First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Retired, Part Time Consultant
The two advantages I have found with the NAV on the 12 inch screen is (1) you can expand the Sync 4 NAV to cover the whole screen and (2) you get a pictorial depiction of turns on the instrument cluster right in front of you using the Sync nave. You don’t get either feature using the various phone NAV programs.
Also on interstate if you tap the ramp button on the bottom ribbon (on the right) it shows the upcoming exits. You can tap on an exit and it shows gas, food, etc.
Sponsored

TxTech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
Yeah, but if you didn't have Nav with the larger screen you got no screen or a small non-color version. I know it's different now though, just saying in the not to distant past.

So we can play movies from our phone and have them play on the truck screen now? That's cool
Cant speak for Android Auto but unfortunately you can’t play movies in my experience. While it uses the apps on your phone it is a different UI and has to be supported by the app/CarPlay UI. At this time I don’t think there is any support for video apps.

Touchdwn

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited Power-Boost; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Corporate Pilot; retired Air Traffic Controller
Also on interstate if you tap the ramp button on the bottom ribbon (on the right) it shows the upcoming exits. You can tap on an exit and it shows gas, food, etc.
I didn’t know about that. Thanks.

Crapblaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Some of this new tech sounds good. But it still needs some polish. I took ~400 mile trip yesterday and the intelligent cruise would read the signs on the service road. You would be cruising along at 75 mph and all of a sudden the brakes would be coming on and slowing to 55. It worked the same on the service roads, going along at 55 and all of a sudden it wants to go 75 since the sign was in between the 2 roads. The lane keep could use a thin capacitive ring or some other way to sense hands on the wheel. Jiggling the wheel ever 15 seconds gets old quick.

Sponsored

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Yeah, but if you didn't have Nav with the larger screen you got no screen or a small non-color version. I know it's different now though, just saying in the not to distant past.

So we can play movies from our phone and have them play on the truck screen now? That's cool

I haven't been able to cast any movies onto the 12" screen with any Android apps. Waze isn't SYNC4 capable. Also, this might be a huge distraction if the truck is in motion.

Touchdwn

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited Power-Boost; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Corporate Pilot; retired Air Traffic Controller
Some of this new tech sounds good. But it still needs some polish. I took ~400 mile trip yesterday and the intelligent cruise would read the signs on the service road. You would be cruising along at 75 mph and all of a sudden the brakes would be coming on and slowing to 55. It worked the same on the service roads, going along at 55 and all of a sudden it wants to go 75 since the sign was in between the 2 roads. The lane keep could use a thin capacitive ring or some other way to sense hands on the wheel. Jiggling the wheel ever 15 seconds gets old quick.
I’ve experienced the same thing. In parts of the metroplex it will read the 75 sign on the express lane but then slow down again a quarter mile later when it reads the 65 or 70 mile sign on the right hand side of the highway. It will also read a temporary construction sign and slow down, which I think is a good thing.

brnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat

I doubt either Carplay or AA allow video content, for safety reasons ☹

SFD9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor, 2021 f-150 on order
Occupation
Self
Pretty sure every sync Version with a Nav screen came with a free trial of weather. Use to be an XM feed with all sorts of stuff. Gas & Diesel prices for stations ahead, Current traffic & detours, sports scores for pretty much any pro or college team, Local ski hill conditions, I think it even had theaters near you with the movie listings.
This tornado alert popped up one day driving on I-35 when my ‘10 Lariat was new.

Ford F-150 Radar map -- a feature some don't know about in 2021 F-150 8EC04AC5-B3DD-4280-B1BB-8754C3C6948B

cghall77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Usually manufactures do not have any video playback capabilities on the main screen for safety reasons. I know on our VW Atlas we were able to override that and get movies displaying up on the stereo, used it for one weekend and haven't used it since.

Sponsored

ddfarmer

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350
I get that everyone loves google maps. They are easy, and on everyone's phone. And you can't beat "free". But anyone who truly understands mapping, knows that the Google maps (while convenient) is actually a late comer to the mapping game. Other companies, have been developing maps and doing routing for years, better detailed, better quality, and far more accurate than google. Garmin for instance has unparelled maps, routing, etc. There are others. So for me, i don't mind paying for a good subscription for mapping, becuase I know the capabilites of other companies. Yes, they have to be updated, but that's for accurcy and quality. Google has the same issues. If you only need them occasionally, stick wtih Google, but if you really need quality directions, Google doesn't do it.

Last edited:

brnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat
I get that everyone loves google maps. They are easy, and on everyone's phone. And you can't be "free". But anyone who truly understands mapping, knows that the Google maps (while convenient) is actually a late comer to the mapping game. Other companies, have been developing maps and doing routing for years, better detailed, better quality, and far more accurate than google. Garmin for instance has unparelled maps, routing, etc. There are others. So for me, i don't mind paying for a good subscription for mapping, becuase I know the capabilites of other companies. Yes, they have to be updated, but that's for accurcy and quality. Google has the same issues. If you only need them occasionally, stick wtih Google, but if you really need quality directions, Google doesn't do it.
I agree that Garmin has excellent map data, and I understand the nature & expense of keeping map data up to date. But the OEM dash navs aren't Garmin. My rant is aimed at how the OEMs want to charge an ongoing fee for a product which is inferior to several free ones.

RCR001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Do you have links to these items? Would be greatly appreciated!
I get that everyone loves google maps. They are easy, and on everyone's phone. And you can't be "free". But anyone who truly understands mapping, knows that the Google maps (while convenient) is actually a late comer to the mapping game. Other companies, have been developing maps and doing routing for years, better detailed, better quality, and far more accurate than google. Garmin for instance has unparelled maps, routing, etc. There are others. So for me, i don't mind paying for a good subscription for mapping, becuase I know the capabilites of other companies. Yes, they have to be updated, but that's for accurcy and quality. Google has the same issues. If you only need them occasionally, stick wtih Google, but if you really need quality directions, Google doesn't do it.
Ford , dodge and GMC have their own maps, All of which are not up to the quality of Google maps. The Garmin maps would be my first choice !

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
I doubt either Carplay or AA allow video content, for safety reasons ☹
No they don't unfortunately apple and Android has the knockdown on their apps. Maybe some work around apps will be available to screen share later.
Sponsored