First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Long story short: A buddy of mine upgraded the intercooler on his Raptor to an aftermarket one and he is selling me his OEM one for dirt cheap along with an aftermarket BOV that he also replaced for a different one. I have PTS, but I am not sure how to access the section to look up the part numbers to see if they are different.

Does anyone know if swapping out the intercooler on my truck for the one from a Raptor is an upgrade? Even if it is a minor upgrade, I would do it seeing that I am getting it for really cheap.
Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
out on a limb
i just want to see what comes up. they are different part numbers, but .......there is only so much room in the engine bay.

OP
OP
rugedraw

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Ok, so that's good. If the P/N is different, then the IC's have to be different. I think I'm just going to buy the parts. At the price I am getting it, I can re-sell it on ebay anyway and not lose anything.

Still curious about how much of an upgrade it is, so if anyone has feedback on that, please chime in.

StoneGray22

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 SCREW, 500A, 3.5 EB, 4x4, Max Tow, 157"
Likely not much help here: but I've been watching the IC upgrade threads around the forum. Seems like general consensus is no noticeable changes in performance with IC upgrade alone. But, based on the changes in temperature and airflow amount through the engine, it has to do something... I'm sure when paired with other upgrades (exhaust, intake, tune), improvements should be even more noticeable. Anything to get more, and cooler air through the engine should result in increased performance.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
Likely not much help here: but I've been watching the IC upgrade threads around the forum. Seems like general consensus is no noticeable changes in performance with IC upgrade alone. But, based on the changes in temperature and airflow amount through the engine, it has to do something... I'm sure when paired with other upgrades (exhaust, intake, tune), improvements should be even more noticeable. Anything to get more, and cooler air through the engine should result in increased performance.
If the engine isn't tuned to take advantage of the upgrades then it amounts to nothing. A bigger, more efficient intercooler just means that intakes temps stay lower for a longer amount of time. Not that they are colder than the factory I/C.

I'm considering an I/C upgrade because I tow a lot and have more heat to reject. It's not about MORE power, it's about losing less of it to heat.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rugedraw

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
I tow my boat occasionally, and my truck is tuned with a full exhaust and CAI. And, I live in hot south Florida weather. I'd like to upgrade the IC for all reasons mentioned with more power at the bottom of the list. I don't tow enough to warrant a $1k IC upgrade, but if I can upgrade it and get BOV that makes cool turbo noises for a few hundred dollars, I'm all in.

Natetroknot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 3.5 302A
I’ve watched a few things about intercooler upgrades online and it seems the general consensus is that the aftermarket ones don’t increase peak performance numbers, but they do greatly increase the sustainability of them…..meaning intake temps stay cooler much longer than with the stock setup. Interested in seeing the size difference with the Raptor version.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
Before messing around with changing the intercooler, I'd like a good way to get the license plate out of the way without losing a tow hook.

StoneGray22

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 SCREW, 500A, 3.5 EB, 4x4, Max Tow, 157"

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
Before messing around with changing the intercooler, I'd like a good way to get the license plate out of the way without losing a tow hook.
Laughs in no-front-plate

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost CCSB
Ha, me too. But, i do like the protection from road debris provided by the current location for the IC and radiator.

Check out this post on the tremor forum:

https://www.f150tremor.com/threads/front-license-plate-relocation.670/post-25947

Built right also sells a relocation bracket, but its a bit more expensive than the DIY amazon version:
https://builtrightind.com/products/ford-license-plate-mount-ford-f-150-2021
Ford F-150 Raptor intercooler in a non-Raptor EcoBoost questions 106111_ford_f150_lprk_1_1400_1800x1800.progressive

Sponsored