Sponsored

Rattle at 3200ish RPM?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0
i switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic (my old faithful oil) and it is mostly gone. It's still there if you really really listen but i would say 80% better.
That is comforting to know. Needless to say, it was quite concerning hearing it for the first time in a brand new truck. Though, it was reassuring seeing so many others experiencing the same noise.

I'll be doing it's first oil change shortly with some left over mobil 1 that I have and then will switch to ultra plat penzoil. Hopefully that helps as well.
Sponsored

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
That is comforting to know. Needless to say, it was quite concerning hearing it for the first time in a brand new truck. Though, it was reassuring seeing so many others experiencing the same noise.

I'll be doing it's first oil change shortly with some left over mobil 1 that I have and then will switch to ultra plat penzoil. Hopefully that helps as well.
I went for a ride along with my dealer and the three 5-0's that they had on the lot all did it. Not to say it's right or wrong, but it was closed as working as intended.

Now it only really does it a bit at very very light load. If i'm giving it any kind of go-juice it is completely quiet.

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
The rattle is supposedly the hood shaking on the latch/pads. My dealer said the resonance from this particular engine makes the hood shake and they’ve had to mess with several hoods to stop the noise under acceleration. Supposedly nothing powertrain related. It happened on my test drive of this truck, and they offered for me to drive another 5.0 and said it would likely do the same thing. When they took it into the shop to prep it for my delivery they did something to my hood because it has never done it again. The salesman just told me they “adjusted” the seats or something.

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The rattle is supposedly the hood shaking on the latch/pads. My dealer said the resonance from this particular engine makes the hood shake and they’ve had to mess with several hoods to stop the noise under acceleration. Supposedly nothing powertrain related. It happened on my test drive of this truck, and they offered for me to drive another 5.0 and said it would likely do the same thing. When they took it into the shop to prep it for my delivery they did something to my hood because it has never done it again. The salesman just told me they “adjusted” the seats or something.
This is transformational information…..

Which dealer do you go to??

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
This is transformational information…..

Which dealer do you go to??
My selling dealer was Basil Ford in Buffalo NY. Great dealership and very professional. Unfortunately they aren’t the closest Ford dealer to me so I typically don’t use them for service/parts purchases etc, but I prefer them to the other dealers in the area.

Other dealers have cracked this info too, I saw a thread on this same noise in Ford Truck Enthusiasts maybe 2-3 months ago and the persons dealer had to adjust the hood to stop the rapid vibrating at that rpm range.

Last edited:

Sponsored

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My selling dealer was Basil Ford in Buffalo NY. Great dealership and very professional. Unfortunately they aren’t the closest Ford dealer to me so I typically don’t use them for service/parts purchases etc, but I prefer them to the other dealers in the area.

Other dealers have cracked this info too, I saw a thread on this same noise in Ford Truck Enthusiasts maybe 2-3 months ago and the persons dealer had to adjust the hood to stop the rapid vibrating at that rpm range.
Awesome appreciate the info! Hopefully it helps some folks on here

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Awesome appreciate the info! Hopefully it helps some folks on here
Based on my test drives of the engines, Ford definitely purposely gives the 5.0 a more “raw” and loud feel under power. The muffler design is a straight pass through and the intake is designed so that you hear the induction noises. This creates a lot of extra harmonics and resonance that the other engines don’t make, and can cause some loose panels and plastic parts to vibrate.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0
This seems to have solved my rattle! I just adjusted the rubber hood stops on the left and right so that they contact the hood sooner when closing it. It must latch it more securely or dampen any vibration that is presented when accelerating.

Thanks!

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 5.0 (sold), 21 PB (sold), 22 5.0
Occupation
Gearhead!
I always noticed and thought this rattle was something around but not the engine. Heard on multiple 5.0's I've driven. I actually love it. Makes me feel like I'm driving a snot rod when I giver the beans.
Sponsored