Question for Line X on tailgate...

UNCGrad

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 AMB Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost 6.5 bed
I had my truck bed sprayed but they left the bottom rim of the tailgate bare. When questioned they said that this was the corporate standard for the 21 Ford so that the tailgate operates properly.

Has anyone else had Line X done and they left the bottom area bare.

Ford F-150 Question for Line X on tailgate... 20210412_141542_compress61
Sponsored

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
I had my truck bed sprayed but they left the bottom rim of the tailgate bare. When questioned they said that this was the corporate standard for the 21 Ford so that the tailgate operates properly.

Has anyone else had Line X done and they left the bottom area bare.

20210412_141542_compress61.jpg
My local LineX dealer (Brighton, MI) did spray the bottom of the tailgate all the way down to where the bolts are on the passenger side hinge. They did not spray the bolts as they said if the tailgate needs to be serviced the tech will need access to the bolts. My tailgate is shown below zoomed in on the area I'm referring to.

Ford F-150 Question for Line X on tailgate... Tailgate Linex

I'll have to take a closer look from inside the bed with the tailgate closed to see if perhaps the LineX material does interfere with the hinge clearance.

I believe that the Ford factory spray does it just like yours was done. The image below is from Ford marketing.

Ford F-150 Question for Line X on tailgate... 2021 F150 Worksurface Line-X a

terptruck90

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150 STX SuperCrew
Had my bed done by Line-X last week. They covered the whole tailgate no issue at all. One of the reasons I preferred to Line-X vs ordering from Ford- seems like a pretty vulnerable area. Sorry they didn’t do yours all the way but perhaps my line-x shop just didn’t get the official memo and is still doing it the old way.

Platimatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 701
Same for me, Linex did the painted parts of the tailgate.

CBGray

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 2.7L EB Screw 4x4 501A
Occupation
Software
They did my full tailgate as well. I don't have the power tailgate upgrade though if that matters.

Ford F-150 Question for Line X on tailgate... line_x

Sponsored

Wakevictim

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT 3.5L eb
Occupation
Military
My line-x was done all the way. No exposed paint.

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
To the OP. They also sprayed your bed bolts and tie down clamps. Unacceptable in my opinion. The tailgate should be sprayed all the way down as that part is highly acceptable to scratches.

OP
OP
UNCGrad

UNCGrad

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 AMB Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost 6.5 bed
Same for me, Linex did the painted parts of the tailgate.
Thanks for answer. I take it from your name that you have a Platinum correct? I was wondering if there may have been a difference with the power tailgate. Since yours was completely covered the answer would be no.

I just think that area needs to be covered since it's in such a vulnerable spot.

Rich1982

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT/302A
Occupation
Semi retired
Thanks for answer. I take it from your name that you have a Platinum correct? I was wondering if there may have been a difference with the power tailgate. Since yours was completely covered the answer would be no.

I just think that area needs to be covered since it's in such a vulnerable spot.
Did they remove the tie down plates? what about the power outlet, lights etc how was their work in those areas?

Platimatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 701
Yes it’s a Platinum and my dealer set everything up and brought the truck to Linex. They don’t use the closest Linex shop because that shop does not remove everything and pointed out the power outlet as an example. I’ve taken a few pics for you to see as it looks like they took all of the pieces off the tailgate as well - the dealer pointed this out when I picked up the truck.

Ford F-150 Question for Line X on tailgate... 77A60451-8A7A-4EDC-B336-E51488361910

Ford F-150 Question for Line X on tailgate... FEF315E1-85A6-4813-9158-934083CD2444

Ford F-150 Question for Line X on tailgate... 4F2F1163-3480-4D3B-A42D-D1E37C1D8E4D

Ford F-150 Question for Line X on tailgate... 870C0256-0AFA-4EBC-9D93-341881A51F14

Sponsored

wilmaj32

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
08 GT500, 21 Powerboost Lariat , 12 Expedition
Occupation
Retired
I'm having mine done today. He told me hes not touching the tailgate at all! I guess maybe thats better than a little line X ring around the work center plastic insert.
I guess I'll find out in about 2 hrs!

Platimatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 701
Since it’s painted I’m glad they did it. I’ve loaded the bed with a lot of stuff already and if there was paint it would be seriously marred up by now

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Scheduled my Line-X liner today.

I asked about the tailgate, and the guy said the same thing about the 2021 F-150 tailgates being too advanced with the cameras, sensors, and power mechanisms so they will not spray the tailgate because of liability and possibly messing something up.

I also did specifically ask about removing all bolts, drain plugs, lights, and the power outlet, and he advised that removing them score application was standard procedure.

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
Scheduled my Line-X liner today.

I asked about the tailgate, and the guy said the same thing about the 2021 F-150 tailgates being too advanced with the cameras, sensors, and power mechanisms so they will not spray the tailgate because of liability and possibly messing something up.
I think that's a cop-out answer from someone that doesn't want to do the extra work involved with spraying the tailgate, or just doesn't have the knowledge/experience.

Cameras and power tailgates have been around for several years now, and even the Ford factory liner has the tailgate sprayed.

I'd find another LineX dealer.

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
My local LineX dealer (Brighton, MI) did spray the bottom of the tailgate all the way down to where the bolts are on the passenger side hinge. They did not spray the bolts as they said if the tailgate needs to be serviced the tech will need access to the bolts. My tailgate is shown below zoomed in on the area I'm referring to.

Tailgate Linex.jpg

I'll have to take a closer look from inside the bed with the tailgate closed to see if perhaps the LineX material does interfere with the hinge clearance.
I checked and I don't think there are any clearance issues in the tailgate hinge area when it's in the closed position.
Sponsored