Sponsored

Question on the higher trim leathers (Limited, Platinum, KR)

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Much cheaper to go with a wrap on those parts. I'll probably wrap the chrome mirrors to match the body. Few hundred bucks and you can change out all the chrome without hassle.
^ Duh, yep, that's the way to do it. I think I am going to order Smoked Quartz Platinum and I am considering having the wheels wrapped or dipped similar to my Tacoma.

Ford F-150 Question on the higher trim leathers (Limited, Platinum, KR) 1603292560403
Ford F-150 Question on the higher trim leathers (Limited, Platinum, KR) 1603292672815
Sponsored

travekinman

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998 F150, 2010 BMW 325i wagon, 2009 Jeep Wrangler
You're coming to the same realization that a lot of 2021 buyers on this forum have come to...Ford doesn't build them the way you want to buy them. LOL!

I looked at 2020 bumper parts and OEM painted parts to replace the chrome was in the ballpark of $1,000. I would find the configuration of truck that is closest to what you want (which sounds like Platinum) and roll with it.
LOL. So it appears. I tend to agree. Matt, for me too, Platinum probably is the route to go and yes along with Smoked Quartz, maybe Antimatter Blue or Cabonized Gray - I prefer to put eyes on the color choice before deciding. Executor makes a good point on wrapping. Dipping wheels is also an interesting thought. I will look into both. That leaves the big chrome colored 'Platinum' marquee on the backside ?!?

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think the answer is the same, have it wrapped or sprayed. You can also opt for Iconic Silver, which will mute the appearance of the trim.

Ford F-150 Question on the higher trim leathers (Limited, Platinum, KR) 1603302369937
Ford F-150 Question on the higher trim leathers (Limited, Platinum, KR) 1603302527133

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
I think the answer is the same, have it wrapped or sprayed. You can also opt for Iconic Silver, which will mute the appearance of the trim.

1603302369937.png
1603302527133.png
The White Platinum would look very, very nice with most if not all of the exterior chrome lettering and pieces covered in black.

I wonder what the cost difference would be between having it painted versus wrapped.

Bo15

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch 4x4, 2010 F-150 Platinum 4x4
Hi. Newbie here. Great info. I was leaning Platinum but like some of the KR colors and styling too. Priced out both with what I thought were the same options for both but the KR is about $2000 more. Odd. Seems to have something to do with the X01A selection, 360 camera, and tow package selection. Issue discussed elsewhere on Tow packages and options that for me is confusing. The Platty seems like a better value (maybe). Thanks for the info and strategies!

Sponsored

travekinman

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998 F150, 2010 BMW 325i wagon, 2009 Jeep Wrangler
The White Platinum would look very, very nice with most if not all of the exterior chrome lettering and pieces covered in black.

I wonder what the cost difference would be between having it painted versus wrapped.

1603302369937.png
1603302527133.png
Ok Now this I like!!!! Thanks guys for the pic's. I had to see this to get the perspective. Who does this sort of thing making it look as professional as you posted. Are there franchised locations out there, specialty shops or is this body shop work?

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think you could go several ways, depending on how you want your truck to look and for how long. Google Plasti-dip, Car wrap, or automotive paint shop and add the name of where you live and a lot of shops should pop up. Talk to a few and send them photos of what you want to do.

- Plasti-Dip: Pretty temporary and not all that durable. Will likely need attention in 12 months to maintain, but is easy to remove.

- Wrap: A more long term solution and the vinyl is more durable. If you don't like it or want to remove it in the future, you can with little effort.

- Paint: The paint match would be the closest, will be a durable as the rest of the truck, but it is permanent.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Wrangler JLU; 20 Navigator L; 19 Volvo XC60 T8
Hmmmmm ... I like the SPORT look on the Lariat but in general I like the highest trim of vehicles. What would I be tangibly missing on the Lariat versus the Platinum/Limited? I didn't love the seat colors on either the Platinum or Limited, but I'm guessing the leather is of higher quality?

I want the Carbonized Gray exterior with the Sport to get the dark grey wheels and "blacked" out trim.

Why's this always so difficult? :D

jfdube999

First Name
Jean-Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum 4x4 FX4, 2020 Edge Titanium, 2019 Escape Ti, 2019 Mustang GT PP2
the Carmelo is a very bright orange/yellow, where the tan is a more subdued earth tone.
I have the Carmelo Platinum. At first, looking at the pictures posted here, I also thought the Carmelo looked Yellowish, but in person, now that I have it, it's a very nice tan color and doesn't look yellow/orange at all. Exactly what I was hoping for.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
You can't get max recline seats in the lariat, or wireless charging. Other than that, I'm not sure if there's much besides special interior finishes and exterior colors

Sponsored

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I was set on getting a Platinum or Limited. But when I saw them, I thought the interiors were too much. I don't like the badges, quilted leather, etc. I ended up buying a Lariat with leather and I like it much better. It wasn't that much cheaper (it's a 701a) and doesn't have real wood (which I like), but it fits my taste better.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
Hmmmmm ... I like the SPORT look on the Lariat but in general I like the highest trim of vehicles. What would I be tangibly missing on the Lariat versus the Platinum/Limited? I didn't love the seat colors on either the Platinum or Limited, but I'm guessing the leather is of higher quality?

I want the Carbonized Gray exterior with the Sport to get the dark grey wheels and "blacked" out trim.

Why's this always so difficult? :D
The main items that you’d be missing are standard power running boards, and the upgraded B&O system.

Yes, the grade of leather in the KR, Platinum, and Limited is better than the leather in the Lariat.

Difficult?

It’s not difficult at all.

You should just build a Lariat on the Ford website and compare the end price to a Platinum and Limited.

You must start with a Lariat that includes the 502A package and then add the features that come standard on a Platinum.

Outside of the different interior trim, seats, and wheels, there isn’t anything that you can get on a Platinum and Limited that you can’t get on a Lariat from the factory.

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Wrangler JLU; 20 Navigator L; 19 Volvo XC60 T8
I was set on getting a Platinum or Limited. But when I saw them, I thought the interiors were too much. I don't like the badges, quilted leather, etc. I ended up buying a Lariat with leather and I like it much better. It wasn't that much cheaper (it's a 701a) and doesn't have real wood (which I like), but it fits my taste better.
Yes, I agree with your sentiments.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
The main items that you’d be missing are standard power running boards, and the upgraded B&O system.

Yes, the grade of leather in the KR, Platinum, and Limited is better than the leather in the Lariat.

Difficult?

It’s not difficult at all.

You should just build a Lariat on the Ford website and compare the end price to a Platinum and Limited.

You must start with a Lariat that includes the 502A package and then add the features that come standard on a Platinum.

Outside of the different interior trim, seats, and wheels, there isn’t anything that you can get on a Platinum and Limited that you can’t get on a Lariat from the factory.
No massage seats on a Lariat.