Sponsored

Rear axle bolt failure...AGAIN!!

RidingHighNCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
This is really beginning to piss me off. I've had a second axle bolt failure, this time on the other side. Apparently there is a group of engineers and analysts somewhere in the engineering staff at FORD that has no idea of Fracture Critical Parts, Single Point Failures and redundancy of fracture critical parts. If a single bolt fails and renders my vehicle as unsafe to drive, then there should be redundant fasteners. FORD you need to conduct a Failure review board and determine the root cause of the bolts shearing and issue a recall and have the affected parts replaced. I'm not sure how the design of the axels on the Explores are designed but I have read that those axle bolts fail as well. As soon as I finish this post I will be writing to NHTSA to submit a compliant.
Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
major ooof. Do you even stress the truck or did it break on a commute?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
It's a fair theory that on almost every one of these trucks that has a failed axle bolt, the other bolt is likely to fail at some point as well.

What's avoidable is waiting for it to fail. I don't understand why they don't replace both sides. Makes no sense. Even if they won't share exactly what they DO KNOW about the issue, they also know that the root cause affects BOTH bolts.

I can stomach the manufacturing flaw. It happens. But once the manufacturer identifies the problem and the solution, they have no defense for handling in such a manner.

OP
OP

RidingHighNCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
It's a fair theory that on almost every one of these trucks that has a failed axle bolt, the other bolt is likely to fail at some point as well.

What's avoidable is waiting for it to fail. I don't understand why they don't replace both sides. Makes no sense. Even if they won't share exactly what they DO KNOW about the issue, they also know that the root cause affects BOTH bolts.

I can stomach the manufacturing flaw. It happens. But once the manufacturer identifies the problem and the solution, they have no defense for handling in such a manner.
I can't get anyone at the dealer to tell me what the problem fix is. When the bolt fails then they replace the axle and the bolt but I don't know if the fix is to replace the bolt with a higher strength fastener or due to material capability they have to replace the axle as well when using a different fastener. The design team, materials group or the analysts should have caught this!!!

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Although nobody has anything official to go by, evidence is that it's a "batch" issue. Fenced by build dates. (at least Ford has framed the issue this way)

And if that's true, and regardless if whether we will ever be told the facts, if the truck has an axle from this batch, and especially if one side pops, replace BOTH sides because it's from the batch.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
And if that's true, and regardless if whether we will ever be told the facts, if the truck has an axle from this batch, and especially if one side pops, replace BOTH sides because it's from the batch.
I've no desire or basis for arguing any of the IMO good points raised above, and certainly don't want to come across as defending Ford's response to this issue.

Having said that, IMO one possible interpretation of the text in the pertinent CSP (attached) is that the current practice limits replacement to only failed axles in response to limited parts availability (hoarding to be able to address actual failures somewhat timely?).

Not at all suggesting that's (or any of this issue) a good situation, but it might be an understandable response at the moment (?).

I'm not affected (yet) and am keeping fingers crossed that eventually there will be an updated response by Ford that's more comprehensive and proven 'permanent'.

But hey, I'm an optimist by nature; so far my only solace is that Ford has at least finally and publicly acknowledged the situation by the issue of the CSP, so I'm running with that as an indication they're at least 'working the problem'.

Attachments

Nano150

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150
Occupation
Teacher
Any reports of 2023’s having this same issue yet? Or did Ford rectify the problem before producing these?

Sponsored

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
I'm so happy my cost benefit "analyst" on my Power Boost ruled out the Max Tow axle. Basically, all the extra $1k would get me was slightly larger brakes and a stronger bumper. Well it would have also gotten me a very problematic rear axle.

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Buyer2021

You've made many great posts regarding the axle issue, and being an optimist wouldn't be something I would possibly object to. :)
Supply may very well be the reason only one side is repaired if only one side has broken.

But the very next post below yours states that Ford replaced both sides (axles) when his truck had only one broken bolt. So who knows why they might handle it either way?

I wonder if the dealership's approach might be a deciding factor?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Any reports of 2023’s having this same issue yet? Or did Ford rectify the problem before producing these?
If you have a 2023, or even a 2022 built after March 2022, you could find a million other things to be spend your worry bucket on. :)

The link above AND the CSP posted will be the source for my opinion regarding. Lol

Northguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT, 2010 F150 XLT
If you have a 2023, or even a 2022 built after March 2022, you could find a million other things to be spend your worry bucket on. :)

The link above AND the CSP posted will be the source for my opinion regarding. Lol
Agree. While risk is likely not zero it appears the frequency is much reduced. Yes there is the issue around has there been enough time for job 2 2022 and 2023 trucks to fail but even with that in mind the anecdotal evidence suggests frequency is significantly reduced to the point that likely other things are a bigger concern (as a job 2 2022 truck owner with max tow I am certainly hoping that is true - confirmation bias not withstanding lol)

Last edited:

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Yepper! (y)
Sponsored