Sponsored

Raptor vs Powerboost Lariat Sport thoughts?

Steve Schott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GTI
Hi first time poster here and I found this forum to be incredibly helpful in arriving at this question.

I’m considering the above 2 trucks. We will see if I remove the primary wife-oy obstacle but assuming I do, here are my thoughts and I ask you all for your much better informed opinions.

Background. I don’t need this truck for my job or towing. I would use it to haul some tools or goods but realistically it will most often be my choice for long trips 6-7 times a year I take 6-7 hour each way trips sometimes to snowy places and my short hops commuting or making my life easier throwing my bikes in the back. I am unlikely to do serious off roading though I will take it on some rougher gravel and dirt roads a few times a year much more happily and it will see some occasional big snows. I will work in it on my computer a lot. Will often have a big dog inside. Annually I put 10K or less on a car.

Powerboost Lariat Sport. I test drove the Platinum version of this truck and loved the drive. Smooth. Transmission skipped gears a few times at low speeds which was annoying but I loved the pickup and interior. Like the hybrid and option for 7.2 kw to power my wife’s ev Bolt or house in a pinch. I prefer the sport lariat (not super crazy about 2 tone interior but I do like it). Didn’t like: The look is great but compared to the raptor, it comes in distant second.

Raptor. I’ve never driven this car but damn does it look awesome. Ridden in one and enjoyed the ride. I mean seriously this car looks amazing. Didn’t like: doesn’t have the 7.2 kw generator (2.4 is good but not the same). Baby drinks some petrol but given my low yearly mileage it probably doesn’t matter that much, though it does matter to me…mpg is not my primary concern but I do care about it in the big picture. I would never be using this gorgeous beast in the way it was intended to be used driving on sand and off road.

What they both have that I like. Handle great. 5.5 foot bed is good for me. Safety tech excellent. Bluecruise is something I will love on long trips. Interior comfort is killer.

If Ford had a PHEV F-150, I’d leap that to the top but that’s not here yet.

Anyways I’d love your thoughts.
Sponsored

Jonas101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Hi first time poster here and I found this forum to be incredibly helpful in arriving at this question.

I’m considering the above 2 trucks. We will see if I remove the primary wife-oy obstacle but assuming I do, here are my thoughts and I ask you all for your much better informed opinions.

Background. I don’t need this truck for my job or towing. I would use it to haul some tools or goods but realistically it will most often be my choice for long trips 6-7 times a year I take 6-7 hour each way trips sometimes to snowy places and my short hops commuting or making my life easier throwing my bikes in the back. I am unlikely to do serious off roading though I will take it on some rougher gravel and dirt roads a few times a year much more happily and it will see some occasional big snows. I will work in it on my computer a lot. Will often have a big dog inside. Annually I put 10K or less on a car.

Powerboost Lariat Sport. I test drove the Platinum version of this truck and loved the drive. Smooth. Transmission skipped gears a few times at low speeds which was annoying but I loved the pickup and interior. Like the hybrid and option for 7.2 kw to power my wife’s ev Bolt or house in a pinch. I prefer the sport lariat (not super crazy about 2 tone interior but I do like it). Didn’t like: The look is great but compared to the raptor, it comes in distant second.

Raptor. I’ve never driven this car but damn does it look awesome. Ridden in one and enjoyed the ride. I mean seriously this car looks amazing. Didn’t like: doesn’t have the 7.2 kw generator (2.4 is good but not the same). Baby drinks some petrol but given my low yearly mileage it probably doesn’t matter that much, though it does matter to me…mpg is not my primary concern but I do care about it in the big picture. I would never be using this gorgeous beast in the way it was intended to be used driving on sand and off road.

What they both have that I like. Handle great. 5.5 foot bed is good for me. Safety tech excellent. Bluecruise is something I will love on long trips. Interior comfort is killer.

If Ford had a PHEV F-150, I’d leap that to the top but that’s not here yet.

Anyways I’d love your thoughts.
After reading your post, it seems you are leaning toward the Lariat powerboost. I have this exact truck, and you can outfit it to perform similarly to the raptor if you want through suspension, wheels/tires, etc. On the flip side, you cannot outfit a raptor to do powerboost things (7.2kw, mpg, etc.)

