• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Questions for Lightning Event?

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
The weight is def going to be an issue in sand. Do you see many stock height 250/350 trucks out there?
Sponsored

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Ford has described the Lighning as 4 WD and lists "off road" as a drive mode. What is happening mechanically in off road mode?

4 WD is required for beach permits in my neck of the woods, meaning AWD need not apply. Is the Lightning going to qualify as 4 WD?
I don’t know about any mechanical changes but I’d bet there is a focus on throttle control. Maybe reducing the response to pedal pressure by half or something.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I will have to make more inquiries, but from what I've seen only 4Ă—4s are allowed. It is called a 4x4 beach permit. The sand is soft and ruts are deep. If the 150L has a locking rear diff, it will probably be alright...fingers crossed. I assume the F150L ground clearance will be similar to the average ICE F150. Hoping it can handle the ruts despite the added weight and not land me on the wall of shame.?
See the attached photo from a review video. Ford clearly calls this a "standard 4 x 4 system".

Ford F-150 Lightning Questions for Lightning Event? 4x4.PNG

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
See the attached photo from a review video. Ford clearly calls this a "standard 4 x 4 system".

4x4.PNG
I read that as "4x4" is not an option but is a standard feature on all models.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I read that as "4x4" is not an option but is a standard feature on all models.
But they called it a "std 4x4 system" vs "std awd system". That should be good enough for the beach permit, imo.

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
But they called it a "std 4x4 system" vs "std awd system". That should be good enough for the beach permit, imo.
That's what I was getting at, for the instance of the Beach Permit you should have no issues.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Thanks. The nerd in me still would like to know how the offroad thing works.
Nobody really knows until the teuckmis out in the world, or Ford shows more details. However, it's going to basically work like drive modes in any vehicle, it will modify the accelerator response and then tweak the traction control settings. It may or may not also have a hill descent control. The only mechanical thing it may do is activate the locking differential, if it has an auto feature. Otherwise, it may just make the lock on/off available where it may not be able to be activated in other modes.

OP
OP

BottledLightning

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crown Vic, Explorer
Is the instrument cluster trim final or will there be a chrome piece around the trim?

2022-ford-f-150-lightning-dashboard-carbuzz-846821.jpg

2021-ford-f-150-gauge-cluster-carbuzz-795377.jpg
Not at all final. Ford was apparently pissed that videos from the ride along got out. Found out something fascinating about these early production trucks.

They are TWO levels of pre-production ahead of when Ford typically puts units out for people to see. There are 6 in the nation, we had four of them, and normally they would never leave the proving grounds. The next level is for proving grounds and journalists to see only, followed finally with true pre-production units. All 6 are hand built and you can tell up close.

OP
OP

BottledLightning

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crown Vic, Explorer
I know it has been asked, but keep pushing on them on when the order banks will open and the production numbers.

And this is more for the drive vs. a question, but how is the acceleration at higher speeds (say above 50). The Mach-e GT is seeing some issues here (more than expected power falloff with speed.
"Fourth Quarter, no comment on production numbers"

We never had a chance to accelerate at those kinds of speeds. The course was very windy and wet. The driver took the truck far faster than I would in those conditions and I was one of the last to go. Mind bending for a vehicle that size and heft to move like it did.

Sponsored
OP
OP

BottledLightning

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crown Vic, Explorer
  • I'd like to know the all the add on costs a la carte for a fully loaded Pro, running boards?, 360 camera, and the other options (9.6Kw Pro on board power), max towing pkg(what if any increase in towing does this get), cloth seats?.
  • Confirm the cost of the 80A EVSE and that you can use the Vehicle to grid with the standard battery pack.
    • Is the 80A AC only (with the DC pins for Vehicle to Grid) or is it full CCS AC and DC?
They had zero info on pricing, and they do not anticipate cloth seats being available. I know others have made the comment "if it is on the gas it should carry over" but that is totally inaccurate. For example, B&O can be had on XLT gas, not electric. If that was actually the case then ordering these will be a nightmare of too many options.

No truck to grid with small battery. They don't have cost on the 80A but anticipate between 800-1200.

Max tow should increase standard battery from 5K to 7.7K.

OP
OP

BottledLightning

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crown Vic, Explorer
Don't expect anything different, the same thing use to happen to my Model 3, it also depends on charge. EV's at highway speeds have enough power to get out of their way, but if you are looking to outrun an ICE..... it's not going to happen

Can you ask about software updates to increase range in the future?
They defaulted to typical over the air updates will make your truck better answers.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
No truck to grid with small battery. They don't have cost on the 80A but anticipate between 800-1200.
Did this mean you cannot use the whole house backup on the standard battery is "truck to grid" something else?

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Did this mean you cannot use the whole house backup on the standard battery is "truck to grid" something else?
My understanding is that it will work but you will have to buy the 80A EVSE separately, and runtime is reduced relative to battery capacity.

JPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Occupation
Rebar Detailer/Estimator
I will have to make more inquiries, but from what I've seen only 4Ă—4s are allowed. It is called a 4x4 beach permit. The sand is soft and ruts are deep. If the 150L has a locking rear diff, it will probably be alright...fingers crossed. I assume the F150L ground clearance will be similar to the average ICE F150. Hoping it can handle the ruts despite the added weight and not land me on the wall of shame.?
According to this picture of the Offroad Mode settings I took at the Seattle Demo last week it appears it will have a locking diff!

Ford F-150 Lightning Questions for Lightning Event? IMG_0843.JPG
Sponsored