First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
I had to tow an "oversized" load today with my little, tiny F150 in “Tow/Haul” mode. And with 4x4 engaged, it tossed around that great big load, up & down the twisty mountain roads like a rag doll.

I was particularly impressed with the way the “Tow/Haul” mode made the transmission downshift to aid braking on the downhill runs.

Once it realized that I was slowing down, it kicked in and did its thing.

Pulling the hills made me worry about my trailer’s hitch because I was intentionally thrashing it to see what the truck was made of and it's apparently “made of” Kansas City Steel and aluminum.

VERY IMPRESSED!
Sponsored

Last edited:

HeadBanger

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 5.0
That's great to hear. I bought mine to tow a small camper and like to hear experiences like yours. I do have one question though... You mentioned that you were in 4X4 mode. I thought that being in four wheel drive on dry pavement was harmful to the transmission.
I had an all wheel drive ridgeline so never had to worry about it.

OP
OP
GEN14OWNER

GEN14OWNER

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
That's great to hear. I bought mine to tow a small camper and like to hear experiences like yours. I do have one question though... You mentioned that you were in 4X4 mode. I thought that being in four wheel drive on dry pavement was harmful to the transmission.
I had an all wheel drive ridgeline so never had to worry about it.
There’s no question that running your truck in 4H on dry pavement will cause wear & tear on your front wheel drive components.

But…

My 1st 4x4 was a 1978 Silverado “Full Time 4x4” that wasn’t even capable of Two-Wheel drive and it didn’t seem to have a problem running on dry pavement 100% of the time.
(I wouldn’t run my 2021 F150 in 4x4 100% of the time anyway)

And with the 100k/7-year Premium Care warranty, I’m not too concerned with “damage” since it will be FORD’S PROBLEM. I’d likely be ordering a 2023 already if they hadn’t deleted so many options and treated me like shit with my 2021 order.

I’ll NEVER buy another “Ford” product again!

I’ll keep having fun with my 2021 F150, beating the holy shit out of it (because THAT’S what you’re supposed to be able to do with a truck “Built Ford Tough”) and keep my eye on the progression of the next generation of EV 4x4 trucks.

I’d LOVE to have a Cybertruck as my next 4x4 but I’ll wait until they refine it or my truck hits 100K.

Whichever comes first!
Sponsored

Last edited: