• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Question on standard range for current EV owners

OP
OP
Pioneer74

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Looks like it would take you about 5.5 hours to dump 110 miles back into the truck with SR on a 48A EVSE that maxes out the onboard charger. ER would resupply the 110 miles in under 3.5 hours if your home can handle all 80A it can accept.

When I bought my first EV I got it home before having a level 2 EVSE installed. I wanted to get a sense of range and drained much of the battery. Got it home and put it on a 120VAC trickle but that is so slow that between that and wanting to drive it to work it took me something like a week to get it refilled. Obviously a lesson to get EVSE prepared to operate right away upon delivery, but also there is a feeling of wanting to get refilled as fast as possible to be ready to use the vehicle for whatever might come up - more so than any experienced "range anxiety" once you learn the vehicle can cover daily needs ( ersus road tripping).

If nothing else, carefully consider EVSE selection and wiring for the SR. You can pump in kWh the fastest at 48A continuous. 48A continuous requires a 60A breaker protecting the circuit. A 60A circuit breaker cannot protect a common 50A outlet. So expect to hardwire and make sure electrician is supporting a 48A or 50A EVSE with a 60A breaker and wiring.
I'm an Electrician. If I get the ER Lariat I will be installing the 80A unit provided with the truck. Not sure what unit I would install with an ER Mach-E.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I'm an Electrician. If I get the ER Lariat I will be installing the 80A unit provided with the truck. Not sure what unit I would install with an ER Mach-E.
We have a Mach-e GT (same battery as ER). To prep for the Lightning I had oversized wiring pulled (100A) to a disconnect and then a 40A EVSE tied off the disconnect. The breaker is sized for the EVSE currently.

The plan is once I get my Lightning, we will replace the EVSE and breaker (Plus add whatever other hardware is needed), but the wiring run is already in place.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Regarding wind resistance of an F-150... I have a PowerBoost F-150. In a headwind it really sucks the gasoline. Mileage drops from about 24-26 at 65mph to as low as 12-15. It goes on the turbos. I have learned to drop speed as much as 15mph when facing a stiff headwind.

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
There were people on this forum (or the Mach-E forum) somewhere, a lot smarter than me, that had data behind even if you charged to 100% every day for 13 years you wouldn't even see a 20% degradation in your battery or something similar. I wouldn't worry about the 100% charging if you needed it in the winter.

I've driven 2 different Bolts and now a Mach-E through many different seasons and I would consider your situation fine for the 230. Like I wouldn't even worry about it at all. The Mach-E would obviously be more efficient and would charge using less power but if you have a use for the truck then get the truck.

Honestly if my commute was over a hundred miles I would be grinning ear to ear every night when I plug in knowing how much in fuel costs I am saving every day, even in the less efficient Lightning. What a great use of an EV.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE, Explorer,C10
I can't speak to cold weather but a SR MachE can make that commute with over 20% to spare starting out a 90%. We do those types of trips once or twice a week without blinking.

In the winter I imagine if you precondition before unhooking in the morning you would be good. As for doing it in an F150 we just do not know but overall power used is sure to be higher.

We have a 40amp currently and have no plan to upgrade the F150. Any longer trips will be in the Mustang.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I can't speak to cold weather but a SR MachE can make that commute with over 20% to spare starting out a 90%. We do those types of trips once or twice a week without blinking.

In the winter I imagine if you precondition before unhooking in the morning you would be good. As for doing it in an F150 we just do not know but overall power used is sure to be higher.

We have a 40amp currently and have no plan to upgrade the F150. Any longer trips will be in the Mustang.
Cold weather will take up to 40 percent of your range, so using your numbers you wouldn't make it.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE, Explorer,C10
Cold weather will take up to 40 percent of your range, so using your numbers you wouldn't make it.
A 22 SR RWD would.

Sadly Ford will not be unlocking more buffer on my 21.

I would go to 100% in the winter months. To be safe.

Ford F-150 Lightning Question on standard range for current EV owners Screenshot_20220115-152259
Sponsored