• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Questions for Lightning Event?

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
Ford is not the only solution for SR battery buyers. Search the web for "V2L", "V2H", "V2G", or "bi-directional charging".

The industry is moving very fast...
Sponsored

OP
OP

BottledLightning

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crown Vic, Explorer
My understanding is that it will work but you will have to buy the 80A EVSE separately, and runtime is reduced relative to battery capacity.
They said it will not work unless you have the large battery but I don't 100% believe them. They were almost as much in the dark as we are right now (dealers)

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
They said it will not work unless you have the large battery but I don't 100% believe them. They were almost as much in the dark as we are right now (dealers)
The extended batteries have a different on board charging system (dual chargers I believe, I do understand that power in doesn't equal power out). Would this have anything to do with why they may claim only the Extended Battery can do that?

OP
OP

BottledLightning

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crown Vic, Explorer
The extended batteries have a different on board charging system (dual chargers I believe, I do understand that power in doesn't equal power out). Would this have anything to do with why they may claim only the Extended Battery can do that?
It is and I have seen that listed as a reason.

Also got an insight on range while towing. Not much but I'll take it. They had one Lightning there that was only towing wherever they went a 5,500 LB trailer hard. At our ride along it accelerated hard up a hill before doing some more driving over the rest of the course. The driver said the onboard calculator for range shows 287 miles then it drops instantly to 247 when they hook up the trailer. He said Ford really doesn't have an answer yet since when he started the tour Ford was asking him for insights.

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
It is and I have seen that listed as a reason.

Also got an insight on range while towing. Not much but I'll take it. They had one Lightning there that was only towing wherever they went a 5,500 LB trailer hard. At our ride along it accelerated hard up a hill before doing some more driving over the rest of the course. The driver said the onboard calculator for range shows 287 miles then it drops instantly to 247 when they hook up the trailer. He said Ford really doesn't have an answer yet since when he started the tour Ford was asking him for insights.
I'd imagine at the event they are topping out at 25-35 mph.
I'm guessing this is a box trailer. I'd bet a lot bigger hit is going to occur if you are driving 65-75 with that same trailer. And even bigger hit with a camper as there's a lot more wind resistance.

shikataganai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
100 series Land Cruiser, Pacifica Hybrid
Vehicle to home doesn't use the on-board chargers at all.

It's DC from the vehicle battery to the wall-mounted inverter, part of the 80A EVSE setup.

Ford's own documentation states the standard range battery + 80A EVSE can do Intelligent Backup Power.

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
Vehicle to home doesn't use the on-board chargers at all.

It's DC from the vehicle battery to the wall-mounted inverter, part of the 80A EVSE setup.

Ford's own documentation states the standard range battery + 80A EVSE can do Intelligent Backup Power.
This is correct. Not sure why there is so much confusion/discussion about it.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
This is correct. Not sure why there is so much confusion/discussion about it.
Apparently a lot of people are misinformed or misinterprete that because it is included with the ER means that it won't work with the SR.

Kiggulak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, 2013 Focus EV, 2019 Model 3LR
Apparently a lot of people are misinformed or misinterprete that because it is included with the ER means that it won't work with the SR.
Yes my question was more along the lines of does the 80A CCS plug only use the DC pins for battery backup (V2G) or does it actually charge using those pins too?

Lots of configuration questions ... time to start my own excel of options and trims and financed costs with vehicle vs aftermarket purchases on my own financing.

Sponsored
OP
OP

BottledLightning

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crown Vic, Explorer
Yes my question was more along the lines of does the 80A CCS plug only use the DC pins for battery backup (V2G) or does it actually charge using those pins too?

Lots of configuration questions ... time to start my own excel of options and trims and financed costs with vehicle vs aftermarket purchases on my own financing.
From what I have been told the DC pins are for backup only.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
From what I have been told the DC pins are for backup only.
It's my understanding they use 480volts for most DCFC stations and I don't believe you are going to be able to get that amount of service at a residence. Plus there's really no advantage to attempting to charge that fast at home as the 80amp 240 charge will easily fill the battery overnight.

Kiggulak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, 2013 Focus EV, 2019 Model 3LR
It's my understanding they use 480volts for most DCFC stations and I don't believe you are going to be able to get that amount of service at a residence. Plus there's really no advantage to attempting to charge that fast at home as the 80amp 240 charge will easily fill the battery overnight.
trying to assess if i can use my J1772 to tesla adapter for the top half of the 80A evse to charge the model 3 in the garage on the off days or if I need the full Setec CCS adapter for $600, If I get ER or the 80A for home backup.

Last edited:

shikataganai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
100 series Land Cruiser, Pacifica Hybrid
trying to assess if i can use my J1772 to tesla adapter for the top half of the 80A evse to charge the model 3 in the garage on the off days or if I need the full Setec CCS adapter for $600, If I get ER or the 80A for home backup.
My guess would be that the former would work. Charging is clearly going to be AC, level 2, so as long as the non-pin part of the adapter (to lock on to the lip) doesn't foul on the combined CCS connector then it should work… in theory.
Sponsored