First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 powerboost
Occupation
Sales Director
2021 Powerboost with 40,000 miles. Ford Premium Care extended warranty on the vehicle.

Ever since I purchased I have been telling the dealer there is a metallic rattle under the vehicle when I accelerate at lower speeds. It's noticeable and annoying, to which they said they "couldn't replicate it". Well they finally replicated it and had a tech drive my vehicle home with them but they checked with the shop foreman and said, "These trucks have loud transmissions" and it was similar to other vehicles they had and therefore wouldn't be fixed.

Any thoughts on how to proceed and get this fixed? It's incredibly embarrassing to own a $75,000 vehicle that rattles as I drive through the neighborhood. It sounds just like an exhaust heat shield smacking as it vibrates upon acceleration.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
2021 Powerboost with 40,000 miles. Ford Premium Care extended warranty on the vehicle.

Ever since I purchased I have been telling the dealer there is a metallic rattle under the vehicle when I accelerate at lower speeds. It's noticeable and annoying, to which they said they "couldn't replicate it". Well they finally replicated it and had a tech drive my vehicle home with them but they checked with the shop foreman and said, "These trucks have loud transmissions" and it was similar to other vehicles they had and therefore wouldn't be fixed.

Any thoughts on how to proceed and get this fixed? It's incredibly embarrassing to own a $75,000 vehicle that rattles as I drive through the neighborhood. It sounds just like an exhaust heat shield smacking as it vibrates upon acceleration.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Hello! Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this rattle concern. Thanks!

Severdog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport PB SuperCrew 6.5' 7.2Kw
Occupation
Trader
By chance you didn't add a cat shield/skidplate, did you? Just solved my rattle/racket as I found my Talon's Garage skidplate was lightly contacting the lower cat on the driver side. Problem solved. Only showed up at low speeds/low rpm. Can you isolate the sound of the noise, and does it only show when you are moving?

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
w/ my rear seats / rear cover off I'm able to hear noises from the air equalization vents that are on the back of the cab. I'm able to hear a tiny rattle at lower / chugging RPMs that sounds like it's on the exhaust.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
w/ my rear seats / rear cover off I'm able to hear noises from the air equalization vents that are on the back of the cab. I'm able to hear a tiny rattle at lower / chugging RPMs that sounds like it's on the exhaust.
Hey! I can take a closer look into your rattle concerns. Can you send us a direct message with your VIN and the dealer name/location?
Keem
Ford Social Media Team

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hey! I can take a closer look into your rattle concerns. Can you send us a direct message with your VIN and the dealer name/location?
Keem
Ford Social Media Team
Thanks but no thanks. I'd rather cling to the bottom of the truck and let a stranger drive it around as I listen to things before I waste time at a dealer that can't duplicate the problem. I have 2 21+ fords. Take for instance the poor AGM charging logic plaguing many of the trucks, ford is currently pretending doesn't exist. Furthermore anything w/ HVB battery present requires HV trained techs despite the overwhelmingly non HV issues any numbers of techs could resolve instead of waiting for that one tech who spends all of 3 minutes on claiming 'can't duplicate' while performing a reset on a module. I have FDRS, I can reset my own modules thank you very much.

Steve Briggs

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Hybrid
Occupation
Sales
Hello! Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this rattle concern. Thanks!
I have this EXACT same problem. Told the dealer at around 30K under warranty, they “couldn’t reproduce it”. Then after all sorts of other problems with the truck (including the dealer overfilling the transmission fluid and causing it to shift terribly for months…don’t get me started) I went back again and made the noise in the drop off area for them. They said it was some loose connection they fixed but it’s rattling again. I have premium care as well but think it’s garbage paying a deductible for something the dealer couldn’t fix when under warranty and now has failed to fix properly. I just can’t with this truck. It’s a $70K vehicle that rattles like a junker in parking lots. Embarrassing as hell.

doolin64

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Real estate
Pretty sure I have this rattle now. I can hear it a slow speeds and it reminds me of the rattle noise transmissions could have back in the day. I don't think it's my transmission though. I believe it's the heat shield going over my passenger side cat. You can hear a rattle when I bang the back the heat shield. If I hold the front of the shield over the cat, it's quiet. Skip to around 15 seconds to hear the rattle.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Pretty sure I have this rattle now. I can hear it a slow speeds and it reminds me of the rattle noise transmissions could have back in the day. I don't think it's my transmission though. I believe it's the heat shield going over my passenger side cat. You can hear a rattle when I bang the back the heat shield. If I hold the front of the shield over the cat, it's quiet. Skip to around 15 seconds to hear the rattle.

I hear a similar rattle every time I close a back door.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150

Hi there, John. This rattle concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your F-150. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation". I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.

OP
OP

F150Dave6868

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 powerboost
Occupation
Sales Director
Update:

Dealer had checked the rattle at 32,000 miles. Tech drove the car home and said he couldn't replicate it. I have proof and conversation of this.

I took it back in 3 days ago. Revved the engine in the service department and it was quite noticeable. They still couldn't replicate it when I left. They finally said they were able to hear it and now recommend the following:

"recommend replacing exhaust section containing heat exchanger". Not covered under warranty since vehicle has passed 36,000 and conveniently NOT covered under the Ford PremiumCare Maintenance Package.

They want $1,128.75 to eliminate a rattle on an $80,000 vehicle that is embarrassing to Ford and embarrassing to me to drive. I've never been so frustrated in my life with the dealer and Ford. All they do is argue back and forth about why neither of them are responsible for covering the issue rather than doing the right thing for the customer.

Ford F-150 Rattle on Low Speed Acceleration Ford

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Update:

Dealer had checked the rattle at 32,000 miles. Tech drove the car home and said he couldn't replicate it. I have proof and conversation of this.

I took it back in 3 days ago. Revved the engine in the service department and it was quite noticeable. They still couldn't replicate it when I left. They finally said they were able to hear it and now recommend the following:

"recommend replacing exhaust section containing heat exchanger". Not covered under warranty since vehicle has passed 36,000 and conveniently NOT covered under the Ford PremiumCare Maintenance Package.

They want $1,128.75 to eliminate a rattle on an $80,000 vehicle that is embarrassing to Ford and embarrassing to me to drive. I've never been so frustrated in my life with the dealer and Ford. All they do is argue back and forth about why neither of them are responsible for covering the issue rather than doing the right thing for the customer.
How coinvent that they finally confirmed a known failure post warranty despite it being complained about well within it. Ford should do the right thing, but they only pretend to care on public facing forums, isn't that right @Ford Motor Company

9663mu

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iconic F150
Guys that rattle noise is either the Resonator or the pipping connected to it. If you go under the truck and bang on the resonator ( when its hot or truck has been running for 10+ miles) you will hear the rattling. If you kind of hold down the resonator and bang it with another hand , the noise goes away . I took mine to the dealer on 2 different occasions, gave the video to the advisor of the noise and both times he came back and said they dont hear it.
Ford Service has really taken a huge hit lately. IMO Its Sad how bad things are . I would have taken the thing off already had i had a 5.0 but not a chance i would take it off my ECO as anything exhaust related to the ECO sounds like a wet fart
Sponsored