Sponsored

Rate the new Bang & Olson 18 Speaker stereo.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I noticed this too but I changed the balance / fade to be on me the driver and the sounds improved. Not sure how it makes it sound for other people but other people aren't paying the loan...
IMO, you shouldn't have to resort to adjusting the fade/balance, surround or Stereo or worry about the source. It should just sound good.

Thankfully, I found that I don't care for the Leashed system with my Lariat. It was the one feature that would have pushed me into the Lightning Platinum, so it saved me ~$10k.
Sponsored

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
Around 20 to 24. Either through Android Auto, wireless or through the cable. Occasionally Sirius.

With the bose system I rarely was past half.
Same here. Nowhere near as much sound as the system in my 2019 RAM Laramie. To be fair, I haven't used much other than Sirius but still it's weird to be over 2/3rds volume and it's not overwhelming - even at max volume it sure didn't seem like 'max'. I definitely feel like there is something missing here . . . the sound quality is great, just not enough oomph behind it.

OP
OP

David Gordon

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Oilfield
That is really quite odd. Mine is too loud to talk over at about 6, and quite uncomfortable over 10. All sources are about the same, AM/FM/Sirius/AndroidAuto (Bluetooth)/and USB media.
Then for sure something is wrong with mine. I can play it full blast @ 30. 1/2 is about right for driving with my wife.

IrishFordGuy

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT PowerBoost
Occupation
Engineer
Just took delivery of new Platinum w/ 18 speakers.
Am I missing something? Is there a secret button on how to turn it up?
My 2020 GMC Denali w/ 6 speakers would handily blow the doors off this radio.
So would my nabors 2020 Dodge 1500.
I think there is a secret button hidden somewhere that takes it to max power. I cannot find it.

I give this stereo 2 stars out of 5
If you are streaming through your phone make sure phone media volume is turned up

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Just took delivery of new Platinum w/ 18 speakers.
Am I missing something? Is there a secret button on how to turn it up?
My 2020 GMC Denali w/ 6 speakers would handily blow the doors off this radio.
So would my nabors 2020 Dodge 1500.
I think there is a secret button hidden somewhere that takes it to max power. I cannot find it.

I give this stereo 2 stars out of 5
I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet..Have you gone into the options in your Sync4 system and turned your audio to 'Surround'? My was off when I took delivery, so if yours if off, turning it on will make a huge difference.

I'm also baffled at the volume others say they have their systems at. I only run mine at 7-8 is plenty loud (like 25% of total). I don't even know how you could sit in the truck with it any louder than 10...maybe I just have really sensitive ears...or these systems have some major quality issues.

Sponsored

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
I think the people who don’t like this system are people who like loud music. Complaints always seem to be about volume and distortion/rattle at high volume.
I have a very broad taste in music (basically listen to all genres except pop and pop country) and have found the stereo to hold up quite well with lots of different types of music. Detail is quite good (though as others note audio source does matter). IMHO system also does poorly with windows open.
If you are the type of person that prefers volume to detail then this system isn’t for you. Buy some 15” subs and a loud amp if that is what you want. If you prefer listening at reasonable volumes and like some detail and clarity I would say it’s a good car audio system. I haven’t ridden in many recent luxury vehicles but I’m sure it can’t compare to what you are going to get in a high end Mercedes setup (there is too much cabin noise to really compare) but it’s a solid system that will compete with any other similar upgraded audio, and is significantly better than any factory audio, IMHO.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I think the people who don’t like this system are people who like loud music. Complaints always seem to be about volume and distortion/rattle at high volume.
I have a very broad taste in music (basically listen to all genres except pop and pop country) and have found the stereo to hold up quite well with lots of different types of music. Detail is quite good (though as others note audio source does matter). IMHO system also does poorly with windows open.
If you are the type of person that prefers volume to detail then this system isn’t for you. Buy some 15” subs and a loud amp if that is what you want. If you prefer listening at reasonable volumes and like some detail and clarity I would say it’s a good car audio system. I haven’t ridden in many recent luxury vehicles but I’m sure it can’t compare to what you are going to get in a high end Mercedes setup (there is too much cabin noise to really compare) but it’s a solid system that will compete with any other similar upgraded audio, and is significantly better than any factory audio, IMHO.
I like loud music, but not to the point I need 15's. But that doesn't take away, that even in surround mode, there is a wall of sound directly in front of you with no stereo effect whatsoever. And to your reference to detail, even with the highs all the way up, the higher frequencies are muddy and not clear.

Like I said in my previous post, the B&O system in my wifes 2020 Edge is great, and that is hardly a "loud music" system.

OP
OP

David Gordon

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Oilfield
I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet..Have you gone into the options in your Sync4 system and turned your audio to 'Surround'? My was off when I took delivery, so if yours if off, turning it on will make a huge difference.

I'm also baffled at the volume others say they have their systems at. I only run mine at 7-8 is plenty loud (like 25% of total). I don't even know how you could sit in the truck with it any louder than 10...maybe I just have really sensitive ears...or these systems have some major quality issues.
At 30 it is loud, but not half as loud as my 2020 Denali Bose system.

OP
OP

David Gordon

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Oilfield
I thought it has a sub?

Sponsored

OnceAnEagle

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150 Lariat Supercab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Put mine in surround and fidgeted with the settings to have a bit more midrange and bass than treble. Sounds fine. In 2015, B&O sold their car stereo division to Harmon of Harmon Kardon fame, merging their tech but allowing the B &O name to be used.

Slade

First Name
Slade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
Attorney
I agree that it is better than factory audio. It is, as I said quite clear. That being said the volume is not, at least for me and in my truck immersive when driving with the windows down. My other system was.

My stock system in a 2015 Silverado was louder, but the quality at a loud volume (or a reasonable volume) was awful. The quality of this system is great I grant you that. You just can't have the windows down and be going faster than 25 and expect to hear much if it, for me and in my vehicle.

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
To me it's just an ok system but I had only listened to my local NPR until about 2 weeks ago. One day I said hey, I spent an extra $700 for what is supposed to be an upgraded system but I haven't even tried it. So when I'm not listening to NPR I have been only listening to local stations which I suppose is an unfair assessment however I do not see a significant upgrade in sound in the B&O Unleashed and the standard stereo system in my 2002 F150 with the cd changer/cassette player. At least not a $700 improvement plus of course there is no cd player at all.

HCFX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat BAP
It's not bad. It's not comparable to a B&O in a Mercedes that costs $5,000 to upgrade to. Or even a Revel II in a Lincoln but for $800 it's a good upgrade over the 8 speaker. I would get it again.
Sponsored