First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 2021 Powerboost XLT 302A 360 Camera 7.2KW
Occupation
Retired
How much did the transfer switch install run you? And how did they overcome the neutral issue I see everyone talking about
I was able to find a transfer switch (Eaton brand) on market place for $200 CDN . The installation, plug for the outside the extra breakers and the 50 feet power cord from the truck to the house cost me $900 CDN. The total is roughly $830 USD. There is no issue with the neutral if you use a proper transfer switch and get it properly installed. The issue is when people try to go around the proper way to do it :)
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dmusick757

Dmusick757

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 powerboost xl
I was able to find a transfer switch (Eaton brand) on market place for $200 CDN . The installation, plug for the outside the extra breakers and the 50 feet power cord from the truck to the house cost me $900 CDN. The total is roughly $830 USD. There is no issue with the neutral if you use a proper transfer switch and get it properly installed. The issue is when people try to go around the proper way to do it :)
Oh ok thats not as bad as I thought. Thank you

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 2021 Powerboost XLT 302A 360 Camera 7.2KW
Occupation
Retired
Oh ok thats not as bad as I thought. Thank you
To be honest, the deal on the transfer switch did save me probably between $500 if not $600 CDN. If you look for a used one, please ensure the transfer switch works with bonded neutral. You can always ask for the model and look on the internet to confirm it

AndrewMC

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
FF/EMT-B
How much did the transfer switch install run you? And how did they overcome the neutral issue I see everyone talking about
The transfer switch will isolate the neutral so in theory current will follow the correct path to source not freely pick ground or neutral as the path of least resistance. I only have an interlock and 30amp generator inlet on my house. I just made an adaptor pigtail that has the ground unhooked so all current must flow through the neutral.

Ziggy73

First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Radiologic Technologist
I got this power ext cord so I can just have one cord into my garage and then run 4 other ext cords into my house. This one is flat so it goes under the garage door when its closed and the truck is outside. Also I like it because it runs on the 30 amp circuit so both A and B circuit are used for the full 7.2k.
1663364250142.png
Nice, I have similar, but not for my 30 amp side. I keep it under the seat, you never know when you might need to whoop out the griddle at day use. I love seeing how we are all using it trucks, gives me different ideas.

Sponsored

Cobraman428

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB 701A MT FX4
Occupation
VP of IT
Well, I guess I'll be using my PB 7.2kw this coming week. Glad I got the 30amp ext. power cord.
Ford F-150 Real world power outage dealt with using Powerboost ProPower 7.2kw with dropcords 1664024317058

Ford F-150 Real world power outage dealt with using Powerboost ProPower 7.2kw with dropcords 1664024364472

bigjohnp

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F150 XLT Sport
Occupation
retired
Fiona is causing huge problems right now through New Brunswick, Easter Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia. Some places got 60 inches of rain overnight, high winds, flooding, lots of damaged buildings and houses.

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
The transfer switch will isolate the neutral so in theory current will follow the correct path to source not freely pick ground or neutral as the path of least resistance. I only have an interlock and 30amp generator inlet on my house. I just made an adaptor pigtail that has the ground unhooked so all current must flow through the neutral.
I did kinda the same thing. I’ve got a 4 pole twist on a 12ft 8/4 cord and a 50 amp Rv plug on the other end. I already had a Rv plug mounted to my shop. Just disconnected the ground. I flip off the mains so as not to back feed power to the grid. Then plug in truck to the Rv plug turn on generator and back feed into the house. Whole setup minus the truck of course was under $100. I know the “safety police” might have a coronary but I’m the only one who hooks it up and make sure I follow a specific order to make sure everything is safe. I just had to use it for the first time last week for about 6 hrs. Tan the entire house without issue. 👍

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I did kinda the same thing. I’ve got a 4 pole twist on a 12ft 8/4 cord and a 50 amp Rv plug on the other end. I already had a Rv plug mounted to my shop. Just disconnected the ground. I flip off the mains so as not to back feed power to the grid. Then plug in truck to the Rv plug turn on generator and back feed into the house. Whole setup minus the truck of course was under $100. I know the “safety police” might have a coronary but I’m the only one who hooks it up and make sure I follow a specific order to make sure everything is safe. I just had to use it for the first time last week for about 6 hrs. Tan the entire house without issue. 👍
Create a check list / order of operations for your connection and leave it in the box / connection area. If it's needed in a moment of chaos you'll at least have something to fall back on / proceed without actually thinking about what you're doing.

Sponsored

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
Create a check list / order of operations for your connection and leave it in the box / connection area. If it's needed in a moment of chaos you'll at least have something to fall back on / proceed without actually thinking about what you're doing.
That certainly is a good idea. I do have electrical background but one can never be too safe. At some point I’m going to install a different type of system to make it even more full proof but this will work for the moment.

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
Wrong and dangerous. 38 year master electrician

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
By National Electrical Code you are not supposed to disconnect the ground.
Sponsored