I also use my trucks to make long trips in, and the performance and mpgs are what sold me on it. As a bonus, it really has no business being as fast as it is. With the battery assistance off the line, turbo lag is non-existent. Rumors are they are underrated by Ford and it makes sense as they would be undervaluing the Raptor if they didn't.

The prestige of the raptor and resale value down the line cannot be beat though. Bottom line for me is I'm extremely happy with my truck, and it checks all the boxes I need.

Ford F-150 Raptor vs Powerboost Lariat Sport thoughts? 20210720_171001

OP
OP

Steve Schott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GTI
After reading your post, it seems you are leaning toward the Lariat powerboost. I have this exact truck, and you can outfit it to perform similarly to the raptor if you want through suspension, wheels/tires, etc. On the flip side, you cannot outfit a raptor to do powerboost things (7.2kw, mpg, etc.)

I also use my trucks to make long trips in, and the performance and mpgs are what sold me on it. As a bonus, it really has no business being as fast as it is. With the battery assistance off the line, turbo lag is non-existent. Rumors are they are underrated by Ford and it makes sense as they would be undervaluing the Raptor if they didn't.

The prestige of the raptor and resale value down the line cannot be beat though. Bottom line for me is I'm extremely happy with my truck, and it checks all the boxes I need.

20210720_171001.jpg
Great looking truck.

The Powerboost is likely the truck I’ll get. As far as outfitting with grill/wheels/etc, I don’t see myself spending a ton of money on top of the cost of the new truck. (Though that temptation would always be there.)

I had not thought about resale differences so thank you for bringing that up as a factor to consider. I’d like to keep this for a long time but I feel sure that the inevitable PHEV that will come is a truck I’d get and keep for a looooong time.

Do you see the heat skipping? I was surprised by this in my test drive and see it discussed here. It’s not a huge issue fir me but still I was surprised by it.

Jonas101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Great looking truck.

The Powerboost is likely the truck I’ll get. As far as outfitting with grill/wheels/etc, I don’t see myself spending a ton of money on top of the cost of the new truck. (Though that temptation would always be there.)

I had not thought about resale differences so thank you for bringing that up as a factor to consider. I’d like to keep this for a long time but I feel sure that the inevitable PHEV that will come is a truck I’d get and keep for a looooong time.

Do you see the heat skipping? I was surprised by this in my test drive and see it discussed here. It’s not a huge issue fir me but still I was surprised by it.
Do you mean the transmission? Mine was dealer stock and I had a deposit down, so when it was delivered, I was the only one to drive it.

Since the trans computer learns your driving style over time, mine wasn't tainted by test drives and different styles. It learned how I drive and it's been flawless so far.

This is only a theory I have about the trans issues that pop up occasionally with the 10 speed. There's so many different engines that Ford offers in this truck and they do their best to making the 1 trans they offer shift properly. I would imagine bugs will pop up occasionally. You can always re-flash and start the learning over again.

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
they all do it under light throttle, 1st to 3rd I guess ford thinks 2nd is not needed to maintain momentum.

Sponsored

Neuby77

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 f150, 2003 cobra
I think I’m in your exact shoes an I chose the powerboost lariat. The motor and the generator made the final decision for me.

Shooter56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Lawyer
Powerboost Lariat here. About 6500 total miles with about 1400 towing. Previous trucks: 1998 V10 Ram 1500, 2001 F250 7.3l, 2009, Ram 3500 Cummins diesel and 2015 F 150 Lariat, all great trucks for their intended use, but the 2021 Powerboost Lariat is the most versatile and unique truck I’ve ever owned, or even heard of, for that matter. It tows and powers my trailer, great daily driver with decent gas mileage, very comfortable for long rides, put it in sport mode and you’re close to Raptor power and acceleration. It really is 3 different trucks in one.
Maybe I’m lucky, but I’ve not had the shifting issues others speak of. I did pay close attention to my driving habits early on because I was aware of the concept of “training” the vehicle for the way you drive, but I don’t know how much that affected the shifting now. The gear changes are less noticeable in sport mode, however. I also use the Pro Power for more than powering the trailer. I use it for charging tool batteries, blowing off the sidewalk and parking area in front of my office, and in a couple of weeks, I’ll have it at a college football game for a tailgate, so I expect I’ll find some use for there as well. I know the beer will be cold. Everyone’s wants and needs are different, but for me the Lariat Powerboost was a clear no brainer decision. It is an absolute game changer for camping with a trailer, the rest of the benefits and features like a big bonus.

