3154-45E8-ADBF-6C23EAED9DF7

Ford F-150 Rear ended, how to best fix? DF7B2ADC-8655-46EF-AFDD-8D1A498A2341

Ford F-150 Rear ended, how to best fix? 024EB186-16F1-40D3-9316-D5052467FC3E

Ford F-150 Rear ended, how to best fix? C1DAB654-5BEF-45D0-8A07-EF6FEEF8933B
Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
I'd find the best professional (a reputable business recognized by Geico; if that's your friend, swell) to do the work to OE spec and let them deal with Geico for the supplements required for all the correct parts needed to accomplish that.

I would not complicate the accident settlement by trying to substitute mod parts. I realize you've got no intention of trying to get Geico to cover that, but IMO that would still be a conflation (combining two ideas into one) that risks complicating the accident settlement which would otherwise make you "whole" with the least amount of hassle.

IOW, get that accident behind you (pardon the pun) and then move on from there.

One old pharts suggestion, admitting I'm into minimizing hassles with insurance settlements, just for your consideration. Good Luck!

Last edited:

Quicksilver32

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat FX4
Insurance agent here. So, you shouldn't have gotten involved with Geico beyond this phrase: "Hi. You have on file the accident report. I'm taking the vehicle to the shop of my choice. Your adjuster will be hearing from them. Thanks." Never fill out anything, never sign anything, never accept anything. Remember, their job is to get out of this deal by shelling out as little as possible. They are not looking out for your interests. As for the repair, find the best shop you can. And it's usually not a dealership. They need to be reputable, licensed and insured and offer a warranty on the repair. This accident will show up on CarFax, Geico will make sure of that. And you want to make sure it's done correctly, since it will cost you a few thousand in diminished value. And have fun getting that from Geico!

OP
OP
Snakedoctor

Snakedoctor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Insurance agent here. So, you shouldn't have gotten involved with Geico beyond this phrase: "Hi. You have on file the accident report. I'm taking the vehicle to the shop of my choice. Your adjuster will be hearing from them. Thanks." Never fill out anything, never sign anything, never accept anything. Remember, their job is to get out of this deal by shelling out as little as possible. They are not looking out for your interests. As for the repair, find the best shop you can. And it's usually not a dealership. They need to be reputable, licensed and insured and offer a warranty on the repair. This accident will show up on CarFax, Geico will make sure of that. And you want to make sure it's done correctly, since it will cost you a few thousand in diminished value. And have fun getting that from Geico!
This wasn’t an option. They called me and in order to use them that’s what their claims process is. Then when I checked with the body shop they require the estimate of work from the insurance company to even start the process of working on it. It seems unusual but I’ve never had to deal with anything like this. Seems backwards since the shop has to do more work by now ordering more/different parts.

SilverPigeon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 KR 5.0L 157"WB RHD "Emaciated Edition"
Apart from the good repair advice you've already received, seeing as how the damage has already been assessed, I would cut the plastic trim obscuring the number plate and then not have to worry so much about Mr. Plod 🙂

Sponsored

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
This wasn’t an option. They called me and in order to use them that’s what their claims process is. Then when I checked with the body shop they require the estimate of work from the insurance company to even start the process of working on it. It seems unusual but I’ve never had to deal with anything like this. Seems backwards since the shop has to do more work by now ordering more/different parts.
I agree with all the posters so far. In addition, this is why I called my insurance company (Progressive) when we were rear ended last summer and not that at fault driver's insurance company (USAA). We pay Progressive, so they work for us. We have no relationship with USAA. I told Progressive to fix it and use subrogation to get the money back from the other driver's insurance company. Progressive suggested a few repair shops in our area. I reviewed the google reviews, selected one, and they took care of it 100%. Also, they found more damage after taking the bumper off. After a couple months, Progressive let us know they got all the money back from USAA. It was hassle free other than not having the vehicle for a few days and managing the physical soreness from the accident.

Reactions: sbi
OP
OP
Snakedoctor

Snakedoctor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I agree with all the posters so far. In addition, this is why I called my insurance company (Progressive) when we were rear ended last summer and not that at fault driver's insurance company (USAA). We pay Progressive, so they work for us. We have no relationship with USAA. I told Progressive to fix it and use subrogation to get the money back from the other driver's insurance company. Progressive suggested a few repair shops in our area. I reviewed the google reviews, selected one, and they took care of it 100%. Also, they found more damage after taking the bumper off. After a couple months, Progressive let us know they got all the money back from USAA. It was hassle free other than not having the vehicle for a few days and managing the physical soreness from the accident.
My only problem with that is then my company see it’s as a claim which affect my rates. I’m not doubting Geico in any way more so just wondering if I should go this round about way with the Ford/Lincoln auto body shop or go with the independent shop that I know does amazing work. Im going to be calling the Ford one in the morning and see what they say about these wrong part numbers listed. I don’t want to wait then find out I need to wait more since the wrong parts were ordered.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
My only problem with that is then my company see it’s as a claim which affect my rates. I’m not doubting Geico in any way more so just wondering if I should go this round about way with the Ford/Lincoln auto body shop or go with the independent shop that I know does amazing work. Im going to be calling the Ford one in the morning and see what they say about these wrong part numbers listed. I don’t want to wait then find out I need to wait more since the wrong parts were ordered.
Your rates should not go up if it is not your fault. And your company will see the accident in the insurance shared info file regardless of whether you tell them or not.

