Sponsored

RAMCharger has been announced. The Hybrid Ford should be building.....

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
I don't know if the Ramcharger will be available in a 2WD Reg Cab 8' box configuration for fleet buyers and this max payload reflects that truck...
Note that all RAMcharger's have 4WD as they use two motors, one for each axle front / rear. There's no hint at all of a 2WD version.

IMO, and it's only IMO, it's most likely that this truck will be introduced with relatively upmarket trims and equipment aimed at the heart of the consumer market, not fleet buyers.
Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
It’s not a Hybrid.

FirstTimeFrank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
This RAMCharger is the most compelling competition to the Powerboost. Curious how real world MPG plays out when towing/hauling. The weight savings from not having an ICE transmission gave RAM a lot of leeway for increasing the battery size.

Babbage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 3.5 XLT 302A FX4 PP2K 36GAL TOW
Occupation
Wild horse rider
" With the 27-gallon gas tank and battery full, Ram claims the Ramcharger can travel up to 690 miles without a pit stop. Of course, that nearly 700-mile estimate probably isn't based on sustained highway speeds, where electric-powered vehicles aren't nearly as efficient as they are in stop-and-go traffic. "

I can get 700 now highway. 20mpg x 36 = 720
I know I can get this because I drove 635 miles in 9:17 (67.3 mph average) AVERAGE was 21 MPG -- with 700 pounds in truck with AC on.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
Last edited:

Sponsored

PowerBoostSoCal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariet Powerboost
Just like a Chevy Volt set up - plug in to charge battery if you want, use the ICE engine to charge the battery and add juice to the motors when needed. Interesting, but from what I saw will be a VERY heavy 1/2 ton truck - 8 lug wheels. I bet the cheapo version would land at $69K and the tarted up version at $110K.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
"Hybrid" without further specification is an increasingly meaningless term given the many different powertrain approaches in this evolving arena.

It's an e-REV (electric Range Extended Vehicle)

But there's gonna be a never-ending bunch of semantic misconstruction and confusion in this arena.
Copy that. Very different from the Powerboost.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
Just like a Chevy Volt set up - plug in to charge battery if you want, use the ICE engine to charge the battery and add juice to the motors when needed. Interesting, but from what I saw will be a VERY heavy 1/2 ton truck - 8 lug wheels. I bet the cheapo version would land at $69K and the tarted up version at $110K.
Interesting approach 😊

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
RAM REV 1500 = BEV (battery-powered electric vehicle) like the Lightning and all TESLAs.

RAMCharger = EREV (Extended range battery-powered vehicle) like the Chevy Volt and ?

Powerboost = HWT (Heaven with tires)

*j/k
PB = HEV (Hybrid electric vehicle)

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Note that all RAMcharger's have 4WD as they use two motors, one for each axle front / rear. There's no hint at all of a 2WD version.

IMO, and it's only IMO, it's most likely that this truck will be introduced with relatively upmarket trims and equipment aimed at the heart of the consumer market, not fleet buyers.
Not a direct call out from Ram, but in their reveal video, at the 8:14 mark, the narrator comments 'two-wheel drive, four-wheel drive, whatever's optimal for efficiency'. Interesting enough at the 3:08 mark when he is discussing the REV electrical engine (same engines), the narrator comments 'and the one up front (electrical engine) includes an automatic disconnect, which allows to spin freely, increasing efficiency,..."

So for now, I'm very hopeful that this RAM 'ev' platform will have some sort of on-demand/toggable 2/4WD.

Also, this video cap shows Two/Four wheel metrics (obviously probably generated by AI)

Ford F-150 RAMCharger has been announced. The Hybrid Ford should be building..... 1699381324738

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
They advertise that the RamCharger can power a home... Hope they don't make the same mistake Ford did in making the F-150 PowerBoost a bonded neutral generator...

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
Not a direct call out from Ram, but in their reveal video, at the 8:14 mark, the narrator comments 'two-wheel drive, four-wheel drive, whatever's optimal for efficiency'. Interesting enough at the 3:08 mark when he is discussing the REV electrical engine (same engines), the narrator comments 'and the one up front (electrical engine) includes an automatic disconnect, which allows to spin freely, increasing efficiency,..."
Yes, those are operating modes for the 'nominally 4WD' drivetrain (akin to my Lariat's 4A mode), not hinting a 2WD-only model as I think @780 was questioning.

IF the RAMcharger system is as sophisticated and smart as is might be, then IMO there's no reason to have a user-operated toggle to force 2WD only mode. It might all function wonderfully and effectively as a sophisticated and smart "AWD" vehicle, sending power where needed as needed while maintaining optimum efficiency and traction. And without the weight and complexity of mechanical components to achieve that.

We'll see ....

Last edited:

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
I've stated multiple times that I was baffled by the fact that the Powerboost was entering its 3rd year, and now 4th year, without anyone else stepping up to the new plate the Powerboost established.

Well no more!

On paper, at least, I'm VERY intrigued. Absolutely love the concept. Definitely has my attention!

Ok Ford, volley time. 😁
PB V2 should be a beast.
Sponsored