Sponsored

Question on the higher trim leathers (Limited, Platinum, KR)

MileHiGuy

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3500 Ram CTD Mega Cap
Occupation
Contractor
Great information on this site and for those who have been able to see these trims side by side at the Test Drive events, can you give me your reaction to the feel and overal impressions on these trims?

The KR looks darker than the Platinum but maybe that is deceiving?
The KR insert leather looks like a herringbone texture which would make one think it’s pleather feeling?
The Limited gray looks great and supple but can’t tell if it’s too light to be practical?

Thanks for any impressions for those lucky enough to have gone to one of these events. Tough to make this kind of order from pictures but I don’t want to wait any longer than I have to either?
Sponsored

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
Great information on this site and for those who have been able to see these trims side by side at the Test Drive events, can you give me your reaction to the feel and overal impressions on these trims?

The KR looks darker than the Platinum but maybe that is deceiving?
The KR insert leather looks like a herringbone texture which would make one think it’s pleather feeling?
The Limited gray looks great and supple but can’t tell if it’s too light to be practical?
Not sure what you mean by the KR looking darker than the Platinum? If you mean the leather seems darker in the KR versus the Carmelo leather in the Platinum, then yes I would agree, the Dark Brown and Tan of the KR is darker than the Carmelo. However, the all Black Platinum with just the small accent stripes is darker than the KR, and looked very nice.

The KR Insert leather just has a unique perforation pattern that gives it that 3-D appearance in pictures, but it is not woven, it is comprised of sheets of tan leather with the perforations making it look more "textured" than it really is.

The Limited grey inserts do look like very light grey, so they won't hide dirt/stains as well as the darker colors.

If you are looking for the combo that will hide dirt and stains the best, the Black Platinum is the way to go, followed by the KR, and then the Limited.

All three were very nicely done, and just appeal to different color palettes and tastes.

OP
OP

MileHiGuy

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3500 Ram CTD Mega Cap
Occupation
Contractor
@Roger350
Thanks for the feedback. Yes i was comparing the Carmelo inserts to the lighter brown of the KR. Some pictures of the Platinum they look similar and some make them look very light.

I have not seen good pictures of the Black Platinum interior. I see the selection on the Build and Price but the pictures still show Carmelo.

The gray inserts on the Limited look good but when They are too light, it become less of a Useful truck.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, then the tan inserts on the KR versus the Carmelo inserts on the Platinum, the KR is slightly darker, but it's mostly that the Carmelo is a very bright orange/yellow, where the tan is a more subdued earth tone. I'm not sure that the KR tan is really that much darker, as opposed to the fact that it's just not a bright color like the Carmelo. I think there are some pics on the site of the Black Platinum interior, it is really sharp looking. I ordered a KR, because I like the brown tones and the wood better, but the black Platinum is a close second in my book. Can't go wrong with any of them, it just comes down to personal taste.

Last edited:

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
@Roger350
Thanks for the feedback. Yes i was comparing the Carmelo inserts to the lighter brown of the KR. Some pictures of the Platinum they look similar and some make them look very light.

I have not seen good pictures of the Black Platinum interior. I see the selection on the Build and Price but the pictures still show Carmelo.

The gray inserts on the Limited look good but when They are too light, it become less of a Useful truck.

Sponsored

OP
OP

MileHiGuy

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3500 Ram CTD Mega Cap
Occupation
Contractor
Thanks for the link, best pictures I have seen so far.

Does anyone know if a monochromatic KR can be had with painted bumpers? The only way I have seen them painted is with the two tone and the lower sections are always the brown. Going for Iconic Silver and as Little chrome as possible with the way our winters attack the chrome.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for the link, best pictures I have seen so far.

Does anyone know if a monochromatic KR can be had with painted bumpers? The only way I have seen them painted is with the two tone and the lower sections are always the brown. Going for Iconic Silver and as Little chrome as possible with the way our winters attack the chrome.
No sir, you either get the two-tone lower grey/tan paint, or the chrome. If you want monochromatic with body colored bumpers you either have to go up to the Platinum, or down to the Lariat.

travekinman

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998 F150, 2010 BMW 325i wagon, 2009 Jeep Wrangler
No sir, you either get the two-tone lower grey/tan paint, or the chrome. If you want monochromatic with body colored bumpers you either have to go up to the Platinum, or down to the Lariat.
On the F150 build and price website I see the option to sport or monochrome the Lariat, but don't have that option for the Platinum. I too would like to eliminate the chrome bumpers and grill and would consider/prefer the higher end model Platinum or even Limited if given the choice in monochrome. What am I missing?

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
The leather in the KR is a different and higher grade of leather than what’s in the Platinum hence the pattern/texture difference.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
On the F150 build and price website I see the option to sport or monochrome the Lariat, but don't have that option for the Platinum. I too would like to eliminate the chrome bumpers and grill and would consider/prefer the higher end model Platinum or even Limited if given the choice in monochrome. What am I missing?
I believe the Platinum and Limited already are monochromatic with body colored bumpers - here's the link to the grills that shows them to have body colored front bumpers:

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/2021-f-150-grilles-all-11-unique-grills-comparison.152/

Sponsored

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chrome bumpers are standard on the Lariat unless you get the Sport.

I would opt for the Platinum. You are going to get the color-scheme you like and everything is paint color keyed. You also get a lot of options standard and what I am told are nicer/more comfortable seats.

Ford F-150 Question on the higher trim leathers (Limited, Platinum, KR) 1603148841740

travekinman

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chrome bumpers are standard on the Lariat unless you get the Sport.

I would opt for the Platinum. You are going to get the color-scheme you like and everything is paint color keyed. You also get a lot of options standard and what I am told are nicer/more comfortable seats.

1603148841740.png
Thanks for your input. I tend to agree. However, I was thinking more on the line of the sport appearnace. For example you cannot choose the 20" 6-Spoke Dark Alloy Painted Aluminum Wheels on the Platinum, the grill still has some chrome features and the side view mirrors as well. The Platinum and Limited also have the big marquee logo in chrome on the tail. Gives the vehicle a different appearance/presentation. Still having said that I prefer the Platinum and Limited line over the Lariat since the cost is about the same once you load the Lariat with features the two others have standard and, as you mentioned contain additional creature comforts as well.

travekinman

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for your input. I tend to agree. However, I was thinking more on the line of the sport appearnace. For example you cannot choose the 20" 6-Spoke Dark Alloy Painted Aluminum Wheels on the Platinum, the grill still has some chrome features and the side view mirrors as well. The Platinum and Limited also have the big marquee logo in chrome on the tail. Gives the vehicle a different appearance/presentation. Still having said that I prefer the Platinum and Limited line over the Lariat since the cost is about the same once you load the Lariat with features the two others have standard and, as you mentioned contain additional creature comforts as well.
You're coming to the same realization that a lot of 2021 buyers on this forum have come to...Ford doesn't build them the way you want to buy them. LOL!

I looked at 2020 bumper parts and OEM painted parts to replace the chrome was in the ballpark of $1,000. I would find the configuration of truck that is closest to what you want (which sounds like Platinum) and roll with it.

executor485

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Explorer Platinum
You're coming to the same realization that a lot of 2021 buyers on this forum have come to...Ford doesn't build them the way you want to buy them. LOL!

I looked at 2020 bumper parts and OEM painted parts to replace the chrome was in the ballpark of $1,000. I would find the configuration of truck that is closest to what you want (which sounds like Platinum) and roll with it.
Much cheaper to go with a wrap on those parts. I'll probably wrap the chrome mirrors to match the body. Few hundred bucks and you can change out all the chrome without hassle.
Sponsored