Reactions: sbi

Quicksilver32

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat FX4
When you are not at fault, your rates should not increase. How has your agent advised you? As for Geico asking you to inspect and assess your own vehicle, not even Geico's website says that. It says they send an adjuster to you or the collision shop. I would guess you are looking at about $5k in repair and $3k in diminished value. I hope your check was close to that....

OP
OP
Snakedoctor

Snakedoctor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
When you are not at fault, your rates should not increase. How has your agent advised you? As for Geico asking you to inspect and assess your own vehicle, not even Geico's website says that. It says they send an adjuster to you or the collision shop. I would guess you are looking at about $5k in repair and $3k in diminished value. I hope your check was close to that....
Geico does self claims where you send them the photos, they write an estimate, and then the shop gets to work on their promise they are footing the bill. So far I’ve only got to the order parts stage with the body shop which Geico covered ahead of time. Insurance in my state doesn’t go by fault but they can accept liability like Geico has done. If I go through my insurance I have to pay my deductible and it will count as a claim.

Sponsored

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
I agree that you should have dealt with your own insurance company, not with the other party's one. I am not in the insurance business and don't know for a fact, but I suppose you can't reverse yet (returning the check to to Geico and start fresh with your company).

However, I don't understand why your Ford dealership would order parts that are not OEM to your truck. On what basis did they decide to put a halogen rear light in your truck when it has LED?! That's beyond me.

As I mentioned before in another thread - I know that many dealerships have body shops/body shop departments, but I would never use them. I'd rather go to a body shop that this is the only thing they do. See if you have Cliber Collision in your area.

Timtoolman

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Retired Nuc welder , and Dot
Is Geico going to pay for diminished value ???

eharri3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
#20Fordf150
Occupation
Business
I have never heard of an insurance accident repair happening this way and I am a Geico customer who has been hit by other Geico customers. Nearly Every time I have done this the body shop accepts the vehicle, inspects, sends the insurance company the estimate. Then if they find new damage when opening things up they submit a supplemental estimate. I think in some scenarios I have first gone to an insurance estimator who will inspect and write it up, then send me to a shop knowing there may be a supplemental. I do not get to have the shop start ordering parts just based on what I say.

Much of the problem here seems to have been caused by the shop ordering parts based on just seeing the customer's estimate, without having the vehicle in their shop. If I were a body shop I wouldn't do it this way as I'm wasting time ordering parts I may find out are wrong for the job. When I get estimates my shop's estimator takes my vin off the vehicle itself and punches it in, giving him my exact model, trim and options to get all the proper part numbers for my specific vehicle. I don't think they'd even accept a job without seeing my car just based on me sending my own estimate. They run a tight ship with fast on time repair and return of finished vehicles and have no time to be sitting around ordering wrong parts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snakedoctor

Snakedoctor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I have never heard of an insurance accident repair happening this way and I am a Geico customer who has been hit by other Geico customers. Nearly Every time I have done this the body shop accepts the vehicle, inspects, sends the insurance company the estimate. Then if they find new damage when opening things up they submit a supplemental estimate. I think in some scenarios I have first gone to an insurance estimator who will inspect and write it up, then send me to a shop knowing there may be a supplemental. I do not get to have the shop start ordering parts just based on what I say.

Much of the problem here seems to have been caused by the shop ordering parts based on just seeing the customer's estimate, without having the vehicle in their shop. If I were a body shop I wouldn't do it this way as I'm wasting time ordering parts I may find out are wrong for the job. When I get estimates my shop's estimator takes my vin off the vehicle itself and punches it in, giving him my exact model, trim and options to get all the proper part numbers for my specific vehicle. I don't think they'd even accept a job without seeing my car just based on me sending my own estimate. They run a tight ship with fast on time repair and return of finished vehicles and have no time to be sitting around ordering wrong parts.
It’s funny with the estimate they have all my trucks specs included. I don’t know where they got part numbers because it didn’t take long from submitting photos to getting the estimate. Had I gone through my own insurance Id be paying my deductible plus the higher costs of having a claim even though I was rear ended.

@sbi see above. My insurance would cost me more down the road. They also aren’t putting not OEM parts. They havent seen the truck so they don’t know it’s the wrong taillight yet. They work with Geico and so far everyone I’ve asked in this area has said this is how Geico works. I get my choice of auto repair shop and they pay them any extras that aren’t covered with initial estimate.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
It’s funny with the estimate they have all my trucks specs included. I don’t know where they got part numbers because it didn’t take long from submitting photos to getting the estimate. Had I gone through my own insurance Id be paying my deductible plus the higher costs of having a claim even though I was rear ended.

@sbi see above. My insurance would cost me more down the road. They also aren’t putting not OEM parts. They havent seen the truck so they don’t know it’s the wrong taillight yet. They work with Geico and so far everyone I’ve asked in this area has said this is how Geico works. I get my choice of auto repair shop and they pay them any extras that aren’t covered with initial estimate.
You shouldn't have to pay your deductible since the other driver is as fault. It would come back to your insurance company via subrogation. Then again, you never mention who you have for your insurance. They don't seem like a good company from what you've posted. When you get through this BS, switch to Progressive and you'll get taken care of next time this happens.
Sponsored