Sponsored

Ram 1500 REV Revealed πŸ“Έ Reservation placers β€” Join others here πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
I very likely would trade in my F150 for a REV, once the range extender is offered.

Before purchasing my '21 Limited just last week, I test drove a Powerboost and a Lightning but one obvious thing I'd point out is that with the high cost of the Lightning, just the difference in cost to a similar spec ICE, would pay for at least a decade of fuel if not 25 years of fuel. The $94K Lighting I drove looked like an XLT spec, at best, to me.

So, in addition to the inconvenience, you don't actually save any money. This technology has a ways to go.

That said, i've ordered a Lyriq EV for my wife and as a run around DD it'll be perfect.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
A Platinum Lightning looked like an XLT?

I've driven a Lariat Lightning and there's a noticeable upscale to the whole truck, interior and exterior, to an XLT ICE. As there should be.

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5
Yeah, it's the F150 lightning approach, except it's not due out until Q4 2024...... as a 2025. Curious when ford will refresh the lightning. W/out the means to boost range via petrol, these version of trucks are useless if you bought the truck to do truck things like tow.
Ram has the better looking front end (but thats not hard since the Lightning is literally the worst looking front end on a truck due to the headlights), but I cant figure out why they both have terrible tail lights.

Sponsored

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
If I had a Lightning parked next to my Powerboost in the barn every morning, I'd take the Lightning almost every single day.
Well sure. But I didn't buy my PB to drive to town. It's why I have my VW Diesel. If I moved to California I would totally get an EV as a daily and keep the PB as my tow rig/onsite generator.

But even as a DD EV, the Lightning is still kinda crap. It's HUGE. And heavy. A waste of electricity IMO. And then there's the cost...

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Ram has the better looking front end (but thats not hard since the Lightning is literally the worst looking front end on a truck due to the headlights), but I cant figure out why they both have terrible tail lights.
By the time the ram comes out, the new lightning will be closer to release than the ram is now. It's a 2025 after all.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Talking to a handful of company fleet managers, it seems like the Lightning fits their needs for local big city travel. Its not quite apparent the save on fuel costs vs. electricity. One of the big elevator companies had 20K Lightnings delivered.
Well elevator companies have trucks in case they need to use the bed. It's like the power companies with guys that run around in trucks simply for the 4WD. They've got loads of light duty pickups and I never see them with anything in the bed, let alone towing. They'd all be better off w/ vans, but managers don't want to run around in 4wd enclosed grocery getters when they can run around in 4wd open grocery getters.

Electric makes significant sense for anyone w/ local fleets. Especially as seeing how the SE US utility will sell you power for 3.5 cents kWh OTD from 11p to 7a. 8 hours on a 50a charger is 240 miles of 70mph range in a lightning. 3k miles a month is $520 in fuel at $3.3/g, or $52 in electrons. The vehicles pay for themselves in fuel savings alone. Factor in maintenance, especially for those w/ dedicated facilities and well you need fewer employees.

What doesn't make sense is for the average contractor that pulls his 6klb box trailer up to 60 miles for a job. EVs can't cover that. Now someone that doesn't need to pull a trailer changes things, but at the same time it limits what jobs they can take. They'll always be range limited in what they can do. Not smart for today's economy.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Relative to all-electric options, it's not just towing, it's general range anxiety and charge time issues. I recently rented a Tesla in Colorado to try it out. Drove nicely, quiet, etc.
But it was cold, and range dropped quickly. And while it recharged pretty fast when I was hooked to a Tesla supercharger, those aren't everywhere, and it was disappointing with regular chargers. Two hours on a Chargepoint charger got me only about 10%. That's terrible.
Basically until the tech is better, I just don't see it being an option for long-distance driving, particularly in cold weather. Unless you're willing to spend a huge amount of time waiting around.
So while I'd get an electric car or truck, it would only be as an around town commuter. And since I'd want a truck for longer camping/vacation trips (towing or not), seems silly to get an inefficient second one for kicking around town.
Cold is an EV range killer, but it's mitigatable. Cold batteries have less energy. However with the vehicle plugged in it will warm the battery and they stay warm for hours. The means of heating the cabin also contribute to loss. Best to use seat heaters and 68f air temp setting. As for charging, that was just a poor charger. My portable charger puts 10%/hr of range into my MME that's got a larger battery than the tesla so 2 hours is 20%, and it supports up to another 20% of charging capability to make it ~12%/hr.

Owning an EV requires a bit more knowledge than an ICE, but it's more than made up for what you don't need to know. No ICE/Trans/fuel system to deal with. The brakes can easily last 250k miles or more as well -- not only are they not used, you should occasionally engage in heavy braking to make sure they're cleaned off (they could program this in pretty easy). Pretty much the only thing you do to EVs is charge them and change the tires.

WestlakeHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 (on order)
We have a Tesla Model S. It is a terrific commuter car, and we use it alot.

To be frank, the Powerboost is a great middle ground and much more practical if you want to go on a roadtrip or tow. I don't see $30K premium (or more) for the Lightning as a great buy.

Sponsored

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Limited in Star White.
The Lightning or any truck EV would probably satisfy 90% of my needs. 300 miles of range on a good day would be fine for most of my trips, but that isn't enough capacity in winter for some trips that I take that are 100+ each way in the middle of nowhere.

I don't have a desire to have multiple vehicles for their own purpose, I'd rather have one good overall vehicle. I hope they come out with an enhanced Powerboost because that seems like the current sweet spot for me. Whether they can make that a plug in hybrid or maybe bump the current electric range up compared to the current version.

We'll see how range play out in the next few years for EVs. The cost difference between an ICE vs EV is pretty big. I get free charging at my current job when I work so that would save me a few dollars

Reactions: 780

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
But even as a DD EV, the Lightning is still kinda crap. It's HUGE. And heavy. A waste of electricity IMO. And then there's the cost...
Huge?
It's the same size as the F150.
It's an F150.
F150's appear to be daily drivers for millions.

There's more $80-90k ICE pickup trucks around my parts than you can shake a stick at. And the European SUV's that are more than $100k are at nearly every traffic stop.

I realize not everyone would want an electric F150, but size and price are about what one would expect?

Chevrolet's electric pickup is going to be the same size, and they already stated it would cross the $100k line out of the gate. (top trim)

Ram looks just as big as the F150 and Silverado. Bet it fetches similar prices.

I think that's all we have to choose from for the foreseeable future, other than Rivian.

EV trucks, that is.

Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
Well it's another butt ugly Ram I have no interest in. I have been seeing a lot of the Silverado EVs that are supposed to be out this fall. I live near the GM proving grounds and the mules are out daily, this is another ugly truck, has the bed spoiler near the cab so its looks like an updated Avalanche which was also an ugly truck.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
One of the features you get when you have an EV. You get pushed notifications like this....

Ford F-150 Ram 1500 REV Revealed πŸ“Έ Reservation placers β€” Join others here πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ 1676348001165

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
The F150 is MASSIVE. It's as big as, or possibly bigger than, my 2000 F350. And that was an 8' box. It's literally the one thing I think my 2019 Ranger did better than my PB. Be smaller.

F150's appear to be daily drivers for millions.
Yes, and?
I'm just saying that I don't want to DD one.
Sponsored