Rear end order option 8.8 or 9.75

Which rear end

• Total voters

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
All I can say is that the 2.7/3.73 is a really nice combination if you’re interested in low end acceleration. Truck pulls like a mule from a dig.

My summertime highway MPG is in the 22.5 - 23.5 range. The best tank I had last summer was 23.8.

ETA: here is a calculator so you can get an idea of the difference in engine RPM at a given speed between the 3.55 and 3.73.

Engine RPM Calculator | Spicer Parts
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks! And yeah the price is very similar. For the 2.7 you have to get the payload package to get 9.75, which is like $1k or something.
But yeah, my biggest concern with the 3.73 is whether the gearing and overall size will cause any noticeable impact on fuel economy. If not then this seems like the way to go.
Your driving style/habits have more effect on MPG than the rear diff.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
@shawizkid I suggest you pay attention to the use-habits of those who advocate the lower-ratio / physically larger gearset and ask yourself if that's really comparable to your situation.

.... truck will be daily driver, hauling cargo in the bed from time to time, but rarely used for towing.
Given that use-profile, IMO you're a good candidate for the numerically lower ('taller') 3:55:1 ratio. Nothing about your described use-habits would stress the smaller gearset and related components, you might as well get the day-in-day-out long-term benefit of slightly better mileage for that daily driving.

Yes, your driving style likely has more effect on mileage, but unless you've a propensity for frequent jack-rabbit launches the lower ratio will yield better mileage all other things being equal (e.g. your driving style).

Nor does anything in your use-profile suggest that you would benefit from the payload package that's required for the 3:73, making that a rather expensive front-end cost for IMO no benefit for you. The payload package may have the side-effect of slightly harsher ride when empty or lightly loaded (which seems to be your typical situation); is that a characteristic you want for your daily driver?

Just for your consideration.

Last edited:
OP
OP

shawizkid

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sierra, explorer st
@shawizkid I suggest you pay attention to the use-habits of those who advocate the lower-ratio / physically larger gearset and ask yourself if that's really comparable to your situation.

Given that use-profile, IMO you're a good candidate for the numerically lower ('taller') 3:55:1 ratio. Nothing about your described use-habits would stress the smaller gearset and related components, you might as well get the day-in-day-out long-term benefit of slightly better mileage for that daily driving.

Yes, your driving style likely has more effect on mileage, but unless you've a propensity for frequent jack-rabbit launches the lower ratio will yield better mileage all other things being equal (e.g. your driving style).

Nor does anything in your use-profile suggest that you would benefit from the payload package that's required for the 3:73, making that a rather expensive front-end cost for IMO no benefit for you. The payload package may have the side-effect of slightly harsher ride when empty or lightly loaded (which seems to be your typical situation); is that a characteristic you want for your daily driver?

Just for your consideration.
Thanks for the input.
I agree on most accounts. Although my thought is if spending 55k on a truck, $700 extra for additional capability is probably worth it in case we were to buy a camper, which we’ve discussed previously.
Honestly if the 3.73 to 3.55 netted more than 1mpg, it might be worth it to go with the taller gear. But unfortunately I don’t think there’s enough reliable data to show how much of an impact between those gears.

ride quality isn’t really something I’d considered. But I’m guessing either are going be be better than my 2012 gmc 1500

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
.... in case we were to buy a camper, which we’ve discussed previously.
No worries, that's a different use-profile than stated in your original post; we can only make considered comments based on the info provided.

Sponsored

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I voted for the 3.55, but that's not my favored option. The 5.0 NA engine with a 3.31 can pull well and get excellent mileage, but I wouldn't trade any of them for my Powerboost (which only comes with a 3.73).

OP
OP

shawizkid

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sierra, explorer st
I voted for the 3.55, but that's not my favored option. The 5.0 NA engine with a 3.31 can pull well and get excellent mileage, but I wouldn't trade any of them for my Powerboost (which only comes with a 3.73).
I have a 2.7 on order with the 3.73 9.75” rear. Even with that gear it’s final drive is taller with the 10 speed than a 3.55 and a 6 speed.

Glad to hear you’re enjoying your truck

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
Honestly, I would be surprised if a final drive gear will make a crazy difference to your fuel mileage. Get what you like and give ‘er hell

The biggest contributor I can guarantee will be keeping your foot out of the go-juice pedal

if you’re not moving, gallons per mile = infinity

Ford F-150 Rear end order option 8.8 or 9.75 94-f150-monster-burnout-600

Last edited:

konoplya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150
is there a way to tell which rear i have, whether 8.8 or 9.75?

Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
is there a way to tell which rear i have, whether 8.8 or 9.75?
If you don't know your gear ratio you can get under truck and look. They are different designs with different bolt count.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I would strongly recommend the 3.5 over the 2.7. The 2.7 is a great engine and overbuilt in most ways. HOWEVER, the oil pump is driven by a belt immersed in hot oil vs a chain or gears like every other engine out there. WHEN that belt fails, your engine will immediately die with almost zero warning.

Spoiler: It Was the Oil Pump Belt

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
4x2 PB's come with 3.55 rears. 4x4 PB's come with 3.73 rears.

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
My vote is for 3.73 but NOT HD towing. I have abused my 3.73 standard 9.75 axle and it is an absolute beast.

Bonus points for axle nuts not coming adrift.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
The 3.55 is the appropriate axle for this guys usage.
I voted before reading his post because that's the way the thread is layed out. Vote then find out why lol. 3.55 seems ideal for the 2.7 non-towing application.
Sponsored