First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
By National Electrical Code you are not supposed to disconnect the ground.
And the “safety police” have arrived. Wondered how long it would take. And yes I’m well aware of that. Basic knowledge. And as stated before this is a temporary solution until I get time to put in a proper switch that the truck likes better.
Sponsored

AndrewMC

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
FF/EMT-B
By National Electrical Code you are not supposed to disconnect the ground.
You're not disconnecting the ground, you're bonding neutral and ground in the truck. by lifting the ground in the trucks connection you're just making the return current flow on the grounded conductor so the GFI can work

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
And the “safety police” have arrived. Wondered how long it would take. And yes I’m well aware of that. Basic knowledge. And as stated before this is a temporary solution until I get time to put in a proper switch that the truck likes better.
Safety Police? No. But I am a qualified, licensed, Master Electrician.
and you are full of misinformation.
An interlock kit only works on a floating neutral generator.
If you disconnect the ground from the truck, how can it bond the neutral? And how do the circuit breakers sense a ground fault?

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
If you disconnect the ground from the truck, how can it bond the neutral?
Bonding is done at the panel, just as the utility does it.

And how do the circuit breakers sense a ground fault?
Again, GFCI breakers in the panel are not in any way affected.

More than once you've claimed to be a master electrician and not once have you illustrated how groundless supply from the utility's generator is safer than the same from the customer's. I still await your reply.

Sponsored

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 2021 Powerboost XLT 302A 360 Camera 7.2KW
Occupation
Retired

More than once you've claimed to be a master electrician and not once have you illustrated how groundless supply from the utility's generator is safer than the same from the customer's. I still await your reply.
If you unplug the ground coming from the truck then how would the GFI from the truck work?

BTW: I'm not an electrician but curious to know more

AndrewMC

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
FF/EMT-B
Safety Police? No. But I am a qualified, licensed, Master Electrician.
and you are full of misinformation.
An interlock kit only works on a floating neutral generator.
If you disconnect the ground from the truck, how can it bond the neutral? And how do the circuit breakers sense a ground fault?
Neuts and grounds are already bonded at the service entrance panel where the interlock is.

AndrewMC

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
FF/EMT-B

Most master electricians are usually sitting in a ivory palace somewhere while their journeymen and apprentices actually do the work.

AndrewMC

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
FF/EMT-B
If you unplug the ground coming from the truck then how would the GFI from the truck work?

GFIs work by sensing the current going out, and returning to sense if that current is 'leaking' anywhere ie to a human body.

What lifting the ground does on these trucks is force the return current to take the path back on the neutral wire, rather than neutral or ground. It would normally pick just the path of least resistance.

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation

It can’t. You disable the trucks protection from ground faults by doing this.

Sponsored

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation

Correct, bonding is done at the panel for the utility service. When you use the Powerboost the bonding is at the truck. If you remove the ground from the truck there isn’t an effective grounding path. Think about it. How does the panel bond work if it is not connected in any way to the pickup truck?

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Correct, bonding is done at the panel for the utility service. When you use the Powerboost the bonding is at the truck. If you remove the ground from the truck there isn’t an effective grounding path. Think about it. How does the panel bond work if it is not connected in any way to the pickup truck?
Same way it does coming from the utility. The one exception being that the customer's utility sitting outside is protected via GFI. Your failure to answer this question as asked is precisely what casts doubt on your understanding of power systems as a whole. When confused, you revert to code. You know there's a code that says it's illegal to bake a pie and set it in the window to cool on Sunday. Could you argue that one too for us while you're at it? Perhaps defend the indefensible codes of some nations that a female can't leave home without a male chaperone?

Your posts have shown that you don't actually understand what grounding is for, or even how voltage itself works. What makes voltage present in a wire? The delta between local earth when viewed as a single conductor (which is relative, the earth is charged differently EVERYWHERE so much so that you can string long 'earthed' lines and pull voltage from them), as well as the delta between 2 conductors. Voltage is simply the difference of charge between one item and another. When neutral is bonded to earth where the ground also resides, it insures that local earth ground is of the same potential (aka the structure, walls, water / gas lines, etc...) . This is why the utility doesn't provide ground and earths the neutral at every transformer. The neutral is the de facto ground of their system and doesn't require a discrete ground conductor.

The truck's "ground" isn't earthed to earth, it's bonded to the truck chassis, which is also the bonding point for the truck's generation system. This fact alone makes it infinitely more safe than a utility. If you actually understand what's going on, join the discussion, but by all means stop detracting from conversations where you can't actually contribute anything other than a code for which you don't understand why something is the way it is. Go ask your buddies over at mike holt where the safety issue comes from by floating the ground from the truck at the panel the cord enters. And no I don't mean be vague, I mean quite clearly state the facts of the exact case in point -- the safety aspect. Not why code ignores GFI protected generation. Strictly the safety aspect.

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Same way it does coming from the utility. The one exception being that the customer's utility sitting outside is protected via GFI. Your failure to answer this question as asked is precisely what casts doubt on your understanding of power systems as a whole. When confused, you revert to code. You know there's a code that says it's illegal to bake a pie and set it in the window to cool on Sunday. Could you argue that one too for us while you're at it? Perhaps defend the indefensible codes of some nations that a female can't leave home without a male chaperone?

Your posts have shown that you don't actually understand what grounding is for, or even how voltage itself works. What makes voltage present in a wire? The delta between local earth when viewed as a single conductor (which is relative, the earth is charged differently EVERYWHERE so much so that you can string long 'earthed' lines and pull voltage from them), as well as the delta between 2 conductors. Voltage is simply the difference of charge between one item and another. When neutral is bonded to earth where the ground also resides, it insures that local earth ground is of the same potential (aka the structure, walls, water / gas lines, etc...) . This is why the utility doesn't provide ground and earths the neutral at every transformer. The neutral is the de facto ground of their system and doesn't require a discrete ground conductor.

The truck's "ground" isn't earthed to earth, it's bonded to the truck chassis, which is also the bonding point for the truck's generation system. This fact alone makes it infinitely more safe than a utility. If you actually understand what's going on, join the discussion, but by all means stop detracting from conversations where you can't actually contribute anything other than a code for which you don't understand why something is the way it is. Go ask your buddies over at mike holt where the safety issue comes from by floating the ground from the truck at the panel the cord enters. And no I don't mean be vague, I mean quite clearly state the facts of the exact case in point -- the safety aspect. Not why code ignores GFI protected generation. Strictly the safety aspect.
Ive stated my background. I’ve explained many many times why this is a bad idea, practically, legally, and morally.
what is your background?

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ive stated my background. I’ve explained many many times why this is a bad idea, practically, legally, and morally.
what is your background?
Well you made a claim, were given a chance to validate it, and deferred to your claim. I've yet to see you do anything other than make claims while failing to provide any dialogue of utility to the discussion at hand. Congratulations, you can copy and paste things anyone even remotely familiar with a search function can yield. I bestow upon you "master copypasta of nonconstructive information". You're welcome.
Sponsored