Good luck with your decision.

OP
OP

Steve Schott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GTI
Thank you all. Powerboost is what it will be. I’m going to sit on my order for just a few more months to see if a PHEV is in any way in the works or if the painful price war abates a little but you’ve all verified my gut feel.

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
PHEV from Ford will be at least 3 years away I would guess. PreOrders on Lightening are so high, Ford wouldn’t want PHEV F150s eating into the available $7500 tax credits.

Sponsored

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
I would've loved to have a Raptor, but have you seen the prices lately? The mark ups on the new ones are so high, they aren't really comparable to normal F150's in price . In my area I'm seeing used 2018-19's going for over $60K with over 50K miles. New ones are hard to find and if you do find one it may be over $100K. For that money I'll take the Powerboost every time.

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
The powerboost is actually faster than the raptor.
Yep, and it's a common misconception that the Raptor is the fastest F-150 in general. Even last gen before the PB launched, the HO 3.5L in the Platinum or Limited, forget which, was also faster. The increased height, weight, and heavy tires on the Raptor were rolling evidence of how HP and TQ numbers in a vacuum aren't everything.

If you don't have reason for high speed desert running, the Raptor doesn't offer any tangible benefits over the in many ways more capable Lariat PowerBoost, which will be faster, easier to find, and better cost vs features.

The Raptor is absolutely outstanding, but if you aren't doing Raptor... stuff... then you are actually worse off than just an F-150 FX4.

spizike9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150, Lariat, Powerboost, FX4
Powerboost Lariat here. About 6500 total miles with about 1400 towing. Previous trucks: 1998 V10 Ram 1500, 2001 F250 7.3l, 2009, Ram 3500 Cummins diesel and 2015 F 150 Lariat, all great trucks for their intended use, but the 2021 Powerboost Lariat is the most versatile and unique truck I’ve ever owned, or even heard of, for that matter. It tows and powers my trailer, great daily driver with decent gas mileage, very comfortable for long rides, put it in sport mode and you’re close to Raptor power and acceleration. It really is 3 different trucks in one.
Maybe I’m lucky, but I’ve not had the shifting issues others speak of. I did pay close attention to my driving habits early on because I was aware of the concept of “training” the vehicle for the way you drive, but I don’t know how much that affected the shifting now. The gear changes are less noticeable in sport mode, however. I also use the Pro Power for more than powering the trailer. I use it for charging tool batteries, blowing off the sidewalk and parking area in front of my office, and in a couple of weeks, I’ll have it at a college football game for a tailgate, so I expect I’ll find some use for there as well. I know the beer will be cold. Everyone’s wants and needs are different, but for me the Lariat Powerboost was a clear no brainer decision. It is an absolute game changer for camping with a trailer, the rest of the benefits and features like a big bonus.

Good luck with your decision.
The power boost is faster than a Raptor. That being said the Raptor has bigger tires and is lifted so I’m sure that plays a factor.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
You can't get as much clearance as a Raptor and also get decent mileage: the limiting factor for fuel economy in these trucks at highway speeds is drag, and lifts are the best way to increase drag.

You might also look for the Ranger Powerboost.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Raptors are great but they are less efficient, and don’t have Blue Cruise or the generator. I have a Lariat 502a with chrome and PVD wheels and love it. It’s a pretty fast truck and it’s a great commuting vehicle. I added better tires for the snow and Bilsteins and am really happy. Blue Cruise is invaluable for commuting, I wouldn’t want the truck without it.
Sponsored